Rugby Union

kiwififer

Talking of sold out the lack of formal information re the Pro 12 expansion is abysmal, better flow of information out of North Korea.

I feel sorry for anyone who has shelled out for a season ticket when they have no idea how the league is going to work.

BBC site says it'll be two conferences of 7 teams.
You'll play the teams in your group twice and the teams in the other group once. So two games fewer than last season. Perhaps they'll have rest weeks during the six nations. That would certainly help Glasgows cause.

Given the numbers I'd imagine against the teams in the other conference you'd play 4 home and 3 away one season and the opposite the following.

I wonder if Glasgow will give us some money back on our season tickets for getting one game less?

2 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

I don't mind not playing Edinburgh twice a season. The 1872 can just be a one off game for the league points and that meaningless egg cup.

I'm the opposite - I like the 1872 cup, but maybe have it as a one off game outwith the league, probably at Christmas, with the host being the team not hosting the league game.

With the reduction in league games I sense an opportunity for the SRU. With the spare games would it be possible re instate the inter-district championship at senior level. Its not the first time reds or a south of Scotland side has been reformed for one off games. Why not go one extra step without breaking the bank. a few positives are

- Tests whether or not Scotland is ready for a third Pro team
- Glasgow and Edinburgh fans can get more games for their season tickets and the travel is kept to a national level. neutral or older fans of the Reds and SOS team have an opportunity to watch those teams again and again tests whether the fan base is their for third Pro team
- Glasgow and Edinburgh can still rest all their key players and give up and coming players meaningful and competitive games. Provides ideal game time for players returning from injury. Players picked for the Reds or SOS team could earn themselves pro contracts by getting seen playing at higher level of competition.

-  Gives a path for up and coming SRU coaches and referees to show themselves in a national competition

- Sponsorship and broadcasting opportunities for the SRU and an opportunity to spread top level competitive rugby throughout the country.

21 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

BBC site says it'll be two conferences of 7 teams.
You'll play the teams in your group twice and the teams in the other group once. So two games fewer than last season. Perhaps they'll have rest weeks during the six nations. That would certainly help Glasgows cause.

Given the numbers I'd imagine against the teams in the other conference you'd play 4 home and 3 away one season and the opposite the following.

I wonder if Glasgow will give us some money back on our season tickets for getting one game less?

20 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Just read the BBC Scotland article. The Scottish teams are being put in separate divisions. So only one derby game a season then? That's pretty shite.

Aren't they doing 3 home, 3 away and then a home and away for a derby match? Gives 2 Edinburgh v Glasgow, 2 All-Italian and 2 All-South African games etc and although it does mean potentially more difficult games for some conference contenders it's what's done in other sports.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aren't they doing 3 home, 3 away and then a home and away for a derby match? Gives 2 Edinburgh v Glasgow, 2 All-Italian and 2 All-South African games etc and although it does mean potentially more difficult games for some conference contenders it's what's done in other sports.

Thats how I understood it. Play everyone in your conference home and away for 12 matches, then everyone in the other conference once either home or away for another 7, then your "derby" team once for a total of 20 games.

IM hoping it works out well for next season, and to be fair each club is going to receive an extra £0.5m from SARFU plus i think it was £11m a year to share out in additional TV money. If things go well it could be a huge boost as the UK TV deal is up again at the end of the season and if its been a success may add quite a bit to that

Thats how I understood it. Play everyone in your conference home and away for 12 matches, then everyone in the other conference once either home or away for another 7, then your "derby" team once for a total of 20 games.

Still a bit of a footer but that actually sounds alright for the fixtures. Will lead to inevitable claims of unfairness as their always in when teams play each other an odd number of times though

Still a bit of a footer but that actually sounds alright for the fixtures. Will lead to inevitable claims of unfairness as their always in when teams play each other an odd number of times though

From the Irish as they wont play the Italian sides during the international games

A certain imbalance is inevitable in any system that isn't a round robin

The NFL deliberately give the easier fixture lists to the teams that had a poor season last time.

I read somewhere (BBC I think) that the South Africans can win the pro 14 but cant qualify for the champions cup. If so will they play Currie cup games during European fixtures?

In wales some of the press and the general feeling is people are unsure on the South Africans joining stating that they are the weakest of the South African franchises and have generally struggled in Super Rugby. There is a feeling that the pro 14 will be devalued in competitiveness as a result. This I believe is not true. Super rugby is extremely tough and competitive league with domination by the NZ franchises. The Cheetahs and the Southern Kings will be a great addition and bring a different brand of rugby. In an overall league table I reckon they will easily be mid table and challenge for playoffs. I think they will win games such as the Italians Edinburgh and Dragons with relative ease and will start struggling with everyone else picking up wins here and there. 

I also believe this is last chance for the Italians. If they struggle again I do believe they will be told to merge the two teams and the American franchise will come in as replacement keeping it at 14. If the Italians are allowed to keep both teams and the American franchise comes in then really another nations franchise should be brought in. 16 clubs two conferences of 8.