Rugby Union

kiwififer

Lions squad meltdown day tomorrow. What are we expecting? 5 at least? I'm mostly looking forward to being told it's unrealistic to expect any of our players in the squad ahead of the 15 English players from the the we keep beating.

I reckon for Scotland Hogg will go, and may even be a dark horse for captain. I also think, despite the massive campaign against them by the English and Welsh media that Watson and Russell will definitely be there. I also think Price will make it. Sutherland's injury might rule him out, but can see Fagerson making it as well. Beyond that? I don't know. Harris is being talked up, but I think Davies has more credit in the bank. Centres are a heavy weak spot though so being defensively sound and not making too many mistakes might be enough. DVM I think also has a bigger chance than people think. He's not defensively sound, but neither are LRZ, Adams or May. DVM offers something they don't have though, and I think Gatland might want that, especially with no North.

My heavy outsider from Scotland Maitland. Heavily underrated, great in defence and in the air, and deceptively quick. He doesn't get mentioned at all, but I bet he's in the discussion. I also think Johnny Gray's ability to make 500 tackles a match without missing any may see him sneak in if Tandy can be especially persuasive.

I think Hogg, Russell and Watson are on the plane.

VDM, Sutherland, Ritchie, Gray, Harris, Fagerson, Price as possibles in that order of potential.

As sneaky outsiders Redpath - immense against England then out injured, could be a possible, Brown - no real stand out hookers and can fill in on backrow as well with a smaller squad being adaptable will be important.

Looking forward to the seethe when SImmonds and Care get picked, and Sexton is left out

Lions squad meltdown day tomorrow. What are we expecting? 5 at least? I'm mostly looking forward to being told it's unrealistic to expect any of our players in the squad ahead of the 15 English players from the the we keep beating.
I reckon for Scotland Hogg will go, and may even be a dark horse for captain. I also think, despite the massive campaign against them by the English and Welsh media that Watson and Russell will definitely be there. I also think Price will make it. Sutherland's injury might rule him out, but can see Fagerson making it as well. Beyond that? I don't know. Harris is being talked up, but I think Davies has more credit in the bank. Centres are a heavy weak spot though so being defensively sound and not making too many mistakes might be enough. DVM I think also has a bigger chance than people think. He's not defensively sound, but neither are LRZ, Adams or May. DVM offers something they don't have though, and I think Gatland might want that, especially with no North.
My heavy outsider from Scotland Maitland. Heavily underrated, great in defence and in the air, and deceptively quick. He doesn't get mentioned at all, but I bet he's in the discussion. I also think Johnny Gray's ability to make 500 tackles a match without missing any may see him sneak in if Tandy can be especially persuasive.
Had the same thoughts about Maitland, with the smaller squad size then the fact he can play on the wing as well as fullback might help his case.

Hogg, Russell and Watson definite for me.

Duhan and Harris just behind and would be in my squad. Would like there to be more but can't see it tbh.

48 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Had the same thoughts about Maitland, with the smaller squad size then the fact he can play on the wing as well as fullback might help his case.

Hogg, Russell and Watson definite for me.

Duhan and Harris just behind and would be in my squad. Would like there to be more but can't see it tbh.

Seems to be heavy rumours that somebody who is not a current international has been picked. Everyone seems to think it's Care or Simmonds, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marler.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Seems to be heavy rumours that somebody who is not a current international has been picked. Everyone seems to think it's Care or Simmonds, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Marler.

I dont think it will be Marler, he turned down playing in the 6N's as he would have to be away from his family for so long, cant see him going with the Lions which will be just as long away from home

5 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I dont think it will be Marler, he turned down playing in the 6N's as he would have to be away from his family for so long, cant see him going with the Lions which will be just as long away from home

Yeah, Telegraph saying it's Simmonds. Which is going to be a real kick in the teeth for whoever gets left out. 

Simmonds absolutely deserves his place in the squad and the fact that he isn't a current international is only down to Eddie Jones arrogance, not the players ability.

As others have said, Hogg, Russell & Watson are surely stick ons.

I'd like to think Duhan can get in and maybe Ritchie and Zander. Sutherland possibly, depending on fitness. I can't see Harris getting close to be honest unless Townsend has been really insistent on it.

I think Jonny Gray will be very unlucky and miss out. If Alun Wyn Jones wasn't getting in for being a great captain I'd reckon Gray could have edged him out, but there's such a lack of good options for captain I can understand the decision.

