Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

. That it's people who never seem to watch or post about rugby outside of the 6 nations who have this bee in their bonnet about people discussing refereeing is very telling imo. 

That the people who post on this thread outside the 6N have a severe dose of the "Always cheated, never defeated"? 

Just now, peasy23 said:

Game hinges on that final play before half time imo. Scotland kick to touch, make a chance, but come away with nothing and go in behind. You can bet if the roles are reversed Ireland come away with points.

Aye, but… the ref tackled our player. 

6 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Two things can be true though can't they. Scotland have been desperately poor in the second half; but unfortunately rugby is, more than any other sport I can think of, one where the laws are so complex that the referee has a decisive impact. There is not a single team who have been recognised as the best in world since I have been watching the sport who haven't also been the most effective players of the referee, or cheats if you like. That it's people who never seem to watch or post about rugby outside of the 6 nations who have this bee in their bonnet about people discussing refereeing is very telling imo. 

I get that the interpretation of the laws can vary from referee to referee - what I do expect though is consistency for both sides - in the modern game that doesn't always happen.   We've seen it happen against and for us depending who we are playing.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

14 minutes ago, S7C said:

Should rename this ‘The Armchair Refereeing Thread’. It’s a non-stop whinge about how the refs are against us every week of the tournament.

Ireland too clinical and we’ve made too many mistakes, which you simply can’t make against a team of this class. We’ve made progress, undoubtedly, but there’s still a big gap.

Yep I’m no rugby expert but as far as I can see Ireland are simply much better than us. As were France.

Third best team in the tournament, no shame in that but we are nowhere near winning it.

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That the people who post on this thread outside the 6N have a severe dose of the "Always cheated, never defeated"? 

Who said anything about cheated? It's perfectly possible to think you've had a hard time from a referee and been beaten by a better team. Again, if you understood the sport you're pontificating on you would understand that this is an important facet of the game. As mentioned earlier here l, Ireland fans were complaining about the referee on twitter earlier as well. It's really not that difficult to understand 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Who said anything about cheated? It's perfectly possible to think you've had a hard time from a referee and been beaten by a better team. Again, if you understood the sport you're pontificating on you would understand that this is how the sport is discussed. As mentioned earlier here l, Ireland fans were complaining about the referee on twitter earlier as well. It's really not that difficult to understand 

Even without the referee Ireland have been by far the better team.

Our decision making has been awful at times.

You'll see the same posters making the same points about refereeing in every Italy game as well, because Italy are clearly refereed in a different way to every other team in the tournament, Scotland included. Come the World Cup, you'll see Scotland benefiting from this against Tonga and Romania while suffering from it against Ireland and South Africa. There's no other sport where the referee has such a huge influence and it doesn't mean anyone is in denial about Ireland being a far better team than Scotland regardless.