Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
31 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
Zimbabwean by all accounts.

Looking through these squads, the problem seems a lot more specific than I remembered. 2007-2010 our pack was probably as strong, at least, as it is now. Three top class scrum halves, and no one of the class of Hogg or Graham in the back three but the Lamont's, Paterson, Nikki Walker, the Evans brothers were all solid enough back three players. 
Problem really seems to have been specifically in the midfield, hence the Simon Webster at 13 fun as mentioned previously. And I say that as someone who is a Dan Parks fan

We had no creative out half, that was the main problem

I dunno, teams have managed without those and been more relatively successful than we were. I'd say not having one with the absolute dross we had at centre was more specifically the problem. I think we could have had Finn Russell at fly half in those days and he'd have struggled to get much going with Graeme Morrison and Nick de Luca outside him

Team is out for Saturday, Chris Harris starts and Jones is out the squad completely. McInally in for Brown, with Matt Fagerson straight onto the bench and Haining out. Toolis replaces Gray.

I don't get the chance at centre to be honest. Surely this is a game you want Jones to play? I don't hate Harris, but I just think him and Johnson together is very samey. If he's decided he doesn't want Jones in there, then surely it should be Hutcheson then?

Not overly confident to be honest.

Team is out for Saturday, Chris Harris starts and Jones is out the squad completely. McInally in for Brown, with Matt Fagerson straight onto the bench and Haining out. Toolis replaces Gray.
I don't get the chance at centre to be honest. Surely this is a game you want Jones to play? I don't hate Harris, but I just think him and Johnson together is very samey. If he's decided he doesn't want Jones in there, then surely it should be Hutcheson then?
Not overly confident to be honest.

I rather get the feeling Townsend isn’t the biggest fan of Hutchinson.

Groom and Hickey playing tomorrow so anything could happen. Stan South is a new name to me, a short term loan from Exeter and a former England u20 captain. Cockerill gets what Cockerill wants. 

Connacht have Marmion, Carty, O'Halloran and Adekoloun all playing so will be dangerous.

Wales starting 15 for this weekend has a total of 859 caps, making them the most experienced line up in 6 nations history. Or you could say aging.

BIg test of France's championship credentials, Wales doing their bit to pressure the ref by whinging about the French scrum.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51580990

Wales starting 15 for this weekend has a total of 859 caps, making them the most experienced line up in 6 nations history. Or you could say aging.
BIg test of France's championship credentials, Wales doing their bit to pressure the ref by whinging about the French scrum.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51580990
They whinged about Furlong too. You think refs are completely immune to these things these days....but heh it's rugby 'i don't have a clue about scrums' refs we are talking about

On 19/02/2020 at 17:46, honestly united said:

With the centres we had then I don't I wouldnt have passed to them either emoji16.png

Since first thinking about this, it keeps popping up in my head. I'm now very much of the opinion that if you took 3 of the centres we've had over the last few years and a better coach, and parachuted them into that squad, we could have done a similar thing to Gatland's Wales in terms of stodgy success.

Taking the 2008 6 Nations Squad

Kerr - Ford - Murray

Scott Murray - Hines

White - Taylor - Barclay (take your pick from Brown, Beattie, Hogg and Rennie on the bench!)

Any of our scrum halves - Parks  (limited but great at what he did)

Dunbar? - Bennett?

Evans - Paterson - R.Lamont (Sean was injured)

I know there were deeper lying problems and injuries knackered a lot of these guys' careers, but to a large extent that's a not bad group of players. Would definitely say our pack was individually more impactful at least, and would take any of the three scrum halves over what we have now. 

Anyway, I know it's a pointless exercise but I found it quite interesting

The game has moved on so far in terms of conditioning, intensity and ball in play time I don't think you can make that comparison. 

Dan Biggar is starting for Sales tomorrow despite suffering his third concussion in three months against Ireland last week. The Welsh and the Irish really don't give a f**k about player's health and although we moan about Scottish mentality there is a definite downside to the win at all costs ethos they have. Not being an arsehole is a victory in itself.

Absolutely bizarre stuff there in the Edinburgh game. Scott goes over, looks like he dropped the ball with one hand backwards, but easily grounds with the other. Ref and TMO decide otherwise and end up awarding a yellow card and penalty try against Carty for a high tackle instead. Unbelievably harsh for a situation where common sense would have just seen the original try awarded.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Agreed great play from Scott.

Unfortunately the Premier app and website broke right after that so not watching now.

Working fine for me... It's a shit game to be fair. Edinburgh just scored again. Lots of Irish whinging.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

The game has moved on so far in terms of conditioning, intensity and ball in play time I don't think you can make that comparison. 

Dan Biggar is starting for Sales tomorrow despite suffering his third concussion in three months against Ireland last week. The Welsh and the Irish really don't give a f**k about player's health and although we moan about Scottish mentality there is a definite downside to the win at all costs ethos they have. Not being an arsehole is a victory in itself.

That was the downside to my argument definitely. Looking back at games from that era the difference in intensity is really marked. 

8 minutes ago, afca32 said:

U20s came from 29-18 with 15 to go to win 30-29 in Italy with a 4 try bonus point. Some superb performances again. Italy impressed me more than Ireland or England.

Any particular standouts for Scotland? Especially in positions where we could use some reinforcements in the next couple of years