Rugby Union

kiwififer

I certainly don't agree that Scotland outplayed them, especially first half when we had hardly any possession. We did defend brilliantly though.

I can see both sides of the Smith substitution. Personally, thought it was mad to take him off, but would think Jones thought he would bring on Ford to try and kick for territory. Plan goes out the window right away when LCD gets binned and the scores are level.

Bayliss would probably have been my favourite to replace Ritchie at 6 so that's annoying. Not sure who to replace him though. Wales got punished for a lightweight back row at the weekend so think Fagerson to 6 and Bradbury in could be a goer, rather than bringing in Darge and going for 2 sevens, although I'd like to see him on the bench. Maybe Christie, although I don't think he's the biggest either. Nice to have options you'd be happy with though, even this time last year you were looking at Gary Graham or the incredibly disappointing Blade Thomson coming in. 

I'm watching the game again. 

Simmonds should have been carded for headbutting Price. Hogg's defence has been tremendous 15 minutes in.

We have been in the English half twice and firstly knocked on setting up the maul followed by a scrum pen. Second time was Ritchie's daft line out pen.

Half time.

Obviously our defence has been immense. Russell has been very active in defence, Hogg has been briilant and Darcy's hold up on their maul was very smart play with an assist from Finn who cleared the space for him to get to the ball.

The negatives were our set play. Every time we got into position to attack we fucked it. Knocked on setting up a maul, Ritchie tackled into touch catching a line out at the front, bringing down our own maul then White making a mess of getting the ball out. When we actually executed a line out properly in their half we ran a play for Duhan and he held on in the tackle. 

Our kick chase has been crap as well. Also Hogg had the chance to let the ball run out for a 22m drop out but dotted it down which put us under pressure from a goal line drop.

Every time we managed to play some phases we looked extremely dangerous.

Edited by Detournement

Shortly before the scrum that led to their try we should have had two penalties.

Firstly Curry went in from the side after being the tackler and put his hands on the ball but O'Keefe just told him to leave it, the next phase they put Finn under pressure and blocked his kick. From the line out we went for a maul and Sinckler blatantly changed his bind but again the ref just told him to get away then they turn it over.

That is followed by the squint line out throw. It's a miracle we beat Ben O'Keefe.

We could have had penalties on each scrum at the end of the game. Marler was a complete joke in every scrum after he came. Nel was immense dealing with his pish. 

The last 20 were excellent for us with the only black mark being the neck roll which was a bit unlucky as it was McInally providing all the power rather than Watson rolling him on purpose. 

Skinner sorted the maul out when he came on and McInally and Schoeman had a big impact. 

If we can maintain the positives and not slit our own throat at the set piece as we did in the first hour we will be in a strong position on Saturday. 

Watching the game back this morning and England were, despite their fans' mewling about us only winning because they were shit, pretty good. Biggest issue I can see is despite the lack of carriers they have had in the past, Eddie is still relying on a lot of the same plays in attack. Anyone who's watched Squidge's stuff know that in the lead up to and during the '19 WC (can't believe the next one is only next year btw where did that time go?!) they liked to take kick offs, put them deep and force the opposition to put it into touch and then use that first attacking platform to mess the defence up with Tualagi and Vunipola then play a set pattern to get an early try. 

Same this time, excellent kick off by Smith, great exit by Scotland, but from the lineout England hit Simmons who, despite his qualities which could transfer well to test rugby, is not going to punch 5/10 metres into an  organised international defence, and then second phase they don't have quick ball but still try to hit an inside line from Malins but it's too static and he's taken behind the line. Decent setting carry from Sinckler and then a shite kick from Youngs for Duhan to call the mark. Kick back, few ineffectual carries and Price blocks the kick, back to square one for England. Few carries and the M. Fagerson turnover on 30 metres. That was their attack for most of the game, and Smith struggled to adapt despite the points haul. As @Detournement says it was only our poor set piece in the first hour or so that stopped us being more in control of that game and the scoreboard. In contrast, when we got that right we looked very dangerous.  

