Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just now, Jaggy Snake said:

Yes but we can't control the ref. The players can control what they do obviously. 

So we should just ignore the fact that the referee didn't apply the rules equally to the teams?

Fk that, it goes on too much in rugby. Referees get away with low standards because nobody wants it to be like football and they just pretend it's not a feature of rugby. Guys like Lacey made entire careers out of ruining matches.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I genuinely fucking hate the Welsh more than the English

Where do you rank the Irish in this? For me they're top. At least there are working class rugby people in Wales, in Ireland they're a bunch of entitled p***ks.

On the one hand I like that the ref's got a microphone on and explains his decisions but Bill McLaren was right that some of them absolutely love the attention, even to the point of knowing where the cameras are and turning towards them when speaking. 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

So we should just ignore the fact that the referee didn't apply the rules equally to the teams?

Fk that, it goes on too much in rugby. Referees get away with low standards because nobody wants it to be like football and they just pretend it's not a feature of rugby. Guys like Lacey made entire careers out of ruining matches.

I haven't said we should ignore it but I choose to look at it from a Scotland point of view we have to look at ourselves first. Every year we end up "on the wrong side" of referees and don't get any smarter on how to play them.

That doesn't change the fact that lots of referees are crap.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That was a tremendous tackle that time.

Absolute joke that we didn't get a penalty at that maul before van der Merwe went and a classic example of why referees need to stop coaching and start refereeing, but it was only Scotland that lost themselves that game. Passed up opportunities to be more than 17-3 ahead, contrived to only be 17-8 ahead at half time, contrived not to score again when back in the 22, got a brainless red card, even when down to 14 and working well towards a position for a drop goal that would win it kicked the fucking ball away. 

As someone who watches a bit of rugby but doesn't claim to have any real knowledge of the game, I have never understand why they do this and have always found it baffling. Surely professional players are aware of the rules, and a big part of the game is being disciplined and not breaking them, why are referees effectively telling players what to do/not to do? I'm aware they have to call certain things, but surely there is a difference between that and literally telling players what to do to avoid giving a penalty away?

I genuinely believe that they ref to the teams style not the actual play - it's why Wales and Ireland get away with what is basically illegal play.

Guest Bob Mahelp
24 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I haven't said we should ignore it but I choose to look at it from a Scotland point of view we have to look at ourselves first. Every year we end up "on the wrong side" of referees and don't get any smarter on how to play them.

That doesn't change the fact that lots of referees are crap.

This is the way I'm looking at it.

It was a mirror image of last week, where England just couldn't play the referee. Right from the first minute today, we struggled big time to interpret Carley. 

Fagerson was guilty, but Graham was a walking penalty from the second he came on. 

Time and time again, we managed to turn controlling the game into letting Wales back into it. A game that we had won easily at halftime was thrown away by an inability to stop conceding penalties. 

It didn't help that we didn't take the 3 points that would have made it 20-8, but Townsend must be seething about a side that contributed 100% to its own downfall. 

Where do you rank the Irish in this? For me they're top. At least there are working class rugby people in Wales, in Ireland they're a bunch of entitled p***ks.
As in Scotland tbf.

Re. The ref shite, we were 17 3 up and a kick to the corner. The Scotland rugby team fucked it up. Noone else.. Really thought we had turned corner last week, what a massive chance blown. I can see England beating France, we would have had a triple crown game against Ireland and a real chance of a championship.
But we fucked it all up..

The Irish, Welsh and South Africans are all teams that are far scummier than the current English squad.

Absolute arseholes from forwards to backs the lot of them.

Edited by Comrie

Guest Bob Mahelp
22 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Great call. I think most people would agree with you. The Welsh are an odious bunch of people.

Pretty much anyone that has been to all the 6 nations venues would agree that Cardiff has by far the largest amount of complete cuntiness. 

Many Welsh fans carry an arrogant amount of entitlement, mostly due to their success in the 1970's. 

As in Scotland tbf.

Re. The ref shite, we were 17 3 up and a kick to the corner. The Scotland rugby team fucked it up. Noone else.. Really thought we had turned corner last week, what a massive chance blown. I can see England beating France, we would have had a triple crown game against Ireland and a real chance of a championship.
But we fucked it all up..
The kick to the corner was stupid - should have taken the 3 points