Rugby Union

kiwififer

18 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Nel is the biggest loss. Without him the front row will obviously be weaker. I just hope the ref isn't one of those who gives all the scrum penalties the way of the perceived "stronger front row" you see it all the time. Mako Vunipola comes to mind, routinely drops the scrum under pressure and seems to get away with it or even gets the penalty. Does my tits in when I see it. 

It's Romain Poite.

Speaking of weather, it’s to be 45-50mph winds on Saturday. I’ve never been to Murrayfield so I don’t know if it’s well protected or not but a couple of recent Glasgow games were meh because of the wind.
Not sure who this favours tbh. Would have thought if dry it would be Scotland due to negating Irelands kicking game? If we defo Ireland?
Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Not sure who this favours tbh. Would have thought if dry it would be Scotland due to negating Irelands kicking game? If we defo Ireland?
Thoughts?

According to weather forecast there will be no rain on Saturday afternoon. Who knows who it favours re the wind though. Could be a bit of a farce.

Met office suggesting wind speed of 25 mph but gusting to 40+ mph.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I think its hard to tell unless you know exactly the direction of the wind, and inside Murrayfield im sure it swirls about so is even harder to predict, but would suggest if its really windy it would suit Scotland as you would then have to play up the park rather than kick (risk of kicking dead etc, not going where you want, rick of counter attack if to long etc). Ireland kick a lot, but its usually controlled with a good kick chase, if the ball isn't going where they want they could struggle. It may though play into Irelands hands as they are better up front, and have big ball carriers, but dont have the backs to match Scotlands.

We don’t want lots of knock ons as they will engage in a scrum - milk scrum penalty shitfest and kick for the corners all day long. Their plan A - Z is box kicking* so who knows, but it could be a long day if we get pinned back for territory.

* edited to add with the occasional wrap around play

Edited by Snobot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47164954

A reminder of why the Irish are so detestable!
I'd add to that the whining after Ulster got beat at Scotstoun in the Pro12 semi final, especially about Matawalu. Irish teams rarely just get beat by what they regard as lesser teams who have no right to steal their limelight; they generally have some bullshit excuse.

Interesting tone to that article; comes across that Tom's opinions on these are a little more with his adoptive home than with his compatriots.

Surely if we don't throw suicide passes then we should be favourites?
There's no way in the world we're favourite to beat the number 2 ranked team, who've beaten NZ twice in their last 3 games. Especially when several of our best players are missing and at tight head we're dipping a long way to third choice. We are underdogs by quite a long way.

There's no way in the world we're favourite to beat the number 2 ranked team, who've beaten NZ twice in their last 3 games. Especially when several of our best players are missing and at tight head we're dipping a long way to third choice. We are underdogs by quite a long way.
I meant the weather's favours us. Although we are underdogs it certainly isn't by a considerable margin like you say.

I'd add to that the whining after Ulster got beat at Scotstoun in the Pro12 semi final, especially about Matawalu. Irish teams rarely just get beat by what they regard as lesser teams who have no right to steal their limelight; they generally have some bullshit excuse.

Interesting tone to that article; comes across that Tom's opinions on these are a little more with his adoptive home than with his compatriots.

The best thing about that semi final was the fact that Ulster pretty much chucked the final game of the regular season at Scotstoun the week before. Playing a more or less second string side, thinking that coming back to scotstoun at full strength was preferable to going away to Leinster/Munster or whatever the various permutations might have been. They thought they’d roll Glasgow over in the semi final with their first VX. One of my favourite Games as a warriors fan with a bit of an edge to things in the last 5-10 minutes.

f**k Irish rugby!

Let's not forget the Ulster fans turning up to the final specifically so they could boo Matawalu [emoji38]
It was great, there was a Guinness bar at the ground and they had an Irish band playing. When they played The Fields of Athenry there were more than a few Ulster fans glaring suspiciously at the large handful of Scots singing along. It was glorious.