Rugby Union

kiwififer

A few strange choices in amongst the usual suspects

Front Row as expected - Dell, Nel, Fagerson Brown, McInally and Turner pick themselves Bhatti, Bergham & Sutherland probably the best of the rest - if Reid had gone to Glasgow rather than the Bulls he may have been an option but there is no standout player missing out

2nd Row - Grey, Cummings and Toolis are by far the best 3 - Gilchrist doesn't bring enough, Craig i've heard good things about but never seen play so can comment, other than he only has a handfull of games for Gloucester - hopefully him and Gordon are just there for experience and not expected to be playing. If the other Grey wanted back in the squad he should be there.

Back row - apart from Zander, I would have Matt Fagerrson down as Glasgows best player this season (blip against La Rochelle aside) so dissapointed he isnt in the squad, and I think he suits the way Scotland want to play. It seems though that Townsend is after a big battering ram no.8 now, and after going through Strauss and Thompson, which isn't really Fagersons game. I dont remember seeing Haining play but he is another SH import of Scottish ancestry playing second fiddle to Mata at 8. There was no fanfare when he arrived, or when he was at Bristol so cant say im excited to see him start. De Preez has always been ok, but nothing special. I like the look of Crosbie so good inclusion, but suprised at Gordon getting in the squad

9&10 pick themselves really as does 15 - although was really impressed by Bryce vs Exeter so may be one to keep an eye on.

Centres - assume Grigg is still injured hence why not in the team, Horne & Taylor being dropped is a suprise, not that I think they are that good, just a lot of coaches seem to rate them. Johnson / Scott at inside and Jones / Hutchinson outside are fairly similar players so. Bennett must have been there or there abouts, but you have Harris / Steyn that can cover wing and centre so probably justifiable.

Wing - tagive? McGuigan? Both would get no where near starting for Glasgow - surely we have better wingers than that available?

The Tagive pick is a really strange one. He is 29, so not exactly up and coming. He's behind Seymour, DTH, Niko and Steyn at Glasgow, probably Lee Jones as well if we ever see him again. If it came to it, you'd probably play Jones, Bennet, Taylor or Harris at wing ahead of him, and two of those guys didn't even make the squad. I think McGuigan is a much better player than him as well, and then you've got big Duhan coming in during the summer ahead of him too. Seems a bit pointless to have the poor guy there when it would take an injury crisis if absolute biblical proportions to have him even on the bench. Even then, you'd probably go and beg Seymour to come out of retirement first.

From the BBC article about the squad. Toulouse lock Richie Gray, Glasgow back-row Matt Fagerson, Scarlets' Blade Thomson and Harlequins back James Lang all miss out through injury, but could feature during the tournament.

Ireland have named Sexton as captain, which has bemused a lot of their fans because

1) he will be retired before the next world cup and most think they should be picking a captain who will be there right through the next 4 years

and

2) he will almost certainly be injured at some point during the 6 nations.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Ireland have named Sexton as captain, which has bemused a lot of their fans because

1) he will be retired before the next world cup and most think they should be picking a captain who will be there right through the next 4 years

and

Quite possibly the game against us. 

and

And he's a liability

Dates and venues are decided later by the organisers... No doubt to try and ensure tight finishes, even spread of TV games, and perhaps play some games nearer to 'expat' communities.

There are 16 cities (with 2 venues in Newcastle and Leeds) hosting 31 games. Many will only do 1 game or a double-header/weekend. Big venues probably England, Australia, SFs + Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Rugby_League_World_Cup#Venues

Saracens still over-paying?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Yep, the new chairman said as much last week. I met up with my uncle and his mates last week who were up for the Exeter game, as you can imagine they fkn despise Sarries. As well as the companies set up for the players, there are rumours that some players wives had jobs at the club, with one allegedly working as a cleaner and being paid circa 100k per year.

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Yep, the new chairman said as much last week. I met up with my uncle and his mates last week who were up for the Exeter game, as you can imagine they fkn despise Sarries. As well as the companies set up for the players, there are rumours that some players wives had jobs at the club, with one allegedly working as a cleaner and being paid circa 100k per year.

As much as I hate Sarries, I dont know what they are suposed to do this season. They got caught out after the season had started, if they released anyone then they would have to pay up the contract which counts towards the salary cap anyway so makes no difference to the total. The only way round it would be if they could offload players to other clubs and not have to pay the remainder of the contract but thats not as easy to do mid season as players would probably not want to take a drop in earnings, and most other clubs are at the full limit of the cap anyway so dont have the room to bring expensive players in.

Edit to add - really good to se Richie Gray back next season - been out in France for a good few season, then bringing back what he's learned to Glasgow. Im hoping the likes of Hogg and Russell do the same - good few years away earning a decent wage and learning somewhere else then seeing out there carear helping bring through the youngsters

Edited by honestly united

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

As much as I hate Sarries, I dont know what they are suposed to do this season. They got caught out after the season had started, if they released anyone then they would have to pay up the contract which counts towards the salary cap anyway so makes no difference to the total. The only way round it would be if they could offload players to other clubs and not have to pay the remainder of the contract but thats not as easy to do mid season as players would probably not want to take a drop in earnings, and most other clubs are at the full limit of the cap anyway so dont have the room to bring expensive players in.

Edit to add - really good to se Richie Gray back next season - been out in France for a good few season, then bringing back what he's learned to Glasgow. Im hoping the likes of Hogg and Russell do the same - good few years away earning a decent wage and learning somewhere else then seeing out there carear helping bring through the youngsters

I'd be surprised if Finn came back to Scotland while Dodson is still there after the shite with his dad.

Real stench of the Sevcos around this Saracens thing. Systematic cheating for years, blaming everyone else for being jealous, getting pet journos to write endless pieces about their strength of character and never say die attitude and how punishing Saracens devalues the Premiership and insisting the off field issues shouldn't detract from their on field achievements. 

Turns out they've been over the salary cap by over £2m! That's 3 Finn Russell's, 5 Stuart Hoggs or Liam Williams. The other teams didn't have a chance against that.

Their squad was crazy. Half the England team, loads of other internationals plus a core of very good club level pros. Signing Elliot Daly when they were already over the cap was a massive F U to the other clubs and apparently they were also talking to Jonny May!

It'll be interesting to see what happens next season with their England players. The most likely outcome is that they will do an Alan Wyn Jones/Sean O'Brien and just play internationals for 20/21 and frame it as perfect preparation for the Lions tour. Gatland will probably lap that up. 

Bring Sean Maitland home! The SRU apparently have plenty cash. 

Agree about the Sevco comparison. Wray has definitely being dishing out the succulent lamb judging by the soft touch coverage they are getting. 

Edited by Detournement