Rugby Union

kiwififer

NZ teams wearing heritage jerseys this weekend. The Hurricanes one looks superb, although the blue on the Highlanders one looks a bit dark. That might just be the rain in Wellington though!

That's Benetton looking like they've got the job done.

Scottish teams losing form at the decisive point in the season. It's a collective mentality problem. 

The SRU need to be ruthless with Edinburgh. They consistently underachieve and you wonder how much of the Scottish mental weakness at international level stems from the poor standards at Edinburgh. Any player with quality thee like Ritchie or Patterson should be looking for the exit and try to emulate Kinghorn. Simply not good enough. 

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

The SRU need to be ruthless with Edinburgh. They consistently underachieve and you wonder how much of the Scottish mental weakness at international level stems from the poor standards at Edinburgh. Any player with quality thee like Ritchie or Patterson should be looking for the exit and try to emulate Kinghorn. Simply not good enough. 

Glasgow too - they nearly sh*t the bed at home against the league's worst team last night and their mad 10 minutes two weeks ago may well have cost them a home semi final. When the big boys really dig deep, neither side has enough of what it takes upstairs to beat them.

Glasgow are the only side in the URC with a 100% home record and have apparently never lost to SA opposition at home.

I still don't trust them not to disgrace the bed so I've got a tenner on Stormers at 11/5. 

Bath really unlucky there. Only saw the last half hour but done real gutsy stuff with 14 men for pretty much the whole game. I think at the end they probably should have had a penalty. I was pretty sure you couldn't rip as part of the tackle when the attacking player was on the ground.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Bath really unlucky there. Only saw the last half hour but done real gutsy stuff with 14 men for pretty much the whole game. I think at the end they probably should have had a penalty. I was pretty sure you couldn't rip as part of the tackle when the attacking player was on the ground.

Yeah, good point. You've got to release the tackled player before you compete at the ruck. It probably depends on how the ref views it too.

Don’t think he had called the tackle as complete, so he couldn’t really give anything different there.

TBH I had more issue with the clear out  just before HT. He gave a penalty, but I was amazed they didn’t have another look. It looks very close to being a shoulder straight to the head of the guy on the ground.

Is 'blitz defence' a euphemism for constantly offside?

BTW, for those that didn't watch the Leinster-Ulster game, this deft volley with the outside of the boot by Prendegrast...

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Is 'blitz defence' a euphemism for constantly offside?

I'm amazed that the attacking teams haven't worked out how to rip it apart by now. There seems to be no imagination (which is why guys like Russell stand out so much) and coaches just play by the coaching manual. It's frustrating to watch sometimes