Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I generally can't stand this sort of shite, but I will absolutely be claiming my 83 hours playing hide and seek with Niko Matawalu

149121459_4289733121054796_3548916954728

Should probably let me get my 58 hours of eating breakfast in bed with him first. You'll find him easier after that.

PS - delighted to beat England.

PPS - f**k yesterday's ref.

PPPS - seems Racing were right (🤢) to punt that arsehead Nakarawa for his attitude. Hopefully he does the same to Ulster.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The English officials are generally fairly average in their domestic league, but they really manage to lower themselves to a horrendous level when it comes to Europe and internationals

When Wayne Barnes is the best English referee, you know how bad things are. 

Carley is just fucking horrendous in general, and Pierce is just in love with himself. After a weekend of them, I'm sick of hearing their voices in my head. 

8 hours ago, honestly united said:

I think everything has already been covered, crap ref, i remember him being dreadful the last time we had him in a Scotland game, but discipline cost us, with refs this bad you have to make sure you dont give them a chance to make these decisions.

You reminded me there that I was raging at the refereeing of Ireland v Scotland in the Autumn Nations Cup, so I went back and looked at what I'd said, which was; "For me it was a non-test. Possibly the worst refereed test I've seen."

He gave Ireland their second try when there's no possibility you could see it grounded. It's incredible. He awards it on the pitch though you can't see a thing, the TMO shows nothing, so he sticks with his award.

I think O'Mahoney's pass for Ireland's third try is forward. Not looked at.

One Ireland player got three - literally, three - shouts of "no, release now" with no penalty, but Fraser Brown got instantly pinged when he was clearly trapped at the base of a ruck and would have caused more disruption if he'd tried to get out, even if he could. Ali Price took a quick tap-penalty and Henderson cynically took him out after he'd gone 5 yards - just another penalty when it really should have been a yellow, and the second penalty was from where the offence occurred, not from 10 yards in front of the original penalty as it should have been. Cowan had two hands on the ball trying to drag it off an Irish player on the ground, it went on for at least 3 seconds before Cowan was cleared out and no penalty was given for not releasing.

The yellow card against Duncan Taylor for a deliberate knock-on was incredibly harsh. It was just about inside the range of options for the ref, but with this ref, everything is going to be as bad as possible for Scotland.

And who reffed it? Yep, you guessed it.

Properly bad referees like Carley are why cyncal b*****ds like O'Mahoney prosper in the game. People say Scotland should be more streetwise - I say referees should do they job, because I want to watch rugby played by the rules, not won by who's best at getting away with cheating. If this is what rugby is supposed to be like then I'll not bother renewing my season books and I'll spend the money on football instead.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

You reminded me there that I was raging at the refereeing of Ireland v Scotland in the Autumn Nations Cup, so I went back and looked at what I'd said, which was; "For me it was a non-test. Possibly the worst refereed test I've seen."

He gave Ireland their second try when there's no possibility you could see it grounded. It's incredible. He awards it on the pitch though you can't see a thing, the TMO shows nothing, so he sticks with his award.

One Ireland player got three - literally, three - shouts of "no, release now" with no penalty, but Fraser Brown got instantly pinged when he was clearly trapped at the base of a ruck and would have caused more disruption if he'd tried to get out, even if he could. Ali Price took a quick tap-penalty and Henderson cynically took him out after he'd gone 5 yards - just another penalty when it really should have been a yellow, and the second penalty was from where the offence occurred, not from 10 yards in front of the original penalty as it should have been. Cowan had two hands on the ball trying to drag it off an Irish player on the ground, it went on for at least 3 seconds before Cowan was cleared out and no penalty was given for not releasing.

The yellow card against Duncan Taylor for a deliberate knock-on was incredibly harsh. It was just about inside the range of options for the ref, but with this ref, everything is going to be as bad as possible for Scotland.

Properly bad referees like Carley are why cyncal b*****ds like O'Mahoney prosper in the game. People say Scotland should be more streetwise - I say referees should do they job, because I want to watch rugby played by the rules, not won by who's best at getting away with cheating. If this is what rugby is supposed to be like then I'll not bother renewing my season books and I'll spend the money on football instead.

Thanks, for the life of me I couldn't what game it was he had been dreadful in, the fact he looks like young Peirs Morgan is even more reason to hate him

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Aye, I'm planning on watching them both back because I'm a sad sack but I'm wondering if the two games where we appear to have lost the head in adversity (Ireland and Wales) have as much to do with Carley being one of the more "they're on top so the others must be infringing" types of referees. 

Can't remember who mentioned it before but one of the key lessons from this weekend is if there's contact to the head your captain is there to make sure the TMO looks at it at the next stoppage. Williams should have been off. We really miss a Barclay like figure who seemed excellent at "painting the picture"/kindly refereeing the game for the officials, especially in regards the breakdown and foul play. I realise this contradicts the end of your point there but I'd draw a distinction between managing the ref and being complete shithouses.

On the warning/coaching rather than just penalising, this would I imagine be common in order to encourage longer periods of play/flowing games. Of course, what would actually help this is penalising consistently and binning cynical ignoring of the rules to give away a pen rather than a try (almost no one stays onside in their own 22) and persistent slowing down type penalties

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

We have a great opportunity to put a poor Irish team to the sword in 4 weeks. Let's do it, and get them out of our head once and for all

Agree with this but they are still playing with a level of aggression and aerial ability which I worry about us matching

35 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, I'm planning on watching them both back because I'm a sad sack but I'm wondering if the two games where we appear to have lost the head in adversity (Ireland and Wales) have as much to do with Carley being one of the more "they're on top so the others must be infringing" types of referees. 

Can't remember who mentioned it before but one of the key lessons from this weekend is if there's contact to the head your captain is there to make sure the TMO looks at it at the next stoppage. Williams should have been off. We really miss a Barclay like figure who seemed excellent at "painting the picture"/kindly refereeing the game for the officials, especially in regards the breakdown and foul play. I realise this contradicts the end of your point there but I'd draw a distinction between managing the ref and being complete shithouses.

On the warning/coaching rather than just penalising, this would I imagine be common in order to encourage longer periods of play/flowing games. Of course, what would actually help this is penalising consistently and binning cynical ignoring of the rules to give away a pen rather than a try (almost no one stays onside in their own 22) and persistent slowing down type penalties

I think the issue is about when you move from a tackle to a ruck, the ref needs to balance between the jackaler going for the ball in a tackle then moving to a ruck haivng the opportunity to get his hands off. I agree that it should be one instruction of "hands off its now a ruck" and anything after that is a ruck

Zander Fagerson had his disaplinary panel Tuesday. Who is the 3rd choice Prop on that side as I expected him to miss the rest of the tournament to spite the comments made by Townsend and Hamish Watson about the red card

59 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Edinburgh's new ground is finished 

Just a series of temporary stands being built as permanent stands

Bit of a joke 

Maybe they've realised as won't have any fans in it the next 3 years doesn't really matter

Edited by Binos

1 minute ago, Binos said:

Just a series of temporary stands being built as permanent stands

Bit of a joke 

the problem is that is all they could get planning permission for from the council due to complaints from the locals.