Rugby Union

kiwififer

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Any particular standouts for Scotland? Especially in positions where we could use some reinforcements in the next couple of years

Boyle (captain last year) as mentioned and Darge (captain this year) are the two standouts. Both opensides in the Embra academy...not exactly an area of weakness (although think one might get a pro deal at Glasgow next year). Beyond that there are a heap of players who have a shot at pro level. Jack Blain was a standout last year and has a pro contract with Embra (made his debut for them on the wing this team last year) but got injured v Ireland. Ollie Smith (full back), Cammy Henderson (lock), Ewan Ashman (hooker), mhak Wilson (prop), Robbie McCallum (centre) and Thomas Lambert (prop) have all had very good tournaments so far. Most of them were involved in the 2018 u18s team which won all 3 of their games at the 6 Nations Festival against England, France and Ireland. Given we're normally happy with 1 win from 3 in that tournament it was clear this group had serious potential and they've performed well in all 3 games so far.

John Barclay playing very well since he came on. Really helped turn the game actually. Ref having a nightmare for both teams hasn't helped make this much of a spectacle.

Can't wait till DVM is Scottish btw.

Edited by GAD

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Any time I've seen Blain his defence has been chronic. 

It's maybe not that strong but certainly not chronic. I've seen him across at least 15 games and he's struggled defensively in maybe 2 or 3. Cockerill wouldn't be giving him a pro deal if he couldn't defend.

11 hours ago, afca32 said:

Boyle (captain last year) as mentioned and Darge (captain this year) are the two standouts. Both opensides in the Embra academy...not exactly an area of weakness (although think one might get a pro deal at Glasgow next year). Beyond that there are a heap of players who have a shot at pro level. Jack Blain was a standout last year and has a pro contract with Embra (made his debut for them on the wing this team last year) but got injured v Ireland. Ollie Smith (full back), Cammy Henderson (lock), Ewan Ashman (hooker), mhak Wilson (prop), Robbie McCallum (centre) and Thomas Lambert (prop) have all had very good tournaments so far. Most of them were involved in the 2018 u18s team which won all 3 of their games at the 6 Nations Festival against England, France and Ireland. Given we're normally happy with 1 win from 3 in that tournament it was clear this group had serious potential and they've performed well in all 3 games so far.

They'll have Jamie Dobie for the JWC as well. 

3 hours ago, afca32 said:

No World Cup for us this year unfortunately after relegation. If we get up through the challenge trophy though he'll be eligible next year.

Yeah I knew, that, I was referring to the competition that we will be playing in, though I appreciate I could have been clearer that it's JWC Div 2!

ETA: Regardless, Scotland are playing well, and have a real game changing half back to come in with plenty of Pro14 experience. That's a great sign.

Edited by Mark Connolly

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

A penalty try from a scrum with Murray McCallum at LH a debutant TH Winning and Cammy Fenton. Impressive.

Connacht with tinpot discipline at the end.

Why's Murray McCallum fallen out the picture so much? 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

Why's Murray McCallum fallen out the picture so much? 

Schoeman, Bhatti, Sutherland, and until recently, Marfo were all competing for the same spot. Not so much fallen out of favour as a huge amount of choice. He's only 23, so still plenty to come from him.

On Cammy Fenton, I saw him play a school game for Strathallan after he had been poached decided to move there from Bell Baxter. He was an absolute monster at that level, but it's taken him a while to get over pro players being the same size as him. He'll get there though, as, like McCallum, he has plenty of time on his side.

Maggie Alphonsi in the studio. It's important to point out that there are plenty of women who are excellent rugby pundits and presenters - Jill Douglas, her colleague today being an obvious example. It's also important to note that Alphonsi was an excellent rugby player.

Having said that, can I also make the point that Maggie Alphonsi is fucking miles from being anywhere near being a half decent pundit?