Rugby Union

kiwififer

Glasgow Warriors and Glasgow Life can confirm that an isolated but contained incident took place in the North Stand during this afternoon’s game against Edinburgh. This resulted in the Fire Services being called and the stadium being evacuated.

All supporters were brought back into the stadium safely after a short delay and the game resumed at 4.30pm.

Safety of our supporters is paramount and we’d like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding this afternoon.

Guinness PRO14  – Referee Appointments

Friday, January 5, 2018

EDINBURGH V SOUTHERN KINGS – KO 19:35 / 21:35 (SA)

Referee: Lloyd Linton (SRU, 17th competition game)
AR1: Mike Adamson (SRU). AR2: Sam Grove-White (SRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
BBC ALBA: 19:25
SuperSport 1: 21:30 (SA)

SCARLETS V DRAGONS – KO 19:35

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 75th competition game)
AR1: Andrea Piardi (FIR). AR2: Wayne Davies (WRU)
TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)
BBC2 Wales: 19:30

Saturday, January 6, 2018

BENETTON V TOYOTA CHEETAHS – KO 14:15 (ITALY) / 15:15 (SA)

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 11th competition game)
AR1: Stuart Gaffikin (IRFU). AR2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)
TMO: Leo Colgan (IRFU)
Eurosport Italia 2: 14:10
SportSport 1: 15:10

LEINSTER RUGBY V ULSTER RUGBY – KO 17:35

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 96th competition game)
AR1: Joy Neville (IRFU). AR2: Shane Kierans (IRFU)
TMO: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU)
Sky Sports Main Event: 17:30
Sky Sports Action: 17:30
TG4: 17:20
BBC2 NI: 17:30

Sky Sports Main Event is available on Channel 401 (Ch 501 for Virgin customers)
Sky Sports Action is available on Channel 407 (Ch 507 for Virgin customers)

MUNSTER RUGBY V CONNACHT RUGBY – KO 19:45

Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU, 56th competition game)
AR1: Sean Gallagher (IRFU). AR2: Nigel Correll (IRFU)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU).
TG4: 19:40

OSPREYS V CARDIFF BLUES – KO 15:15

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 160th competition game)
AR1: Dan Jones (WRU). AR2: Adam Jones (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)
Sky Sports Action: 15:00
Sky Sports Main Event: 15:45
S4C: 15:00
Sky Sports Main Event is available on Channel 401 (Ch 501 for Virgin customers)
Sky Sports Action is available on Channel 407 (Ch 507 for Virgin customers)

Zebra v Glasgow is missing on the list but should be on BBC Alba on Saturday 

ZEBRE V GLASGOW WARRIORS – KO 16:30 (ITALY) / 15:30 (UK)

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 31st competition game)
AR1: Eddie Hogan-O’Connell (IRFU). AR2: Manuel Bottino (FIR)
TMO: Brian MacNiece (IRFU)
Europsport 2 Italia: 16:25
BBC ALBA: 15:25

Was pretty sure this game would have been switched to Murrayfield after the demands getting made by some Edinburgh fans last week to move the Glasgow game away from Scotstoun to let all the Edinburgh supporters in, seems a shame so many will miss out on a ticket for a home game. On a more positive note good to see Mark Bennett back playing again

27 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Was pretty sure this game would have been switched to Murrayfield after the demands getting made by some Edinburgh fans last week to move the Glasgow game away from Scotstoun to let all the Edinburgh supporters in, seems a shame so many will miss out on a ticket for a home game. On a more positive note good to see Mark Bennett back playing again

If i could be slightly more serious for a second, it would be great to have a 20k-ish stadium in Glasgow to get as many people into the 1872 games as possible.

I appreciate they are effectively just another league game, but there is always increased interest in what nowadays is not far off a Scotland trial, and with 2 of them being during the Xmas period, there is also the chance of more people wanting to get out of the house!

If i could be slightly more serious for a second, it would be great to have a 20k-ish stadium in Glasgow to get as many people into the 1872 games as possible.
I appreciate they are effectively just another league game, but there is always increased interest in what nowadays is not far off a Scotland trial, and with 2 of them being during the Xmas period, there is also the chance of more people wanting to get out of the house!

How about the SRU and SFA really get into bed together. Murrayfield becomes the national stadium and Hampden gets totally redeveloped into a state of the art 30,000 seat stadium. Well big enough for club rugby when there is demand but small enough to be suitable for football when they are playing meaningless qualifiers or Inverness are playing St Johnston in a cup semi final.

My own preference for the Warriors would be to relocate to somewhere like Broadwood, it needs a bit of tlc but already has a fit for propose playing surface and is minutes from the motorway and Croy station. Brand new gym on the same campus as well, would save millions on a brand new build and it's still within the wider Glasgow area, G66 postcode I believe.

