Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 05/10/2019 at 12:09, John Lambies Doos said:
On 05/10/2019 at 11:58, Acastus said:
How am I contradicting it? I never said it's not in our hands. 

You clearly said that assuming Scotland get 5 against Russia; a bonus point today for Japan plus a losing point for them against Scotland would put Scotland out. I correctly called this out as nonsense because a 5 1 victory for Scotland would put Scotland through. Read your first post.

Yeah when I typed first post I didn't realise if Scotland get 5 points , Japan won't go through with losing BP. My point at the time was Japan need to go for that try BP against Samoa rather than taking 3 point pens which now means we need to either get the BP win against Japan or win by more than 7 points. 

10 hours ago, afca32 said:

Why the f**k was that called 6 more then when the tackle was made they gave a changover

Still furious about this, not only ruined a good final but probably cost Canberra a first premiership in over 25 years. Refs making bad calls I can accept in sport but bottling it on the big occasion like that is a disgrace.

10 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Still furious about this, not only ruined a good final but probably cost Canberra a first premiership in over 25 years. Refs making bad calls I can accept in sport but bottling it on the big occasion like that is a disgrace.

sounds like the NRL for most of the season with bad ref calls deciding a large number of games (especially Warriors who seamed to get apologises most weeks from the refs chief) 

Scotland team, i think this means everyone has had a run at least, 2 backs in the subs is worrying if we are chasing tries though

Scotland: Kinghorn; Seymour, Taylor, P Horne, Graham; Hastings, G Horne; Reid, Turner, Fagerson, Cummings, Toolis, Barclay, Brown, Wilson.

Replacements: McInally, Berghan, Nel, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Ritchie, Pyrgos, Harris.

I did wonder if he would start Pyrgos as George Horne will feature from the bench v Japan, but I suppose it makes sense to try to get the tries as early as possible then take him off after getting a BP in the bag, and with 31 we can’t rest everyone.

There’s a lot of versatility in the backs so I suppose we can reshuffle easily enough to give Graham a rest as well if we get the job done early despite not having many on the bench.

It's worth bearing in mind that it's going to be Russia's fourth test match in 20 days and we are putting out a rested team. George Horne and Hastings are both far better in a fast game than they are playing a structured one so it makes sense to play high tempo for the bonus.

If we do get the bonus fairly early it will be quite interesting to see how they manage the rest of the game. 

I like this team for this game as well. It'll be loose, and I expect our set peice will be unimpressive, but there is a lot of pace there, except for the back row. If we can keep the ball in play a lot and keep a high tempo we can hopefully have this wrapped up pretty early. 

Is it just me who was astonished that postponed or abandoned RWC games don't try again (e.g. next day) but are awarded 0-0?
I was very surprised too tbh, but there is very little leeway in some cases to play a day later. E.g. if Scotland v Russia was put off on Wednesday it would mean we would have to play Thursday and Sunday.

18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

True but then again I'd say they shouldn't schedule games with fewer than 4 days between either.

Nonetheless - especially given bonus points apply - if it ever happened it could be highly iniquitous.

Only way around it to give some space to rearrange a game would be to make the group stage a week longer and do away with the 4 and 5 day gaps between matches. That would make the tourney too long though, it's long enough as it is.

Rugby World Cup 2019: Scotland's Gregor Townsend 'surprised' by scrum penalty for Japan bonus - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49959867

Also caught a bit of the 5live rugby podcast, Danny Care said he couldn't believe it either, and said it's something you just don't get penalised for as the reality is if you were to throw the ball right in the centre then it would be almost impossible for the hooker to get it with his foot.