9 will be the most interesting position as no one has really stood out for that spot. I personally would take John Cooney and Conor Murray and wouldn't have Ali Price anywhere near the squad. I suppose it depends on who they see as the starting 10. If it's Finn, they need a safer pair of hands at 9 (and ideally a goal kicker too). But Biggar, or (god forbid) Farrell, starting at 10 would mean they probably want a more dynamic scrum half.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

AWJ confirmed as captain, hard to argue with. Just reading the Ugo Monye/Chris Jones selection. Former Harlequins player Monye picking Marcus Smith ahead of Russell for some reason no one knows, Aaron Wainwright, and both selecting co host Danny Care...

24 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

AWJ confirmed as captain, hard to argue with. Just reading the Ugo Monye/Chris Jones selection. Former Harlequins player Monye picking Marcus Smith ahead of Russell for some reason no one knows, Aaron Wainwright, and both selecting co host Danny Care...

If Smith had a Scottish granny I would have him in the Scotland squad ahead of Hastings, but probably not Russell at this point. He's probably the most exciting 10 in England at the moment.  I think Moyne is putting him over as a way of showing up the players Jones isn't picking for England. Most of my mates down here want him starting ahead of Ford and Farrell for England, but again most want to see England play more of a Scottish style of play than the dour forward based stuff they have been served up lately by Jones. To be fair if the rumours of Wilson being top of the list for the Harlequins job he'll be relegated to a forgotten man soon enough

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

If Smith had a Scottish granny I would have him in the Scotland squad ahead of Hastings, but probably not Russell at this point. He's probably the most exciting 10 in England at the moment.  I think Moyne is putting him over as a way of showing up the players Jones isn't picking for England. Most of my mates down here want him starting ahead of Ford and Farrell for England, but again most want to see England play more of a Scottish style of play than the dour forward based stuff they have been served up lately by Jones. To be fair if the rumours of Wilson being top of the list for the Harlequins job he'll be relegated to a forgotten man soon enough

Aye I get the frustration around Smith down there, and he should have had chances as he looks great. But it's a different world picking players for England with the number of quality players they have.

The Ford and Farrell set of midfield combinations, and that forward-focussed style, guided England to a WC final less than 2 years ago, both are in their peak years, it's hard to argue what point Smith should have supplanted them until now. I think Ford is quite underrated as well. Tbf though as much as I defended Ford/Farrell/Slade at the time it clearly doesn't work properly without Manu. I'd say there's other players in different positions who are more obvious failures to promote than Smith for England in the last few years.

I see a lot of folk talking about the Simmonds pick as Gatland getting one over on Jones, but I think it also absolutely stinks of a Townsend pick, he'd love a guy like that for Scotland. Also, if it means Stander misses out it will be quite funny. Watson, not so much!

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

I see a lot of folk talking about the Simmonds pick as Gatland getting one over on Jones, but I think it also absolutely stinks of a Townsend pick, he'd love a guy like that for Scotland. Also, if it means Stander misses out it will be quite funny. Watson, not so much!

Simmonds and Mercer are the two guys not currently playing international rugby who I wish were uncapped and/or eligible for Scotland. I like Fagerson but add one of those two and we have 4 great back rowers and never have to think about Gary Graham again. 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Simmonds and Mercer are the two guys not currently playing international rugby who I wish were uncapped and/or eligible for Scotland. I like Fagerson but add one of those two and we have 4 great back rowers and never have to think about Gary Graham again. 

Yeah. Mercer was eligible for Scotland as well, even came through our academy system and played for GHA, but there was some kind of falling out about him signing for Bath, rather than one of the Scottish teams and we didn't pick him for age grade. He's since been fucked around by Jones and is away to France because he's never getting a game for England. Really worked out well for all parties that.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah. Mercer was eligible for Scotland as well, even came through our academy system and played for GHA, but there was some kind of falling out about him signing for Bath, rather than one of the Scottish teams and we didn't pick him for age grade. He's since been fucked around by Jones and is away to France because he's never getting a game for England. Really worked out well for all parties that.

I think we briefly discussed this before and I now think it's pretty much NAP that he had a word in Redpath and Bayliss' ears after the way he was treated. 

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
5 minutes ago, honestly united said:
37 man squad - so thats wrong unless both Sutherland and Vunipola going

Sky have been saying 36 all morning. I assumed vunipola was a reserve?

Think Gatland just said it was a 37 man squad, and they cut it at the last minute.