Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just a wee bit fortunate France. Scandalous decision v us and Uri Gellerre knocking the ball over with the last kick there

To show just how far Ireland are ahead of everyone here, they’ve won all 3 matches so far with bonus points and no one else has a single bonus point win.

Wales did get the try bonus against us, but lost. 

Based on that France showing I'm really seeing that game at Murrayfield as the one that got away. By the same token though it's going to be real tricky out in Rome. It'll also be tricky for Glasgow out in Treviso next weekend.

France seem to be a one man team with Antoine Dupont at the Olympics qualifying and they're psychologically down after getting put out in the quarter final of their own world cup last year. It doesn't help that Romain Ntamack's injured but Damien Penaud is one of the best wingers in the world and Louis Bielle-Biarrey will be there soon too but without Dupont they can't seem to supply ball to these guys.

Edited by come on shire

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A throwback stat to when we usually shat ourselves whenever we got in sight of the opposition try line, and only Paterson/Redpath etc kicking points kept us in games.

I seem to recall a Williams or Hadden season that they made 5 line breaks in five games, which sounds impossible but then you think back to Williams and Hadden. 

I've not seen the stats on this one, but I actually thought our lineout seemed to work really well against England, I only remember losing one, which Care popped straight up to Cummings to break through.

Usually its been dreadful but for once it seemed to go well, infact i think we also took some on Englands through also

24 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I've not seen the stats on this one, but I actually thought our lineout seemed to work really well against England, I only remember losing one, which Care popped straight up to Cummings to break through.

Usually its been dreadful but for once it seemed to go well, infact i think we also took some on Englands through also

The final try came from pinching their line out.  

6 hours ago, honestly united said:

All the stats are here

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/m6n/matches/2024/scotland-v-england-24022024-1645

17 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The lineout being dreadful has annoyed me for a while so good to see improvement the last 2 games (12/14 vs France and 14/16 last week), however 1st week was poor vs Wales with 14/20. We really need to be targetting 100% if we want to compete with the top teams.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/27/duhan-van-der-merwe-latest-candidate-to-fill-boots-of-wonder-winger-jonah-lomu-breakdown-rugby-union

"The hunt has been on for years. Will there ever be another onrushing winger formidable enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the late, great Jonah Lomu? Plenty have auditioned, from the fearsome Alesana Tuilagi and Nemani Nadolo to the massive Taqele Naiyaravoro and Joe Cokanasiga, without managing to beat Lomu’s career tally of 37 tries in 63 Tests between 1994 and 2002.

Increasingly, though, there is a new challenger. While Duhan van der Merwe may be nowhere near Lomu’s physical dimensions, he is an imposing enough specimen at 106kg and 1.93 metres tall. And last Saturday, amid the hurly-burly of Scotland’s Six Nations win over England, his Calcutta Cup hat-trick stretched his career tally to 26 tries in only 37 Tests since his debut against Georgia in October 2020."