Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Straighten there, and Hansen probably goes off injured with that awful tackle technique as well

I mean you can't argue with his performance on Sunday but there are parts of his (and Lowe's) games which are really not great. But then we saw the same with Duhan this weekend, there's very few Josh Adams/Mapimpi type all round excellent wingers at the moment. All have some issues in their games.

Looking at the front row on the bench and thinking about what could have been....

Problem with Kinghorn at 10 is that he's not absolutely terrible. He'll do ok, will be mostly fine up to a point, but that's it. He's not going to get much better. We've also not got a kicker now for this game, Kinghorn isn't an international class kicker. Healy probably is.

Edited by GAD

I don't wish to disrespect Italy but we're at home to them and we still have a strong enough squad on paper. If we play well we still need to target the winning bonus point.

The summer games offer further experiments but Kinghorn at 10 is a realistic option at the world cup in the games against Tonga and Romania.

13 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Our visitors are missing Ange Capuozzo.

Screenshot_2023-03-16-10-58-53-09_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

It’s Sebastian Negri I’m concerned about. That guy is absolutely class. 

They’ve also finally dropped the hopeless scrum half. 

I would rather see what Healy has than give Kinghorn another run at 10, however its clear Kinghorn is our bench option for 10 / 15 / Wing going forward. I dont think Kinghorn is even 2nd choice 10 as that is clearly Hastings, and 3rd choice would be either Thomson or Healy for me but Kinghorn is clearly going to be in the world cup squad. Im not sure if the selection says more about Healy's ability (or lack there off) at 10, or how well Smith is going at 10. Im sure the last few Glasgow games McKay had been shunted to the wing to accommodate Smith at fullback so maybe he is seen as playing well and more deserving of a shot.

Sometimes ending up with Kinghorn at 10 could be unavoidable if it's been enforced through injury and you've got a bench stacked with forwards. That scenario is fair enough.

Actively choosing to start him there are about half a dozen better options is madness, and it's even worse when he's the best available option at full back.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Sometimes ending up with Kinghorn at 10 could be unavoidable if it's been enforced through injury and you've got a bench stacked with forwards. That scenario is fair enough.

Actively choosing to start him there are about half a dozen better options is madness, and it's even worse when he's the best available option at full back.

I think Smith is a decent fullback tbh, a bit underrated. I guess they aren't sure on Healy yet, and with Hastings injured we aren't massively stocked at 10. I just don't think it's going to work out, it's like that time Hogg played 10 against Italy, it was serviceable, did the job, but was nothing more than that and actually nullified a lot of the stuff Hogg is good at.

Largely agree with what's been said above, for me we need another put and out 10 to put his hand up for selection, so Kinghorn can compete for 15 where I think he's best. But the other slight concern I have is where are our young players? Very few have been involved in this 6 nations, and I'd like to see a few props sprout out the ground sometime soon or I can see us really hampered in scrums.

On 16/03/2023 at 15:28, Dunning1874 said:

I find it utterly bizarre tbh, Kinghorn has effectively been the back up full back and performed well whenever he has come on. And now when the full back is missing? Aye, we'll bring in somebody else and shunt you to 10.

If Healy can't be trusted to start against Italy, what actually is the point of bringing him in?

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I find it utterly bizarre tbh, Kinghorn has effectively been the back up full back and performed well whenever he has come on. And now when the full back is missing? Aye, we'll bring in somebody else and shunt you to 10.

If Healy can't be trusted to start against Italy, what actually is the point of bringing him in?

Truth is, despite what seems like quite a progressive tournament, nobody has the slightest bit of faith in Scotland winning today.  That’s all on Townsend - he’s now put pressure on the 10 and the 15 when there are plainly more reliable options.   I guess we’ll see in a couple of hours.  

That was a poor decision to run that, I think we were winning that kicking duel. Not been a great start tbh, Italy pack are driving us back and making meters, 2 pens already. Looking ominous.