Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Scotland were absolutely fantastic, I dont think I have ever seen such a win against one of the big teams.

With all the players missing as well its safe to say we have now arrived as one of the major nations again, after years of being also rans. Just a pity the world cup is not next year as we would be serious contenders.

Thing is we are probably going to get even better and probably not lose anyone up to the next RWC

Just watched the game in full after a dreadful afternoon at Annan. Brilliant performance, shows real hope for the future. It's been a meteoric rise from being a play off against Italy to not finish bottom of the Six Nations to being genuine challengers next year. We've no one to fear in the Six Nations or the World Cup.

Well that was fun! It was a good game before the red, but that was obviously the turning point. I think the ref got it 100% correct though. If the boy is going to throw himself in like that, when they've got the ball and aren't really under pressure then he gets what he deserves.

Thought we exploited the space well, and the Australian defence was far too passive, especially around Russell. If they did nothing else, they should at least have tried to get in his face and and close him down, but they let him have too much space and we killed them. Lovely stuff.

Watched the full match re-run last night. Did I hear Andy Robinson refer to Scotland as "we" at some point? Thought it was even up until the red - we were maybe shading it but we were actually behind remember - then after that we really exploited the space. They were also missing some of their more influential players who are playing in France or whatever so I'm not getting carried away in a World Cup sense. But we do have a decent chance at at least challenging for the 6 Nations this year, if we can get something from the home England game. If we lose that I think England may do another Grand Slam sadly. I have to admit though that I'd never heard of McGuigan until yesterday. Some great depth we have these days.

I was unsure on MCGuigan as he wasn't great at Glasgow, but put in a performance yesterday.

For me Barclay has been the player of the series, followed closely by most of the rest of the team. I was worried about the front row, and yes they were under pressure at time, but not the beasting I was expecting. Marfo looks solid, Bhatti is really good round the park, McInally has really taken his chance as well.

You would feel bad dropping anyone after that but with the likes of Nel, Dickinson, Dell, R Grey, Laidlaw, Taylor, Bennett etc still to come back in things are looking promising for the 6N's but England and Ireland both looking strong as well.

I was unsure on MCGuigan as he wasn't great at Glasgow, but put in a performance yesterday.
For me Barclay has been the player of the series, followed closely by most of the rest of the team. I was worried about the front row, and yes they were under pressure at time, but not the beasting I was expecting. Marfo looks solid, Bhatti is really good round the park, McInally has really taken his chance as well.
You would feel bad dropping anyone after that but with the likes of Nel, Dickinson, Dell, R Grey, Laidlaw, Taylor, Bennett etc still to come back in things are looking promising for the 6N's but England and Ireland both looking strong as well.

Bhatti did more against Australia than he has done for his club all season. If he was better in the scrum, he’d be a star. Probably best suited to impact sub duties. I’d say McInally is now the best option at hooker, and Marfo could easily become a regular(assuming he gets a game at Edinburgh). Nel makes such a difference to the scrum though.

Price must sure have moved ahead of Laidlaw at scrum half.

Bhatti did more against Australia than he has done for his club all season. If he was better in the scrum, he’d be a star. Probably best suited to impact sub duties. I’d say McInally is now the best option at hooker, and Marfo could easily become a regular(assuming he gets a game at Edinburgh). Nel makes such a difference to the scrum though.

Price must sure have moved ahead of Laidlaw at scrum half.

Price must start the 6N, he's been excellent through the autumn series and his game is much more suited to the way that Townsend wants the team to play. Imo it looks like he has been told by both Rennie and Toony that he is the number 1 pick at scrum half and his confidence has rocketed, and his performances have improved accordingly.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Watched the full match re-run last night. Did I hear Andy Robinson refer to Scotland as "we" at some point? Thought it was even up until the red - we were maybe shading it but we were actually behind remember - then after that we really exploited the space. They were also missing some of their more influential players who are playing in France or whatever so I'm not getting carried away in a World Cup sense. But we do have a decent chance at at least challenging for the 6 Nations this year, if we can get something from the home England game. If we lose that I think England may do another Grand Slam sadly. I have to admit though that I'd never heard of McGuigan until yesterday. Some great depth we have these days.

Andy Robinson regularly refers to Scotland as "we". He's talked in the past about how much he feels at home here after his time with Edinburgh and Scotland.

Good guy - for en ex-England player. :P

They were missing a few players, but so were we. For Folau, read Hogg, for Pocock, read Strauss, etc. They still had a really strong team on show, and we hammered them.

Hideously hungover and my throat is ruined from that yesterday, completely worth it!

Never in a million years thought we'd see such a free flowing Scotland side, never mind putting 50 points past Australia with nearly half the 1st XV out through injury. All the tools are available to have a serious push for the six nations, and usually I'm a pessimistic b*****d about our chances due to so many false dawns.

Special shout out to the boys of the west stand section six, all in fine voice and hip flasks being passed all around!

Scotland were good yesterday. The 1st half had some bonkers bits of play and you could see both teams were trying to play a fast paced game. The red card was obviously a turning point but up until then I thought we'd done quite well. Second half was all about trying to entertain and they certainly did that. We're in a good place right now and the Six Nations will be interesting. France and Italy are both must wins and we should be beating Wales. We're obviously underdogs v Ireland and England but we should really be going at England. They're not that good.

Delightful result for Glasgow, a number of youngsters getting game time and a really comfortable margin.

Eta. Just seen that Hastings got man of the match. Good to see with Finn leaving.

Edited by afca32