Rugby Union

kiwififer

Great result by the scots this morning, probably will be the biggest upset of the tournament! Tonga were very disappointing and their defense was terrible, a very rusty start for them considering the way they played and blew away Samoa earlier this year. Hopefully Scotland can kick on from that and upset Italy too, if Wallace and Brough in the halves can step up and put the team into good field positions then they have every chance if they play like they did this morning.

For fuctifano, the team as far as I know has one or two actual scottish born players and the rest are english with scottish bloodline and there is a couple of Aussies linnett and the experienced halfback Wallace in the team too.

The Scotland-Tonga RLWC game is on Premier Sports tomorrow night, which i seem to be getting for free on my basic Virgin package. Just noticed when i was channel hopping tonight, they currently have NZ-Samoa on followed by Ireland-Fiji. Channel 551

According to my old man Virgin are giving you Premier Sports free up to the end of the year.

Absolutely heroic performance against Tonga. Difficult to judge teams coming into this as international football beyond the big three is so rare, but on paper you'd probably say Tonga are the best of the rest outwith Australia, New Zealand and England so that is a tremendous result.

Think a win over Italy would pretty much secure qualification from the format i should think with it being a three team group, although the inter-group games muddy the waters a bit.

Only two bonafide Scots lads in the squad, Matty Russel and David Scott. Other than that it's English or Aussie lads with grannies etc.

Edited by Christophe

Danny Brough, Scotland captain, said he qualified for Scotalnd because his gran walked her dog in Kilmarnock once :lol:

Great result last night for the Scots.

Think he said HE used to walk his dog in Kilmarnock. His grandfather is actually Scottish as there are the level of bloodline rules as in football.

Am I right in saying that even if Scotland beat USA, they'll still go out if Italy beat Tonga?*

* And Italy are ahead on PF/PA

Yes.

Note that Tonga still have a chance too, though: their 'inter-group' game is against the Cook Islanders who apparently they should beat.

That'd put them on 2pts behind us+Italy on 3pts.

If we failed to beat USA, Tonga play 3 days later knowing a win over Italy puts them through.