3 minutes ago, ddfg said:

How about the SRU and SFA really get into bed together. Murrayfield becomes the national stadium and Hampden gets totally redeveloped into a state of the art 30,000 seat stadium. Well big enough for club rugby when there is demand but small enough to be suitable for football when they are playing meaningless qualifiers or Inverness are playing St Johnston in a cup semi final.

My own preference for the Warriors would be to relocate to somewhere like Broadwood, it needs a bit of tlc but already has a fit for propose playing surface and is minutes from the motorway and Croy station. Brand new gym on the same campus as well, would save millions on a brand new build and it's still within the wider Glasgow area, G66 postcode I believe.

It's barely any bigger than Scotstoun though

Scotstoun is a good location, just athletics track and locals are the issue. If that wasn't there could have had a cracking stadium. If games moved to Broadwood I seriously think of not bothering. Kilmarnock was one thing, but at least it was a larger stadium and in a proper town with pubs and places to eat, not stadium that is usually freezing cold in the middle of nowhere where you basically have to drive to or walk on back roads through housing estates from Croy. Reason I don't go to U20s but have done when they were at Scotstoun. 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I might have given an Edinburgh fan my ticket for the game on Saturday if they were that desperate! 1872 games in recent times have been dire spectacles and for the purist, or blind, only. Probably more handling and unforced errors than points. 

Myself and a few of the mates I was with at the game talked about not going back next Christmas to the Murrayfield leg of the 1872 cup. Just think I could go in to the West End of Glasgow, sit in a pub with it on the telly and have a better time for less money. This year was cold, zero atmosphere, and a rubbish game with no excitement. 

Scotstoun is a good location, just athletics track and locals are the issue. If that wasn't there could have had a cracking stadium. If games moved to Broadwood I seriously think of not bothering. Kilmarnock was one thing, but at least it was a larger stadium and in a proper town with pubs and places to eat, not stadium that is usually freezing cold in the middle of nowhere where you basically have to drive to or walk on back roads through housing estates from Croy. Reason I don't go to U20s but have done when they were at Scotstoun. 
I might have given an Edinburgh fan my ticket for the game on Saturday if they were that desperate! 1872 games in recent times have been dire spectacles and for the purist, or blind, only. Probably more handling and unforced errors than points. 
Myself and a few of the mates I was with at the game talked about not going back next Christmas to the Murrayfield leg of the 1872 cup. Just think I could go in to the West End of Glasgow, sit in a pub with it on the telly and have a better time for less money. This year was cold, zero atmosphere, and a rubbish game with no excitement. 

Can't disagree with any of that about 1872 cup games, problem is you talk to people all year about how good Scottish rugby is and then when they get a chance to go to a game they have been dire.

Scotsman carried new details of SRU's 'Super 6' plan at the weekend.

Applications are due by March, decision in April, with announcement in May ("presuming they have enough candidates" it adds somewhat ominously).

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/ayr/will-super-six-be-the-saviour-or-slayer-of-club-rugby-1-4650338

Each 'franchise' must have a 5-man board: 3 chosen by themself, 1 chosen by SRU, plus the coach (over whom Scott Johnson has power of veto).

Season is now only 10 league games (5H 5A) not 15, with unspecified playoffs and B&I matches to make 20 games overall.

SRU will pay £75k for coach wages and £62.5k for players wages to be matched by the clubs giving total player wage bill of £150k.

Coaches can decide who to sign but only if they "keep the confidence" of Scott Johnson.

They have to contract 35 players and not pay more than £12k to any player, so players will have to combine part-time rugby with part-time outside employment. If my maths is right - unless clubs exceed their £62.5k contribution the average wage will be only £4,300.

Coach can terminate contracts of players who get injured and would miss more than 1/3 of season.

Pro-team players can be made available to Super 6 clubs. Due to new strict amateurism rules there will be an outright ban on Super 6 players being available to league clubs.

Euro refs have been named 

Glasgow

14th Jan Leinster(away)  Marius Mitrea (FIR)

20th Jan Exeter(home) Romain Poite (FFR)

Edinburgh 

12th Jan Stade Français (home) Tom Foley (RFU)

20th Jan Stade Français (away) Marius Mitrea (FIR)

Mike Adamson has one game London Irish v Krasny Yar on 13th Jan 

Lloyd Linton, Ben Blian, Keith Allen and Sam Grove White have all been getting games in the European Rugby Continental Shield

6 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Zander Fagerson ruled out for 2+ months, doesn't help the prop crisis at all and could potentially mean we get to see the wonderfully gifted Moray Low in action during the 6N. Marfo, Dell and Dickinson also looking doubtful.

Callum Gibbins also out for up to 12 weeks and Scott Cummings out for up to 8 weeks.

3 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Callum Gibbins also out for up to 12 weeks and Scott Cummings out for up to 8 weeks.

Scotland have probably been the unluckiest rugby nation in terms of injuries since the world cup, the injury lists for Glasgow, Edinburgh and the national team are ridiculously long.