Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 12/07/2022 at 09:31, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Where do you stand on the centres at the moment? 

I'd say centre is similar to lock in that there's probably not a huge difference between the leading contenders so i'd go on form, fitness and the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition rather than getting hung up on definite starters. 

Harris is probably the best option at 13 for South Africa and Ireland but Bennett or Huw Jones would be better suited playing Wales, England, Italy, Tonga and probably France. 

If Can Redpath gets fit and plays like a Rolls Royce then great. If he doesn't then Johnson is a good player who plays well with Finn. The main thing is Tuipulto is nowhere near any big games. 

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

I'd say centre is similar to lock in that there's probably not a huge difference between the leading contenders so i'd go on form, fitness and the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition rather than getting hung up on definite starters. 

Harris is probably the best option at 13 for South Africa and Ireland but Bennett or Huw Jones would be better suited playing Wales, England, Italy, Tonga and probably France. 

If Can Redpath gets fit and plays like a Rolls Royce then great. If he doesn't then Johnson is a good player who plays well with Finn. The main thing is Tuipulto is nowhere near any big games. 

We're going to get horsed.

Townsend is obviously impressed by winning without a 10 and is now challenging himself to win without a 10 or 12. Rufus Maclean is miles off the standard required as well. That's the worst backline we have put out in years.

Edited by Detournement

I genuinely have no idea what that team is all about. Surely White and Graham must be injured?

At least the pack still looks relatively strong, which is where the game was won last weekend, but it's mental that every other position is now open to rotation on this tour except 10. I get the whole thing about giving players a chance and seeing what they can do, but most of these guys have had chances. Why can we not just put our best team and hopefully win the series? It's the same fucking about that cost us a chance at beating the Boks in the autumn. Ireland never f**k around like this in these games, they just pick their best team and win.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I genuinely have no idea what that team is all about. Surely White and Graham must be injured?

At least the pack still looks relatively strong, which is where the game was won last weekend, but it's mental that every other position is now open to rotation on this tour except 10. I get the whole thing about giving players a chance and seeing what they can do, but most of these guys have had chances. Why can we not just put our best team and hopefully win the series? It's the same fucking about that cost us a chance at beating the Boks in the autumn. Ireland never f**k around like this in these games, they just pick their best team and win.

Graham is apparently a delayed concussion from the headshot he took early on that the Irish TMO ignored. White is probably out because Townsend thinks Horne needs a run out.

Argentina will target Smith and Maclean from the outset. I will be very surprised if they can cope with it.

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Graham is apparently a delayed concussion from the headshot he took early on that the Irish TMO ignored. White is probably out because Townsend thinks Horne needs a run out.

Argentina will target Smith and Maclean from the outset. I will be very surprised if they can cope with it.

I guess if Townsend refuses to play Kinghorn anywhere other than 10, with Hutchinson, Graham, Huw Jones and Rowe all injured, Hogg, Hoyland and Maitland at home then there isn't really anyone else in the squad, is there? Got to be McLean and Smith.

If Graham, Rowe and Hutchinson are out I'm not sure the other options who are already out there for the back 3. You'd think considering that and missing Russell and Hastings we'd maybe play our best available centre partnership though, rather than playing a guy who most folk would probably have as 5th/6th choice 

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

I guess if Townsend refuses to play Kinghorn anywhere other than 10, with Hutchinson, Graham, Huw Jones and Rowe all injured, Hogg, Hoyland and Maitland at home then there isn't really anyone else in the squad, is there? Got to be McLean and Smith.

Townsend sent Hoyland home despite him having a better season and performance in the A match than Maclean. So that's completely on him.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Townsend sent Hoyland home despite him having a better season and performance in the A match than Maclean. So that's completely on him.

Townsend is always gonna Townsend.  He has his favourites and he has guys he gives one cap to every three years.  

Kinghorn is clearly one of his faves.

McLean is most likely in the second group, along with Ashman and Christie.  Probably Sebastian as well. 

I'd rather have Tuipulotu and Kinghorn on the bench with Johnson and Thompson starting. 

However Kinghorn at 10 hasn't worked at any time. Is Toony scared to start the team that finished well in the 2nd test?? If we lose this then he'll have that question hanging over him imho... 

Screenshot_20220714_140818_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Edited by come on shire

Thinking about it, if it weren't for the stubbornness then surely you punt Kinghorn to 15 or wing, where he's been at his most effective to Scotland, and put Thompson at 10. For all his inexperience if it's like when we were successful last week we'll be playing off 9 most of the time anyway so a relatively low pressure start for him. 

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Thinking about it, if it weren't for the stubbornness then surely you punt Kinghorn to 15 or wing, where he's been at his most effective to Scotland, and put Thompson at 10. For all his inexperience if it's like when we were successful last week we'll be playing off 9 most of the time anyway so a relatively low pressure start for him. 

Thompson only made 3 passes in 27 minutes and I don't think he kicked in open play at all.

Given the turn around in possession/territory from us dominating the first 60 to them having the best of the last 20 I don't think he did any better than BK.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

Thompson only made 3 passes in 27 minutes and I don't think he kicked in open play at all.

Given the turn around in possession/territory from us dominating the first 60 to them having the best of the last 20 I don't think he did any better than BK.

Aye good point, just trying to think how we could have had less of a messy XV but I guess the answer is don't rest key players when you already have others out injured. 

Mallinder rubbishing the Dalziel rumours which is good news for Glasgow and bad for Scotland imo, never been able to maintain consistent standards of intensity or in the set piece for our forwards. Also suggesting an Under-20s Super Six team, which seems weird given one of the benefits of the tournament as a whole was to mix these guys through the teams, but at least they're doing something!

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye good point, just trying to think how we could have had less of a messy XV but I guess the answer is don't rest key players when you already have others out injured. 

Mallinder rubbishing the Dalziel rumours which is good news for Glasgow and bad for Scotland imo, never been able to maintain consistent standards of intensity or in the set piece for our forwards. Also suggesting an Under-20s Super Six team, which seems weird given one of the benefits of the tournament as a whole was to mix these guys through the teams, but at least they're doing something!

The under 20's in the Super 6 is nonsense, as anyone playing outside Scotland wont be available, and anyone playing in Scotland will in all likelyhood be playing for one of the sides already. It'll just weaken the rest of the teams, to give a Scotland u20 b team a few games.