Rugby Union

kiwififer

30 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Is there anything worse than the "Scotland played well" "good luck Ireland" "Great effort" happy clappy arseholes that stink out every Scotland social media post?

You have to remember, that for most followers of Scottish rugby, International sport is akin to a school inter-house championship.

The ProTeams, particularly Glasgow, have done some sterling work in stirring up some rivalries and animosity but still a lot to do.

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

You have to remember, that for most followers of Scottish rugby, International sport is akin to a school inter-house championship.

I invaded the pitch when Locheil defeated Seaforth in the Interhouse sports day but I get your meaning entirely 

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Fair play to Portugal, whatever happens. Get the Six Nations expanded to Eight Nations so that teams like them can get more regular matches. I can't stand closed shops.

There’s not enough time in the calendar to be playing seven matches so your choice is either two groups of four with semi and final (and maybe also a plate tournament), or keep it at six with promotion and relegation (either automatic 1 up 1 down or a playoff).

I think they’ll be reluctant to do the former because they won’t want to lose the annual Calcutta cup and other annual fixtures. If anything is to be done it’ll probably just be a playoff between the bottom team in the 6N and the winner of the European championship. 

Nah just make room. Seven competitive internationals is hardly a lot compared to other sports. Keeping it at six teams is rubbish as the sixth team would just replace Italy getting battered every game. Having a couple of games against similar opponents would build confidence, and the relegation battle would add an exciting element to the tournament.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

9 hours ago, Donathan said:

There’s not enough time in the calendar to be playing seven matches so your choice is either two groups of four with semi and final (and maybe also a plate tournament), or keep it at six with promotion and relegation (either automatic 1 up 1 down or a playoff).

I think they’ll be reluctant to do the former because they won’t want to lose the annual Calcutta cup and other annual fixtures. If anything is to be done it’ll probably just be a playoff between the bottom team in the 6N and the winner of the European championship. 

In times past the emerging nations would have got games against the more established nations as part of the Autumn International

Scotland would likely host

• One of the Southern Hemisphere Big 3 who we would expect to lose against but you never know we might get lucky
  • One of the more dangerous outsider teams like Argentina or Samoa who we would expect to beat, but you never know they might get lucky
  • And someone like Canada where we'd basically be doing them a favour by playing them

There is more and more pressure to book box office visitors so we're seeing the "big guns" turn up on a more regular basis which is squeezing out opportunities for the less glamourous ones

And what's worse. It's taking the mystique off the "big games" New Zealand seem to visit Murrayfield almost as often as England do. They probably play at Twickenham more than we do

These events used to be "a rare chance to see" but now if you miss the current tour then you can catch next years

England have booked NZ, SA and Australia for 2024 already. 

Another thing that's more or less disappeared is smaller touring nations playing clubs and provinces. It's not very practical now because of the way the international window works. 

Currently Scotland vs Portugal might be something of a foregone conclusion but if they turn up to play Glasgow that's a lot harder to call 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

19 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Also 7 teams would make it 3 home and 3 away fixtures.

To keep excitement on the last weekend for a potential title decider the 7th ranked team could always be the side not playing on the final weekend.

Quite like that idea. Maybe replace the seventh team every two years to ensure a full tour of home and away fixtures.

If you're having seven you may as well have eight teams, otherwise one team has to sit out every week. Would have relegation every two years based on an aggregate table so everyone has played everyone else home and away.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

In times past the emerging nations would have got games against the more established nations as part of the Autumn International

Scotland would likely host

• One of the Southern Hemisphere Big 3 who we would expect to lose against but you never know we might get lucky
  • One of the more dangerous outsider teams like Argentina or Samoa who we would expect to beat, but you never know they might get lucky
  • And someone like Canada where we'd basically be doing them a favour by playing them

There is more and more pressure to book box office visitors so we're seeing the "big guns" turn up on a more regular basis which is squeezing out opportunities for the less glamourous ones

And what's worse. It's taking the mystique off the "big games" New Zealand seem to visit Murrayfield almost as often as England do. They probably play at Twickenham more than we do

These events used to be "a rare chance to see" but now if you miss the current tour then you can catch next years

England have booked NZ, SA and Australia for 2024 already. 

Another thing that's more or less disappeared is smaller touring nations playing clubs and provinces. It's not very practical now because of the way the international window works. 

Currently Scotland vs Portugal might be something of a foregone conclusion but if they turn up to play Glasgow that's a lot harder to call 

For a few seasons not so long ago, Scotland weren’t deemed challenging enough for the big teams in Autumn internationals, so we got Argentina or Fiji or Samoa six years on the spin.   

26 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

I take it that we are all hoping for an Argentina, New Zealand, Fiji, France semi-final line up? 

Im torn, on the one hand I want an Ireland vs SA final so at least we can say its the best 2 teams that beat us in the group.

On the other Ireland and SA are my 2 least favourite teams, I properly detest both of them and their fans, I would much rather one of the diddy teams like Wales or England win it than either of those, France is probably the best call.

Edited by honestly united

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Im torn, on the one hand I want an Ireland vs SA final so at least we can say its the best 2 teams that beat us in the group.

On the other Ireland and SA are my 2 least favourite teams, I properly detest both of them and their fans, I would much rather one of the diddy teams like Wales or England win it than either of those, France is probably the best call.

Agree i don't want the bocks or ireland to win it. Especially as both sets of fans think they have already won it. France or the All blacks to win it for me 

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

Wales would be completely insufferable if they won it (they already are). ABW.