Rugby Union

kiwififer

There might be a case for letting Georgia into the 6 nations and going there is one issue. However Italy have failed to make the jump really. Sure a few results here and there but they are not improving and are not near any 6 nations teams in ranking and Georgia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga are higher ranked. 
You wonder if there is more of a case for removing Italy out of the Pro12, returning to their national leagues and putting them Euro Champions competition might help Italian rugby more...

Generally agree but then every so often they pull out a marquee result like beating saffers. The Pro12 sides are certainly an issue. Aside from beating embra (bugger) very little progress is being seen from their clubs. Dunno if new Rome franchise n better tv deal will help them.

I'd like to see it expanded to Eight Nations, the bottom team based on combined two-year total gets relegated after every second season (so that each team had the opportunity to play each other home and away).

I've no idea how you would squeeze the extra two games in though.

I've no idea how you would squeeze the extra two games in though.

Use the two blank weekends they have (this would make the tournament run for seven weeks solid) or play a couple of midweek games

I really like the six team structure. Promotion and relegation is fine in principle, but it'd just be a case of Georgia and Italy - or Scotland - swapping places every year. I think there's more of a case for seven nations, but even that tinkers with the duration of the tournament a bit.

Rugby players get hardly any off time as it stands. No way they should be playing even more games imo
Simple promotion relegation imo

In theory one of the weekends from the autumn internationals could be used. Some of the sides played 4 games in the autumn. If that was reduced to 2 then overall the players wouldn't be playing anymore games.

I really like the six team structure. Promotion and relegation is fine in principle, but it'd just be a case of Georgia and Italy - or Scotland - swapping places every year. I think there's more of a case for seven nations, but even that tinkers with the duration of the tournament a bit.

If you're having seven teams, you may as well have eight as it would take seven weeks to complete, either way.

Not in favour of keeping it at six with promotion and relegation as you'd just have the same teams swapping divisions all the time and that would give them little chance to stabilise and improve.

I think whatever way it has to be over a 2 year cycle so you play everyone home and away so no one gets an advantage of home games.

The best way to move forward, IMHO would be to incorporate the 6 nations B / REC into the current 6 nations so both competitions come under the same umbrella. Rugby Europe dont seem to be doing enough to promote the REC and I am sure the 6 Nations could help out to raise the standards / awareness of the competition. The amount of times you hear people (and this is rugby people) saying, why dont Georgia and Romania start their own competition.....

2ndly ensure each year the 6 nations A teams, have to play an away game against a 6 nations B team, either June or November. The only way these teams will improve is playing better teams, as they say you learn more from losing, than winning. Given 4 or 6 years then you can add in promotion and relegation as the standard of the B competition should have improved and also the finances so the drop isn't as big for anyone relegated

More spaces for club teams in Europe for clubs outside the AP / Pro 12 / Top 14. At the moment there are only 2 spaces this year Enisei-STM again won a few games, Timosaora didn't win any but both have to play off against the top 2 teams from the 3rd tier tournament for place in 2nd tier cup.

Clubs playing in the 3rd tier are losing money by playing, it needs more funding. At the moment its the best team from Belgium, Spain, Russia, Germany and the top 4 Italian club sides.

Play off 

Mogliano vs Enisei-STM
Krasny Yar vs Timishoara

Edited by honestly united

With regard to player fatigue I'm wondering whether we need to have as many overseas tours, at least for the full squad. There's already lions ( I know we are rarely heavily involved) and an rwc to fit into the 4 year cycle. If anything perhaps let the top players rest and have more of a b squad going on tour in summer maybe?

What's the logic behind doing the RWC draw 2 and a half years before the tournament?

By the time the 2015 tournament started, despite England, Wales and Australia all being in the top 4 in the world...they all ended up in the same group! Solely because Wales were 9th in the world 3 years beforehand.

I suppose the advantage is it gives more time to sell tickets and for people to plan travel, accommodation, etc. Does seem a bit excessive though, after the next Six Nations might be more sensible. The football World Cup draw is normally made about six or seven months in advance.

Apparently Glasgow have signed a fly half from stormers on a 2 month deal. Dunno what he's like but hopefully that will help with Pro12. Can't afford to drop many points from now on in.

Brandon Thomson is his name, he's one of 8 Warriors included in the Glasgow Hawks squad for Saturday.

If you reduced the summer tours by the Six Nations sides to the Southern Hemisphere/North America and Japan you end up reducing one of there biggest income streams.

Well perhaps not reduce but look to use fringe players more. Would also be nice to see nz / aus / sa visiting Fiji / tonga / Samoa more.

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

Pretty much, although I wouldn't class any of the others as easy games. I dont think its as easy as us or Argentina, France, Wales and potentially Ireland could get dragged in if they have really bad 6 Nations

I see also the BBC are running another piece about letting Georgia into the 6 Nations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38907843

This will be the same country who couldn't beat 2nd bottom of the Premiership Newcastle before the RWC, in fact they weren't just beaten that night they were truly outclassed in every aspect (mind you we did beat a Tongan national side a few years before so we can't be that bad really).

The 6 nations does not have a moral obligation to develop the world game, that's the role of IRB/World Rugby or whatever name they want to be called this week and they should structure tournaments and international windows to ensure that Tier 2 nations get exposure to playing the bigger teams even if it is either at a development/A Team level of non cap level (the Churchill Cup was good for Canada and USA in this respect) .  

At this risk of some serious whataboutery come backs if you want Europe to develop one of the most prestigious tournaments then the SH have to go and help dig out Japan and the PIs by running a mirror 6Ns with relegation and promotion and I can't see the ABs or the Shackle Draggers being happy with having their little pot of gold shared around.

2 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

This will be the same country who couldn't beat 2nd bottom of the Premiership Newcastle before the RWC, in fact they weren't just beaten that night they were truly outclassed in every aspect (mind you we did beat a Tongan national side a few years before so we can't be that bad really).

The 6 nations does not have a moral obligation to develop the world game, that's the role of IRB/World Rugby or whatever name they want to be called this week and they should structure tournaments and international windows to ensure that Tier 2 nations get exposure to playing the bigger teams even if it is either at a development/A Team level of non cap level (the Churchill Cup was good for Canada and USA in this respect) .  

At this risk of some serious whataboutery come backs if you want Europe to develop one of the most prestigious tournaments then the SH have to go and help dig out Japan and the PIs by running a mirror 6Ns with relegation and promotion and I can't see the ABs or the Shackle Draggers being happy with having their little pot of gold shared around.

Given 70% of the votes of World Rugby is held by the 6 nations and the Rugby Championship then any change is the responbility of the 6 nations and the RC, but they are only going to vote for self preservation. If they cant get games outside of the world cup, the tier 2 teams are nver going to progress, but maybe thats what the established teams want.

Argentina have done more to help promote the game taking part in both the south american championship, the Americas 6 nations on top of the Jaguares and RC. They are letting Uruguay and Paraguay play in their regional cup.

And I totally agree, NZ and Oz should be doing a lot more to help the PI teams. SA at least open up the vodacom and curry cup to the likes of Namibia and Zimbwawe.