Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 29/01/2020 at 08:42, Bob Mahelp said:

Referee for Saturday, Mathieu Raynal.

I think he's generally been quite fair to Scotland in the past.....was he not the guy who awarded us 2 penalty tries against Samoa ?

At least it's not Romaine Poite, thank God. 

I’m never a fan of any French Ref tbh given their laissez-faire attitude to refereeing the breakdown. Doubly so against Irelands complete disregard for all rules/legal competition at the ruck.

But you’re right, at least it’s not Poite.

Ireland were stronger two years ago and we could have beat them but for stupid errors.
As for Folau the established Church of England stated last week that sex should only be between a man and a woman who are married. It's much easier to take pot shots at the Tongan guy though!
I'll stick to taking the piss out of both.

I dont know if its just me, but for the last 4 or 5 years I've gone into the 6 Nations full of optimism that this will be our year. We have usually had a really good November, Glasgow are sitting top of the Pro14, playing amazing rugby and all the players seem to be in top form. Then the first game starts, and after 10 minutes we've given away an interception try, our forwards are being bullied, and we look set to be battling with Italy for the wooden spoon.

Is it wishful thinking that this year, after a woeful world cup, Glasgow have been pretty poor, the squad seems to be in disaray that we might actually have a really good 6 nations?

I dont know if its just me, but for the last 4 or 5 years I've gone into the 6 Nations full of optimism that this will be our year. We have usually had a really good November, Glasgow are sitting top of the Pro14, playing amazing rugby and all the players seem to be in top form. Then the first game starts, and after 10 minutes we've given away an interception try, our forwards are being bullied, and we look set to be battling with Italy for the wooden spoon.
Is it wishful thinking that this year, after a woeful world cup, Glasgow have been pretty poor, the squad seems to be in disaray that we might actually have a really good 6 nations?
It's funny you could be right. Generally when Thistle have a shite pre season they seem to have a decent season .
Here's hoping.

15. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 72 caps

14. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 44 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 23 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 17 caps

10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 3 caps
2. Fraser Brown VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 46 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 55 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 14 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 28 caps
8. Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – uncapped

Substitutes:
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 33 caps
17. Allan Dell (London Irish) – 28 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 24 caps
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
20. Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors) – 6 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints) – 3 caps
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 14 caps

15Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 72 caps

14Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 44 caps
13Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 23 caps
12Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
11Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 17 caps

10Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
9Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps

1Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 3 caps
2Fraser Brown VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 46 caps
3Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
4Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
5Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 55 caps
6Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 14 caps
7Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 28 caps
8Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – uncapped

Substitutes:
16Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 33 caps
17Allan Dell (London Irish) – 28 caps
18Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 24 caps
19Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
20Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors) – 6 caps
21George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
22Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints) – 3 caps
23Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 14 caps

Pack is very light. Ireland will bully us...

Again

18 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Again

I think our front row is probably heavier. Having just checked our locks are heavier as well. In the back row Haining is the biggest man then Stander then Doris them Ritchie then Watson and VDF are the same. 

It won't come down to packweights. 

Edited by Detournement

Almost the team I'd have picked but two surprises. Haining has actually outperformed Bradbury for Embra when fit this season so think that's fair enough. I'm glad Sutherland is back fit and playing and I would've had him on the bench over Bhatti but a bit concerned this might be too early for him. Tbf Dell hasn't been playing much for Irish and when he has not exactly been performing by all accounts. Very pleased he went with in form players like Fagerson, Cummings, Jones and Brown.

Haining starting is a big call - he's not even been mentioned squad wise nevermind starting before.

Sutherland not so much, or Fagerson, but Nel not evening making the bench is.

Only issue for me is there is no plan B if either Hastings gets injured, or is having a mare - only option is putting Hogg in at 10

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Haining starting is a big call - he's not even been mentioned squad wise nevermind starting before.

Sutherland not so much, or Fagerson, but Nel not evening making the bench is.

Only issue for me is there is no plan B if either Hastings gets injured, or is having a mare - only option is putting Hogg in at 10

I think that Hutchinson is the back up 10. He's played there for Northampton.

I'm stunned that Nel hasn't made the 23 players named. Is he injured ?

