Rugby Union

kiwififer

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Earlier in this thread, I commented that I found it puzzling that in the NZ v South Africa game, the All Blacks were wearing their traditional all-black kit, but the Springboks were in their very dark green shirts and socks, with only their white shorts standing out. I asked why rugby union teams cannot have a clearly different shirt from their opponent. was pretty much hounded for this view, being told ‘can’t you see black and green are different’?

Just turned the telly on, and here’s Namibia in a bright blue ‘Sevco-esque’ kit, but the Springboks are in a white kit - which should have been worn against the All Blacks. The Namibia blue is far more different from the Springboks dark green than the Kiwi’s black is.

I reckon I was absolutely spot-on with my assertion in the NZ v SA game.

tenor.gif

8 minutes ago, S7C said:

tenor.gif

Nice gif. However, won’t anyone consider the thousands of poor folks in their shanty town slums who had to watch the New Zealand v South African game on old black and white televisions? It’s not fair on them, Morton didn’t have a home game for them to go to that day.

Referee has been very good but putting the (potential) result down to that would be doing Japan a massive disservice. They've just done everything Scotland didn't, or couldn't, do last week.
It does help though if you have a decent ref when you play Ireland (or Wales for that matter) - fed up with the inconsistent reffing that invariably allows them to get away with their "streetwise" rugby but punishes the opposition if they try it.

That being said, Japan were absolutely immense today.

Guest Bob Mahelp

A great result for the world cup, but ( yet another) massive kick in the nads for Scotland. 

As I understand it....and presuming Japan get a bonus point against Samoa....we need 2 bonus point wins and then to beat Japan by more than 7 points, or by scoring 4 tries.

A huge ask for a team as inconsistent as we are.

Why the f**k did we play like such pussies against Ireland ?

A great result for the world cup, but ( yet another) massive kick in the nads for Scotland. 
As I understand it....and presuming Japan get a bonus point against Samoa....we need 2 bonus point wins and then to beat Japan by more than 7 points, or by scoring 4 tries.
A huge ask for a team as inconsistent as we are.
Why the f**k did we play like such pussies against Ireland ?

Because we are scared of Ireland, phycologicaly scarred. We are their bitches...purely a mental thing.

Having thought about it the Japanese win doesn't really change much for Scotland. I think we all knew if we lost to Ireland we needed to win the 3 games, thats not really changed anything, if anything it puts more pressure on Japan as they are now the favourites (and above is in the rankings now also).

Also for Sunday it may be better if we let Samoa score 4 and get a losing BP (as long as we win with the BP)  so they are still in the hunt going into the game vs Japan

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

A quality hat trick for Bennett.

FIngers crossed he can stay fit and establish himself as a top player again.

Hindsight is great but would take Bennett over Jones right now, always really liked him but has had terrible luck with injuries- I think 3 major knee injuries in his career, but looks sharp again.

Hindsight is great but would take Bennett over Jones right now, always really liked him but has had terrible luck with injuries- I think 3 major knee injuries in his career, but looks sharp again.
Yep, lost lots of playing time over the years, seemed to be the interception king for a while.

In all RWC history the only 'established' i.e. 'Tier 1' nation pipped to QFs is Wales... in 1991 (lost to Western Samoa) and 2007 (lost to Fiji).

We're now flirting with that without even losing.
We never made the QFs in 2011 and Ireland never made it 1999 and 2007. England never made it 2015. Argentina have also failed to make it.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:
In all RWC history the only 'established' i.e. 'Tier 1' nation pipped to QFs is Wales... in 1991 (lost to Western Samoa) and 2007 (lost to Fiji).

We're now flirting with that without even losing.

We never made the QFs in 2011 and Ireland never made it 1999 and 2007. England never made it 2015. Argentina have also failed to make it.

I've messily explained it but I mean any of traditional big 8 missing out to anyone but each other/Argentina (or Italy but never made it). Obviously when 3 were in 1 group someone missed-out.

1991 ... Western Samoa pipped Wales
1995 ... NZ + Ireland in same group as Wales
1999 ... Argentina beat Ireland in PO
2007 ... Fiji pipped Wales; Argentina + France in same group as Ireland
2011 ... England + Argentina in same group as Scotland
2015 ... Australia + Wales in same group as England

Edited by HibeeJibee

In recent years I've followed the rise - and now fall - of the Scotland rugby league side... attending several European Cup fixtures and Four Nations/RLWC qualifiers at Old Anniesland and Netherdale, and having trips to games in England at RLWC 2013 and Four Nations 2016.

RLWC 2021 playoff v Serbia on Sat 26th Oct is at "Lochinch Sports Pavilion, Glasgow". Is this, as it appears, a police recreation playing field :huh:...?!

Terracing? Seats?

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've messily explained it but I mean any of traditional big 8 missing out to anyone but each other/Argentina (or Italy but never made it). Obviously when 3 were in 1 group someone missed-out.

This is true.

As a 'lower tier' nation though, this time around Japan have the advantage of being at home. Combine that with their improved form over the last couple of years together with the investment in their rugby as a whole over the last 4 years, and you're hardly dealing with true underdog.

IMHO Japan were always going to be the trickiest team out of the 3rd pot to face, and so it's proving. 

That said, if Scotland can't raise their game for world cup matches, we don't deserve a quarter final place.

Argentina were still a teir 2 nation in 2011 (did not enter the Rugby Championship till 2012). But still a big side(like Japan and a lesser extent Gerorga the now).

Guest Bob Mahelp

Let's be honest, when it comes to big game mentality, we're a million miles behind England, Wales and Ireland.

The fact that we've never failed to make a world cup q/f is pretty remarkable actually.