Rugby Union

kiwififer

Leinster perhaps out of playoff contention? Assuming they win tomorrow they then have a big game away to Ulster in the next round of fixtures and it's a must win for both teams really. So tight at the top with Munster getting the bonus point win at Edinburgh tonight.

Leinster perhaps out of playoff contention? Assuming they win tomorrow they then have a big game away to Ulster in the next round of fixtures and it's a must win for both teams really. So tight at the top with Munster getting the bonus point win at Edinburgh tonight.

They need to win at Ulster. I'd be happy with that. Glasgow have a run of fixtures which bothers me a bit!

They need to win at Ulster. I'd be happy with that. Glasgow have a run of fixtures which bothers me a bit!

I'd fancy a win away at Connacht for Glasgow, they seem to be out of form during the past few games. Ospreys away will be a tough one, anything from that would be fantastic. Ulster at home always a tough game but I'd always back Glasgow to win at home.

2nd last round of games will go a long way to deciding those positions. Glasgow at Ospreys and Ulster v Munster that weekend.

I kind of think it's now or never for Glasgow as far as winning the pro 12 goes, current squad is at it's peak. Next season will be a write off with a number of players leaving this season and the squad will be decimated during the World Cup and six nations. Those seem to hurt Glasgow more than most given upwards of 10 players will be on Scotland duty. End of next season Hogg, Gray, Nakawara are out of contract and decent showings at the World Cup might see bigger money opportunities in England or France for them so maybe after next season a rebuilding phase for a few seasons.

It's looking like our world cup hopes could be dented even further by injury. As the backs are the only part of the team that are looking good (if they ever get the ball quickly from Laidlaw), we are now struggling for centres. We have 3 international class centres in Dunbar, Bennett and Scott. Dunbar is unlikely to be fit after injuring his anterior cruciate ligament (out for another 5-8 months) and both Scott and Bennett have just undergone shoulder surgery. Hopefully both of them are fit as apart from Horne, I dont think we have any other choices at centre apart from moving Hogg their and playing Maitland at fullback.

Also didn't realise until today that WP Nel qualifies for Scotland prior to the world cup as well as Strauss. Will be interesting to see if both are selected for the squad.

It's looking like our world cup hopes could be dented even further by injury. As the backs are the only part of the team that are looking good (if they ever get the ball quickly from Laidlaw), we are now struggling for centres. We have 3 international class centres in Dunbar, Bennett and Scott. Dunbar is unlikely to be fit after injuring his anterior cruciate ligament (out for another 5-8 months) and both Scott and Bennett have just undergone shoulder surgery. Hopefully both of them are fit as apart from Horne, I dont think we have any other choices at centre apart from moving Hogg their and playing Maitland at fullback.

Also didn't realise until today that WP Nel qualifies for Scotland prior to the world cup as well as Strauss. Will be interesting to see if both are selected for the squad.

Lamont would probably be outside centre in that scenario.

I'm about to become all that I despise about Tartan Army forum posters, but I'm not entirely comfortable with Nel and Strauss being capped. I'm totally OK with the kilted Kiwis on grandparent links.

I'm never much of a rugby spectator, but heading to Heriots v Barbarians this evening. (Kick-off 6pm at Goldenacre and still pay at the gate if any P&Ber in Edinburgh has the urge).

Unsurprisingly not the strongest of Barbarians XVs given the time of year and opposition but a few recognisable names including Bruce Douglas, Gordon Ross, Scott Macleod and Grayson Hart, Ali Price, Chris Jones the former England cap, and Cornell du Preeze. Also the usual smattering of second-rank internationals from the likes of Fiji, Argentina, USA, Canada and Namibia.

I saw the Baa Baas play the South of Scotland at Hawick back in the autumn of 2011, and it was a decent tie. Barbarians all over them in the first half but didn't establish enough of a lead, somehow the South's play turned to gold in the second half and they won 22-15.

Fingers-crossed for a decent game.

Australia easing rules for Wallaby selection and will now consider overseas based players. They will have to have played at least 60 times for the Wallabies and have held an ARU contract for at least 7 years. This could see Matt Giteau, George Smith and Drew Mitchell to be selected plus 4 or 56 others looking to head overseas after this season.

Australia easing rules for Wallaby selection and will now consider overseas based players. They will have to have played at least 60 times for the Wallabies and have held an ARU contract for at least 7 years. This could see Matt Giteau, George Smith and Drew Mitchell to be selected plus 4 or 56 others looking to head overseas after this season.

I don't understand the 60 cap limit. Is someone on 25 caps went over to Gloucester et al after 7 odd years in the Super 14, and started being in the form of their life you couldn't pick him?

The 7 year limit is fair enough. Keeps young talent in your country, but lets them get a pay day at the end. Better option than England have.

I don't understand the 60 cap limit. Is someone on 25 caps went over to Gloucester et al after 7 odd years in the Super 14, and started being in the form of their life you couldn't pick him?

The 7 year limit is fair enough. Keeps young talent in your country, but lets them get a pay day at the end. Better option than England have.

Yep the 60 cap thing crazy as it sounds is supposedly the new rules. Better than the previous rules where xenophobia applied. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-22/new-wallabies-eligibility-rules-open-the-door-for-overseas-star/6413810?section=sport