Rugby Union

kiwififer

OK, bit gutted we finished 4th, but you have to admit, Wales and England losing was funny. So, so funny. Wales with the 20 mins injury time loss - funny. England's date with destiny and grand slam, so, so funny. I laughed.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

OK, bit gutted we finished 4th, but you have to admit, Wales and England losing was funny. So, so funny. Wales with the 20 mins injury time loss - funny. England's date with destiny and grand slam, so, so funny. I laughed.

Agreed. I reckon the Irish owe us a debt of gratitude. We tired England out last week, making them run up and down the park to score all those points. Well done the Oirish.

6 minutes ago, GAD said:

No idea why so many posters dislike Wales.  I think the whiny, cheating, leek-munching, daffodil-wearing, ignorant fandans are very much 5th on merit.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No idea why so many posters dislike Wales.  I think the whiny, cheating, leek-munching, daffodil-wearing, ignorant fandans are very much 5th on merit.

I work with them mate, them being good at rugby and football is an insufferable state of affairs.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

I work with them mate, them being good at rugby and football is an insufferable state of affairs.

Setting aside my tongue in cheek post, I played Yooni rugby in the early-mid 80s and every fat boyo from Neith thought he was JJ and every medic assumed they were JPR and we saw an horrendous outbreak of sideburns.

Utter cretins to a man...except for Katherine Jenkins, Shirley Bassey and Anthony Hopkins.  Stick that Pontypool Front Row up yer arse, Mr Boyce.

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I blame Thatcher. She freed them from the bowels of the Earth to walk among us.

Oh, and  "an horrendous"? An horse? An hog?  An h**?:P

Never understood the 'an' in front of some aitches but not others. It's not as if they are all silent. 

If one team beats all the others but with low, narrow scorelines, i.e.no bonus points,  could the 'second best' team win the championship by scoring lots of tries in winning all their other games?

Yes.

Four bonus point wins + a losing bonus = 21 points
Five wins = 20 points

That'd be funny.

Anyway, well done Ireland. Fourth for Scotland doesn't do 4 of 5 performances justice, but it's undoubtedly a step forward all the same.

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

I blame Thatcher. She freed them from the bowels of the Earth to walk among us.

By closing the pits?  Wasn't that down to the Scotsman Ian MacGregor?

'a' and 'an' as articles before a soft 'h'?  I'd say 'an 'otel'..but 'a hurricane'?  Isn't that how everyone speaks?

Yes.

Four bonus point wins + a losing bonus = 21 points
Five wins = 20 points

That'd be funny.

Anyway, well done Ireland. Fourth for Scotland doesn't do 4 of 5 performances justice, but it's undoubtedly a step forward all the same.

I'm pretty sure I seen when they were introducing the new bonus points system that if a team does do the grand slam they are awarded 3 extra points. Just so this sort of thing doesn't actually happen.

I'm pretty sure I seen when they were introducing the new bonus points system that if a team does do the grand slam they are awarded 3 extra points. Just so this sort of thing doesn't actually happen.

That is correct. Because a team can actually lose 1 and get 22 points.... if they lose by less than 7 and score 4 tries. Grand slam gets u 23 points at least

Yeah, you're right. It rung a bell when you said that (hopefully this works):

http://www.rbs6nations.com/mobile/en/championship/rules.php#wHwPvC3IOTiUMS1J.97

47 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

They're a bunch of cheating tosspots. As much as I was displeased to see France win today (for 2nd place reasons), it was fun to see them do to the Welsh what they would happily do to others.

Decided to watch La Rochelle-Brive (Toonie's old side) tonight. Very clear to see why La Rochelle are top of the Top 14. They play a lot like Glasgow - very entertaining. Their scrum half tonight is 5'6" and about 15 stone. A barrel with legs.

*edit* La Rochelle have just run in a sexy third try there.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

6 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

They're a bunch of cheating tosspots. As much as I was displeased to see France win today, it was fun to see them do to the Welsh what they would happily do to others.

Decided to watch La Rochelle-Brive (Toonie's old side) tonight. Very clear to see why La Rochelle are top of the Top 14. They play a lot like Glasgow - very entertaining. Their scrum half tonight is 5'6" and about 15 stone. A barrel with legs.

20 years ago he'd have been a hooker.  Then again, every hooker I ever played with wanted to be a scrum half.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

20 years ago he'd have been a hooker.  Then again, every hooker I ever played with wanted to be a scrum half.

One of the teams I played with tried to convert me to hooker. Never happening. Mind you, the same team decided to play me at inside centre after I dislocated my shoulder for the 97th time so...

4th place would be a very poor return for 3 wins tbf. We made Ireland look piss poor for 40 min but England look like the all blacks for 80 so it's a bit of a weird one. Beginning to regret the fact we couldn't find that 4th try v Ireland n the 2nd 40 min. Think the table is harsh on us and kind to France. Re Italy don't think they gained a single point. Appreciate there's a huge job ahead for O'Shea but not gaining a point or even being close to one opens up debate for a play off v Georgia. That said we beat Georgia very easily indeed so not sure they are ready yet either.

Tbf Georgia don't get 10 games a year vs top.teams to be playing at that standard

Romania could yet win REC 2017.

Decider v Georgia tomorrow.

EDIT: IMO the scores of 2yrs tournaments (i.e. 10 games) should be aggregated - then bottom of 6N and top of REC contest a 2-legged playoff in even-numbered Junes.

Edited by HibeeJibee