Jones' changing the personnel to play a different style, while still trying to play a lot of the same tactics. The "hybrid winger" thing is such nonsense too, it's easy to plan plays, like Ireland did with Hansen, which bring a winger with good footballing skills into the midfield, but the way England are doing it is so silly - Malins is your ball-playing back three player, stick either a massive fast lad or a great finisher on the other wing! Jones just seems bored more than anything, the quality of player they have means when he gets it right for a particular game they have a good chance of beating the other big boys but I still don't see the development of a new plan since the WC. 

For the Wales game I hope we can iron out those kinks as, to use football parlance, we are due someone a doing and I think Wales could be it. Our defence is exceptional and I think we are a better set piece away from getting our attack going and putting points on someone. The players Wales have missing are the ones I'd be most worried about disrupting that. I think Ritchie being out, if we bring in another carrier into the back row, could be a benefit for this game. The guys who started against England absolutely deserve their place as established first choices but we have the depth there now to play horses for courses and this is a good opportunity to show that.  

The England performance was very much a Scotland of a few years ago - lots of territory and possession, running some good moves without ever really threatening to score, whereas Scotland were clinical and took all the chances that came our way. The difference for Scotland was that we were more patient than we have been, and there was an improvement in discipline, but still room for improvement.

England's problem seemed to be that they didnt have anyone in midfield that looked capable of either breaking the line or creating space for others

Some of the defensive sets are brilliant to watch (eta. now you don't have the nerves while watching it.) Just after our first try Marchant gets dumped by Graham, Itoje gets dumped by Z.Fagerson and Johnson, Curry gets chucked back by M.Fagerson and Gray, Ritchie isolates Isiekwe with a rip attempt and a great steal from Sutherland for a penalty all in a row. 

10 minutes ago, honestly united said:

The England performance was very much a Scotland of a few years ago - lots of territory and possession, running some good moves without ever really threatening to score, whereas Scotland were clinical and took all the chances that came our way. The difference for Scotland was that we were more patient than we have been, and there was an improvement in discipline, but still room for improvement.

England's problem seemed to be that they didnt have anyone in midfield that looked capable of either breaking the line or creating space for others

Yeah I don't know if I've seen an England team with that few big carriers. No crash ball wing, two pretty ineffectual playmaking centres when your 10 is already so creative, the back row all can carry but they're better with some space, and two athletic 4/6s at lock. Just seen another lineout move end with Slade running headlong into M.Fagerson and Watson. How do they think that is going to end?! Even when Curry makes a couple of metres he's isolated and held up so it's so slow and they just kick to Duhan in space and he gets up to the 22 and they give away another penalty. 

Think Fagerson probably deserved the MoTM, and Darcy was obviously superb, but Price's box kicking was absolutely brilliant, he's so good these days it often goes unnoticed. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

The Squidge video is very good. It focuses on Smith not actually playing great and Finn putting in a masterclass.

Price's left foot clearances to the left touchline are beautiful. I think we could have done a lot better on the contestable ones though. The blueprint from the Lions of setting it up for Duhan to smash the opposing catcher is something I would like to see us employ.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Squidge video is very good. It focuses on Smith not actually playing great and Finn putting in a masterclass.

Price's left foot clearances to the left touchline are beautiful. I think we could have done a lot better on the contestable ones though. The blueprint from the Lions of setting it up for Duhan to smash the opposing catcher is something I would like to see us employ.

Yeah, again I love watching the games back because devoid of pints and worry you see a lot more. In this case it really is a masterclass from Finn. Runs the game plan so well but once he sees something he can exploit he does it ruthlessly, as in the examples Squidge points out. He gives such a good flow to the play when he gets a chance, he's a good defender, he rucks well when he has to, when he has to tidy up he makes a yard or two himself. 

Also on your Ben O'Keefe hate, he gives away a penalty instead of a free kick for "multiple early engagements" to a front row which has just come on, which I dunno probably within the laws but c'mon, and the lineout for their try was the squintest of many squint lineouts thrown that day