Rugby Union

kiwififer

Glasgow were really shite last night. It would be easier to take if it was a team of youngsters learning some hard lessons, but it's not, it's just a shit team being held together by Pete Horne and Ryan Wilson.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The SRU have a get out of jail card due to Covid but this has been building for a while for Glasgow. A squad that needed an overhaul in summer 2019 is now a total shambles. Back three, back row, stand off and locks are all a disaster. 

It's going to start affecting the national team before long as well. 2 injuries at 10 and we are already on the verge of a crisis. We have a reasonably good team just now, but we need some players coming in behind them pushing for places. There aren't any youngsters at Glasgow right now, apart from maybe Dobbie, who look like they'll ever be up to the standard of the current international team. The Glasgow squad during Autumn/6 nations used to be decent youngsters with a couple if old heads and some quality foreigners/project players.

Now it's still just the same "youngsters" who never made the step up and are now in their mid 20's, some bang average foreigners who will never play for Scotland, and a few guys who should have been phased out after the world cup and be earning their retirement cash in Japan or low end top 14.

I wouldn't write McDowell off yet, Tom Gordon will be a very good club player at a minimum and Grant Stewart is a bit older but I can see him being involved and doing ok at Scotland. Other than there's nothing until 19 year old Dobie. Hopefully the Super 6 brings through some players. 

Chamberlain started for Edinburgh last night which is another 10 in the mix for the future. Edinburgh definitely seem to have the better your talent at the moment. Eleven 23 or under last night versus 2 for Glasgow.

The first 5 or 10 minutes looked encouraging then it just fell apart, when your starting with your 4th choice scrum half and hooker and have your 5th choice on the bench its never a good sign but they at least get pass marks. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where its going wrong as at this time of year we are never usually this bad.

Back 3 - Bryce is passable as cover at full back, Matowalu is what he is and thought he did OK last night, at least he is up for the fight and gets involved. Tagive, big, strong, quick, doesn't look like a rugby player though

Centre's McDowall got injured early, and eventually replaced by Horne and Fergussons first game - for me centre was a big weakness all night

Kennedy and Horne, both passable, Kennedy still looks unsure of patterns of play etc or where he should be passing. Thompson has gone backwards massively-  he looked a real find when Toonie brought him over but is now a shadow of that player

backrow - Wilson for me was the biggest dissapointment of hte night, for a captain and one of the senior players was annoymous, Gordon and Ioanne at least put in a solid if unspectacular shift

Harley and McDonald, Harley looked OK, dont remember seeing much of McDonald either in attack or defence which is probably an issue

Front row Seilu and Stewart were passable, dont remember anything of Pieretto

*When I say passable I mean as the sort of performance in an international weekend team when we are missing all the starters - I woulkdn't have any of those players anywhere near a first choice teams.

I dont know yet if this is a coaching or a player issue, but you cant really make any judgements on 2 results against the 2 best teams in the Pro14 when your missing 20 odd first choice players. To me it still looks like the players are not 100% sure what they are suppose to be doing.

Watched the Edinburgh game as I saw little hope for Glasgow and thought they did pretty well in tough conditions. Chamberlain and Blain both had solid games and Boyle, Skyes, Grahamslaw and Gamble (latter two on debut) all got off the bench so plenty of young talent there.

Glasgow have some very decent players in the academy but most of them are not yet ready for pro rugby.

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

The first 5 or 10 minutes looked encouraging then it just fell apart, when your starting with your 4th choice scrum half and hooker and have your 5th choice on the bench its never a good sign but they at least get pass marks. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where its going wrong as at this time of year we are never usually this bad.

Back 3 - Bryce is passable as cover at full back, Matowalu is what he is and thought he did OK last night, at least he is up for the fight and gets involved. Tagive, big, strong, quick, doesn't look like a rugby player though

Centre's McDowall got injured early, and eventually replaced by Horne and Fergussons first game - for me centre was a big weakness all night

Kennedy and Horne, both passable, Kennedy still looks unsure of patterns of play etc or where he should be passing. Thompson has gone backwards massively-  he looked a real find when Toonie brought him over but is now a shadow of that player

backrow - Wilson for me was the biggest dissapointment of hte night, for a captain and one of the senior players was annoymous, Gordon and Ioanne at least put in a solid if unspectacular shift

Harley and McDonald, Harley looked OK, dont remember seeing much of McDonald either in attack or defence which is probably an issue

Front row Seilu and Stewart were passable, dont remember anything of Pieretto

*When I say passable I mean as the sort of performance in an international weekend team when we are missing all the starters - I woulkdn't have any of those players anywhere near a first choice teams.

I dont know yet if this is a coaching or a player issue, but you cant really make any judgements on 2 results against the 2 best teams in the Pro14 when your missing 20 odd first choice players. To me it still looks like the players are not 100% sure what they are suppose to be doing.

Agree with most of this.

Our last two games have seen our reserves soundly beaten by a Leinster team that haven't lost for over a year in the Pro14 regardless of who they have available, and away at Ulster who haven't lost there in about 25 games. They would have been tough fixtures even at full strength. The problem for me is the nature of the defeats - last night, we started brilliantly, and then never really did anything else in attack, while the defence was poor all night. Against Leinster, we were never really in the game despite scoring a fair few points.

Under Rennie and Toonie, when we were missing big numbers, the guys who came in weren't as strong, but knew exactly what their roles were. We tended to lose those games due to the oft-mentioned individual errors rather than a poor overall team performance.Currently, that understanding doesn't seem to be there, and last night especially felt as if we made fewer mistakes, but were just completely shite, although I'm not sure if the stats would bear that out. I'm not sure if it's a coaching issue or just that we are having to go so far into the depths that the guys coming in haven't had time to learn everything, perhaps a combination of both, but it needs fixed fast or we are in serious trouble.

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I knew rugby was a more affluent crowd than football but these prices are ridiculous.

Im sure the cheapest were £70 for the last home game vs Wales so that doesn't change. Cardiff was £80 for cheapest tickets this year. Games are always sold out so not as if they are pricing themselves out. Probably helps that everyone knows the fixtures and dates a year in advance so people can make a weekend out of it

I've read that the French are only allowing their players to make three match day 23 appearances this autumn and that for this weekend's game against Fiji they are going to keep the same team as the first two but change the subs.

That means we won't be facing Dupont, Ntacmk, Ollivon, Alldritt, Fickou which makes topping the group a realistic aim. On the other hand they have loads of good players who will keen to make an impact like Serin and Jalibert.

wee Duncy starting, with Lang on the bench in case it goes tits up...

Scotland team

Scotland: Hogg (c); Graham, Harris, Johnson, Van der Merwe; Weir, Price; Sutherland, McInally, Z Fagerson; Cummings, Gray; Ritchie, Watson, Thomson.

Replacements: Turner, Kebble, Nel, Skinner, Haining, Hidalgo-Clyne, Lang, Kinghorn.