Rugby Union

kiwififer

Chiefs clinch it with another penalty in front of the posts as the clock goes red for real this time.

Hogg pretty anonymous, Skinner excellent and right in the thick of it. Gray was superb coming on as a sub and Hidalgo Clyne did well again after coming off the bench.

Dissapointing loss for Glasgow yesterday they looked to have control of the game late in the first half but went down hill in the 2nd, as the front row replacements for the Ospreays gave them the advantage in the scrum. J

ohnson and Jones both looked good, but the stand out for me was young Dobie, a few more games under his belt and he will be first choice for Glasgow, he has a much more rounded game than either Price or Horne, but is also a threat with ball in hand.

Scotland women have pulled it back against France to 13-13 with 5 minutes to go. they've been on top for the past 20 minutes. Scotland haven't beaten France in 10 years and normally get absolutely hammered by them.

Cracking game, English commentary on the BBC website.

Damien Hoyland and lock Grant Gilchrist are booth out of all the upcoming internationals due to injury. Matt Fagerson will miss the Wales game. Sean Maitland has been dropped from the squad.  Ratu Tagive has been called up again 

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Damien Hoyland and lock Grant Gilchrist are booth out of all the upcoming internationals due to injury. Matt Fagerson will miss the Wales game. Sean Maitland has been dropped from the squad.  Ratu Tagive has been called up again 

The continued selection of Tagive at even pro level is even more baffling than the decision of Sean Maitland to go out for pints with his mates last week.

Scotland were excellent on Fri night.  We completely marshalled the famous Georgian pack.  Our set piece at the scrum and line out was excellent and defence was outstanding too apart from the van der Merwe's missed tackle for the Georgian try.  The rolling maul was excellent too. We have Pieter de Villiers and Steve Tandy to thank for that.  Good coach recruitment by Toony there.  We really should be targeting a win vs Wales down in Llanelli on Saturday.

We have a solid squad for Saturday.  The only thing I'm unhappy with is Sean Maitland missing due to Covid protocols which is a blow.  Tagive coming in to replace him.  He's getting better for Glasgow but I don't think he's international standard.  He's too quiet on the park.  Grant Gilchrist being out isn't an issue to me as he's a penalty machine.  Gray and Skinner coming back will hopefully keep Harley on the bench.

Glasgow started well but ran out of leadership and a game plan.  We were away from home, granted, but Ospreys beat us to get just their 2nd home win in almost a year.  Seymour still offers flashes but I think his retirement is imminent and Ryan Wilson is Glasgow's Grant Gilchrist with the amount of penalties he gives away.  However, our squad are still of a quality standard so even though Danny Wilson wants us to play more pragmatically, we should be doing much better.  On Mon night we have Leinster at home with Ulster away the Mon after.  If both of those are defeats then the coaching group need to come together to find out what's going on.

Despite all that, Covid has affected recruitment and budgets so there's reasons if this season's a write-off.  However, vaccines are nearer so if it's like this the following season then tough decisions will have to be made.  

Edited by come on shire

Im thinking we will probably line up as follows on Saturday

Hogg, van der Merwe, Harris (although would prefer JOnes), Johnson, Graham, Russell, Price, Fagerson, Brown, Sutherland, Gray, Cummings, Watson, Ritchie, Haining, subs McINally, Bergham, Kebble, Toolis, du Preez, Horne, Hastings, Kinghorn.

The Glasgow team that started on Saturday had 10-12 internationals, and the likes of Dobie, Gordon and the big lad at 2nd row are all good prospects so wasn't a bad side.  Will give Wilson the benifit of the doubt at the moment as some guys were making their debuts or first game of the season / since covid break so maybe not quite sure on the new game plan, but I think it is more the previous summers lack of signings that are the issue. We still haven't replaced Hogg & Jackson at full back, and we dont have a back up 10 other than 10, as although I had initial hopes for Thompson he has regressed - Leinster and Ulster are dead rubbers IMHO so will see where we are by the end of Jan.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Im thinking we will probably line up as follows on Saturday

Hogg, van der Merwe, Harris (although would prefer JOnes), Johnson, Graham, Russell, Price, Fagerson, Brown, Sutherland, Gray, Cummings, Watson, Ritchie, Haining, subs McINally, Bergham, Kebble, Toolis, du Preez, Horne, Hastings, Kinghorn.

The Glasgow team that started on Saturday had 10-12 internationals, and the likes of Dobie, Gordon and the big lad at 2nd row are all good prospects so wasn't a bad side.  Will give Wilson the benifit of the doubt at the moment as some guys were making their debuts or first game of the season / since covid break so maybe not quite sure on the new game plan, but I think it is more the previous summers lack of signings that are the issue. We still haven't replaced Hogg & Jackson at full back, and we dont have a back up 10 other than 10, as although I had initial hopes for Thompson he has regressed - Leinster and Ulster are dead rubbers IMHO so will see where we are by the end of Jan.

There’s no way Skinner won’t be involved, either starting  at 5 / 6 or off the bench.

I’d have Jones on the bench ahead of Kinghorn, who 9 times out of 10 makes the selfish and wrong decision.

Glasgow just fell apart last week, we started nicely and should have been 3 or 4 tries up at half time but then just let them dominate territory. Wilson’s pragmatic gameplan totally neuters our real strength. If the players grow into it and can shit fest games then fair enough but I don’t think we have the depth in the pack to do so and I’m not sure I really want to watch it.

1 hour ago, Snobot said:

There’s no way Skinner won’t be involved, either starting  at 5 / 6 or off the bench.

I’d have Jones on the bench ahead of Kinghorn, who 9 times out of 10 makes the selfish and wrong decision.

Glasgow just fell apart last week, we started nicely and should have been 3 or 4 tries up at half time but then just let them dominate territory. Wilson’s pragmatic gameplan totally neuters our real strength. If the players grow into it and can shit fest games then fair enough but I don’t think we have the depth in the pack to do so and I’m not sure I really want to watch it.

I think Skinner will miss out Wales but will defiantely start over the Autumn, more as he missed a lot of 6 nations due to injury and the other 3 will no the systems better.

I'm expecting us to destroy Wales in the scrum. They will do anything to avoid engaging so hopefully the ref stands up to them. 

Both props are superb but Fraser Brown's bulk really makes the difference. That's why I'd always go for Stewart over Turner for Glasgow as Turner gives the opposition the opportunity to attack whereas Stewart is far stronger.