Rugby Union

kiwififer

4 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

If we could improve our discipline by 5% we'd be a really good side. If we had a top level place kicker we'd be an excellent one capable of going really deep at a wc. 

If (and it is a big if) we get out the group we should be going really deep into the competition.

In the end, that was one of the best teams in the world, away, and we took them all the way. Scotland are what they are, we score tries which means we can beat anyone. We make mistakes which stop us beating everyone. Unfortunately if you could hand pick two teams fir Scotland not to play at a world cup you'd pick SA and Ireland, and I think that's where the despondency comes from, because actually, Scotland are pretty fucking good. It is what it is, the world cup will take care of itself. I think we've got a surprise in us, I just hope the players do too.

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

If we could improve our discipline by 5% we'd be a really good side. If we had a top level place kicker we'd be an excellent one capable of going really deep at a wc. 

We do have a top level place kicker. It's Finn who was badly used by Racing 92 despite some weirdos, especially that Denouemeunt character, wildly thinking that he was progressing there.

As a Scotland fan, I’ve lost count of how many times we have thrown away opportunities like this.

Great comeback, and then just when you think we’re going to achieve a great result, a switch gets flicked and we throw it away!

I know this was just a friendly, but this type of outcome becomes a habit; a habit that seems to be passed down through the generations of our national sporting teams.

Edited by dstuart82

Not sure if this is true or not (but given the way the SRU is run it wouldnt suprise me) but it could be years until the U20's are back in the World Cup.

From what I understand, we only had a place in the last World Trophy (winners promoted the World Championship) as we were relegate from the World Championship as we finished last. 

The World Trophy is made up of a set number of teams, 6 from the regional championships (ie Europe, America, Africa etc), the host and the team relegated. It looks like we didnt ask to be included in the European Championship which is in November this year (Spain were due to host but as they won the World Trophy and were promoted have no need to play in the Euro's, so the only chance we currently have of playing in the World Trophy next year is if we host the event which I suppose is possible, however you would have thought giving the team an additional tournament which they would likely win would give the squad a boost ahead of the 6 Nations.

However given its our fault the real junior Euros' collapsed when the 6N's (except France) pulled out as we would have been relegated Im not suprised we werent keen on playing

44 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Not sure if this is true or not (but given the way the SRU is run it wouldnt suprise me) but it could be years until the U20's are back in the World Cup.

From what I understand, we only had a place in the last World Trophy (winners promoted the World Championship) as we were relegate from the World Championship as we finished last. 

The World Trophy is made up of a set number of teams, 6 from the regional championships (ie Europe, America, Africa etc), the host and the team relegated. It looks like we didnt ask to be included in the European Championship which is in November this year (Spain were due to host but as they won the World Trophy and were promoted have no need to play in the Euro's, so the only chance we currently have of playing in the World Trophy next year is if we host the event which I suppose is possible, however you would have thought giving the team an additional tournament which they would likely win would give the squad a boost ahead of the 6 Nations.

However given its our fault the real junior Euros' collapsed when the 6N's (except France) pulled out as we would have been relegated Im not suprised we werent keen on playing

I think it’s for the best that our under 20s play meaningful and competitive fixtures against Hungary rather than conceding 80 to Italy.   

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I think it’s for the best that our under 20s play meaningful and competitive fixtures against Hungary rather than conceding 80 to Italy.   

Unfortunately we would need to sink another level down (at a guess, maybe more) to get a game against Hungary, it would be Czechia as hosts along Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Romania, Poland, and Switzerland