Rugby Union

kiwififer

Apparently after Twickenham 7s Robertson is retiring. Such a shame....id say hes hitting his peak tbh. That said hes got an Olympic silver in his pocket n hes helped push our 7s side on superbly to point we won a cup a year ago. He was immense in Paris as was wee George Horne. Rather like sean lamont robbo is a slightly unsung hero

Got a few questions if anyone on here can answer

1) how close is the SRU to a third pro team. When typed into Google there is a couple of old articles about it but not much else. Is their interest in the SRU and is it realistic to happen? I base this query on adding to the pro 12

2) What happened to the proposed 8 team semi pro league the SRU were looking at setting up. Again a Google search has 1 or 2 old articles on it but nothing else. Is it still happening?

3) I seen the changes to champions cup qualification and I agree with them but is there any changes to challenge cup qualification not seen anything on that?

Thanks

Got a few questions if anyone on here can answer

1) how close is the SRU to a third pro team. When typed into Google there is a couple of old articles about it but not much else. Is their interest in the SRU and is it realistic to happen? I base this query on adding to the pro 12

2) What happened to the proposed 8 team semi pro league the SRU were looking at setting up. Again a Google search has 1 or 2 old articles on it but nothing else. Is it still happening?

3) I seen the changes to champions cup qualification and I agree with them but is there any changes to challenge cup qualification not seen anything on that?

Thanks

Nothing happening akaik 3rd pro team. There was talk about private money rebooting caley reds out of Aberdeen but nothing concrete has ever happened. There was also talk about closer links with London Scottish so it would effectively be that 3rd team but not sure if that's going anywhere either. As for a semi pro top league it's that in all but name. All the top tier sides pay their 1st team players. No idea on 3rd point though I'd like to see the champions cup extended so all 2nd place sides go into knockout stage which would open up more challenge cup places especially for nations outside the usual suspects

Final sevens squad of the season
1. SCOTT RIDDELL (56) CAPTAIN

2. DOUGIE FIFE (15)

3. HUGH BLAKE (15)

4. GRAYSON HART (3)

5. GLENN BRYCE (8)

6. MARK ROBERTSON (56)

7. JAMIE FARNDALE (20)

8. JO NAYACAVOU (26)

9. GEORGE HORNE (5)

10. SCOTT WIGHT (29)

11. JAMES FLEMING (42)

12. JACK CUTHBERT (2)

There has been rumblings off a 3rd team for quite a while, and it would be quite welcome to boost the available pro playing pool as we dont have enough players getting regular game time. The last I heard there was some discussion on how the money would be best spent between a 3rd team (which would be largely self sufficent / require a partner / lean heavily on institute of sport for players) or spreading the money to professionalise the scottish league with 8 teams. I think the 2nd option is better, and they should look at getting the teams involved in the British Isle cup and the continental shield gives a minimum of 24 games a season.

On the 3rd point, not heard anything on the Challenge cup, other than the Continental Shield countries are pushing for greater involvement. The main aim is to relegate the 2 worst teams in the Cup to the Shield, however the Top 14, Pro 12 and EP are not going to drop a team to the Shield to give an extra place to Russia / Romania / Spain etc

Edit to add - I have heard some talk to a Pro12 div B with promotion and relegation which would give places to Georgia, Spain, US, Canada, Romania etc but would also have additional Welsh region and another Scottish team, but the latest on trying to reduce Italy to 1 team and adding in the team in Houston probably puts a block on that.

Edited by honestly united

Really enjoyed watching this as a neutral, not sure how it would hav been if Glasgow had been on either side, some performance if Scarletts can hang with 14 for the full second half

Some result for Scarletts fair play to them. Leinster fans not nearly as bad as Munster or Ulster but the seethe will still be immensely pleasing.

I don't see how 8 semi-pro clubs works (and which 8 to choose? what happens to rest?)... By same token I don't see how a 3rd pro-team works! Aberdeen? Perth? Stirling? Borders?

In terms of Europe - if they won't go back to 6 groups in Champions Cup go to 6 groups in Challenge Cup, making 4 more places. Winners and 2 unlucky Champions Cup runners-up = QFs.

There has been rumblings off a 3rd team for quite a while, and it would be quite welcome to boost the available pro playing pool as we dont have enough players getting regular game time. The last I heard there was some discussion on how the money would be best spent between a 3rd team (which would be largely self sufficent / require a partner / lean heavily on institute of sport for players) or spreading the money to professionalise the scottish league with 8 teams. I think the 2nd option is better, and they should look at getting the teams involved in the British Isle cup and the continental shield gives a minimum of 24 games a season.
On the 3rd point, not heard anything on the Challenge cup, other than the Continental Shield countries are pushing for greater involvement. The main aim is to relegate the 2 worst teams in the Cup to the Shield, however the Top 14, Pro 12 and EP are not going to drop a team to the Shield to give an extra place to Russia / Romania / Spain etc

Edit to add - I have heard some talk to a Pro12 div B with promotion and relegation which would give places to Georgia, Spain, US, Canada, Romania etc but would also have additional Welsh region and another Scottish team, but the latest on trying to reduce Italy to 1 team and adding in the team in Houston probably puts a block on that.

In theory a pro 12 b would be a good thing although I would probably go for two leagues of 10 personally. Promotion relegation playoff between them. But realistically I can't see it.

With the pro 12 now I personally think bringing the exiles in for the Italians would be a better all round option for boosting the league. The other option I think the SRU should maybe take advantage of is the looming collapse of the italians. Should Italy lose both teams and an American franchise comes in I think the SRU should revive a third pro team. Just to get it in the league. I would expect them to be under strength and finish near the bottom for the first few seasons but I think Scottish rugby is generally on the up. Maybe it's time.