I think our front row is probably heavier. Having just checked our locks are heavier as well. In the back row Haining is the biggest man then Stander then Doris them Ritchie then Watson and VDF are the same. 
It won't come down to packweights. 
It will come down to the following

Inept tactics
Lack of leadership
Better Irish players.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

I've been having the same feeling, and seeing the team today unfortunately has given me that wee inkling of optimism. I think we've picked on form and I think some of these guys over the last couple of months have been playing much better than a lot of folk realise. I think our front five have a bit more dog about them with Cummings, Brown and Fagerson in there and I think the back row have a bit of fight as well.

Hastings will obviously be under the most pressure, but he's improving all the time and really deserves this chance. Huw Jones is a fucking great player who's been through a tough time but he's back and looking sharp, and the back three still have plenty about them both in attack and defence.

We've also been completely written off, there is no pressure or expectation. All the Ireland fans I've seen are basically ignoring this game as a foregone conclusion and talking about whicj players can play their way into the team for the real games. That might also help us out, especially if we can give them a good rattle early on. Chances are of course that we will get hammered up front and concede penalties and territory far too often leading to the game being over by half time, but I still have a wee bit of hope here.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Ireland were given a bit of shake in the world cup when they discovered that if Plan A didn't work, there was nothing else.  I don't know if things will be any different under Farrell, but with Murray and Sexton still dictating the pace of play in the backs it looks unlikely that they'll go for anything other than a forward-based attack designed to grind opponents down, combined with tactical kicking.

They're very good at it mind, and any chance we have in the game will be dependant on how much we can disrupt them at source. Ritchie and Watson, together with Brown, will be vitally important in the breakdown. We have to get on top of them in the first 20 minutes and force them into making decisions that they don't want to make. 

I'm interested to see how we set up defensively under a new coaching staff. It can't be any worse than the last one, that's for sure. 

Depends if we can avoid box kick > knock on > milk scrum pen > kick for corner > seal off at every ruck > grind us down formula. They don’t have a sophisticated game plan, barring the Sexton wrap around [K Williams gif here]

I quite like the look of the team. Hopefully, unlike JLD, they are not utterly defeated before they’ve stepped onto the park.

Depends if we can avoid box kick > knock on > milk scrum pen > kick for corner > seal off at every ruck > grind us down formula. They don’t have a sophisticated game plan, barring the Sexton wrap around [K Williams gif here]

I quite like the look of the team. Hopefully, unlike JLD, they are not utterly defeated before they’ve stepped onto the park.
Apologies you're quite correct. I don't want to be negative, hell I'm going to the game.. But it's just difficult to be optimistic about this game, for years and years in Dublin we have been owned (croke pk) exception. Its like we continually make the same mistakes over and over again and you know the old Einstein saying.
Anyway a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe just maybe [emoji1696]

8 hours ago, Snobot said:

Ireland are capable of much more than that, they have plenty of talent in the backs. At least as much as we do. But the right tactics to use against Scotland, if you have the players, is to stick it up the jumper and hammer away at the gainline until you get a penalty or a line-break. We thrive on open, loose play so it would be stupid to give us the opportunity. The second half at Twickenham last year is a classic example of what happens, even to a very good team, when they think they can go out and throw the ball around against us.

It's unfortunate that the nature of our strengths and weaknesses brings out the tedious dullards in our opponents.

Just as well we don't have too many games against big, physical packs in before the World Cup draw... oh. 

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Again

Our pack's as big as it can be, probably heavier than Ireland's, and unless there's one side is considerably heavier it makes bugger all difference anyway. Even then, Glasgow have been running rings round bloated French forwards for years.

It's quality that matters, and Ireland have a high quality pack, good enough to demolish South Africa last time they played them and beat NZ twice in a row. 

Slightly surprised at Sutherland and Haining starting but generally a fairly predictable team other than this. Like others have said it’s good to see players in form being picked rather than a players experience and reputation. Bradbury out with a thigh strain - do you think he’d have started otherwise? Haining should add some hefty grunt if nothing else. Ireland also have a debutant at 8 so that maybe helped Townsend in his decision.

On that note I’m glad Ireland have picked Murray at scrum half. As good a player as he can be, he is having a very average season by his standards and they haven’t picked arguably the form 9 in Europe in John Cooney.