Rugby Union

kiwififer

Division 1: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cheetahs, Kings, Any other Saffas

Division 2: Treviso, Zebre, Connacht, Scarlets

Division 3: Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Cardiff, Ospreys

Division 4: Dragons

No promotion or relegation for the first 10 seasons.

In the next few seasons the SA Super Rugby sides are rumoured to be joining the Pro14. Starting with the Natal Sharks I believe. The Jo'burg Lions are also rumoured. This is on top of rumours of North American and European sides. We really need to think about one league but with promotion and relegation now...

I’d stick with the conference system, just expand it and have the top four in each qualify for the play offs. If we have two more South African sides then we have two conferences of 8. Only playing teams in your own conference twice plus a historical derby home and away so we’d play Edinburgh twice, Cardiff v whoever’s in the other conference etc to make up some game numbers. Then your quarters, semis and grand final.

Players can have greater rest between games or off weeks during the six nations. It would benefit the teams playing in Europe also.

Scotland squad for summer tour announced,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44037250

Sensibly a lot of senior players who have been ever present the last few years given the summer off to be fresh for the world cup. Russell, J Gray, Laidlaw, Barclay and Wilson rested as nailed on for WC squad, and add in Hardie, Watson, Jones and Nel  missing through injury, this suprising thing is that you look at the squad, and apart from some of the new additions only really Harris, and maybe McGuigan that you would question if they were good enough to be in a Scotland squad. Really good strength in depth at the moment, and will be interesting to see how some of the youngsters get on.

Reid, Welsh, Ford, Du Preez, Harley and Strauss not being picked you would think that is it for them in Scotland shirt

Scotland squad

Forwards: Simon Berghan, Jamie Bhatti, Magnus Bradbury, Fraser Brown, Lewis Carmichael, Allan Dell, David Denton, Matt Fagerson, Zander Fagerson, Grant Gilchrist, Richie Gray, Luke Hamilton, Murray McCallum, Stuart McInally (c), Jamie Ritchie, Tim Swinson, George Turner, Ben Toolis

Backs: Nick Grigg, Chris Harris, Adam Hastings, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Alex Dunbar, Stuart Hogg, George Horne, Pete Horne, Ruaridh Jackson, Lee Jones, Blair Kinghorn, James Lang, Byron McGuigan, Ali Price, Duncan Taylor

Unavailable through injury: Luke Crosbie (knee), John Hardie (back), Huw Jones (wrist surgery scheduled), Willem Nel (knee assessment/rehabilitation), Hamish Watson (shoulder)

I think it's a good squad. There is every chance we will lose a game or two with these guys, but we have to get them in at some point and see what they are about. We should know who is going to cut it after this, and see what life looks like without Finn Russell. I also think Harris and McGuigon are worth another shot before they are written off.

Going by this squad I'm guessing Maitland and Seymour are nailed on for the WC as well.

I really don't understand Townsend's intermittent use of Du Preez, or his lack of use of Strauss.  I would have thought they'd be precisely the kind of players who would benefit from this tour.  Seems like that's that for them.   

Otherwise, no Daryll Mafro is surprising, and pretty much everyone on the edges of breaking through.  There could be quite a cull after this tour.  Talk about sink or swim.  

22 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

I’d stick with the conference system, just expand it and have the top four in each qualify for the play offs. If we have two more South African sides then we have two conferences of 8. Only playing teams in your own conference twice plus a historical derby home and away so we’d play Edinburgh twice, Cardiff v whoever’s in the other conference etc to make up some game numbers. Then your quarters, semis and grand final.

Players can have greater rest between games or off weeks during the six nations. It would benefit the teams playing in Europe also.

Sound points and too many derbies can get boring but still barely farting space when you throw in Europe on top of the internationals. Then again, fewer international test matches may be an option. E.g. the Wales away game in the autumn to raise funds for MND is a great idea and cause but hopefully it'll be a fringe team with the main players rested for the home games.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

I think it's a good squad. There is every chance we will lose a game or two with these guys, but we have to get them in at some point and see what they are about. We should know who is going to cut it after this, and see what life looks like without Finn Russell. I also think Harris and McGuigon are worth another shot before they are written off.

Going by this squad I'm guessing Maitland and Seymour are nailed on for the WC as well.

Hadn't noticed those 2 missing, Seymour definitely needs the rest as he has looked really out of sorts this season

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I really don't understand Townsend's intermittent use of Du Preez, or his lack of use of Strauss.  I would have thought they'd be precisely the kind of players who would benefit from this tour.  Seems like that's that for them.   

Otherwise, no Daryll Mafro is surprising, and pretty much everyone on the edges of breaking through.  There could be quite a cull after this tour.  Talk about sink or swim.  

Surprised that Marfo missing out, unless he is another thats going under the knife.

Overall I'm happy with the summer squad but a few question marks and talking points.

Great to see your J. Gray, Finn, Tommy etc rested after a tough season and, unless it's a 3 test tour vs same opposition, summer games are more experimental. Harris and McGuigan have been fleeting so Toony offers them another chance I suppose so hopefully they take it.

Ali's getting a bit of stick for recent displays but knows he's competing with a 9 from a revived Edinburgh team and Glasgow's other 9 who got Young AND POTY. So he needs to perform. 

Seeing what Adam Hastings can do is massively important too. We need competition for Finn Russell. It's not just that Pete Horne is more of a centre, but to improve performance consistency at 10.

On paper, the hardest game SHOULD be Argentina, but DTH is Canada's top try scorer but having Glasgow players in the Scotland team should offer tactics.

Elsewhere, SA and Oz are in a bit of a soap opera atm but traditionally strong at home. However, Ireland have just won a grand slam and Eddie Jones will want to get his ego back on track respectively, so 6 tasty test matches there.

The French are honking away from home traditionally so why they've booked 3 tests away to NZ is a riddle...

5 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I don't think Darryl Marfo has played since December/January due to a back injury and it is reported that Strauss and Townsend don't get along 

interesting article with Toonie on the BBC, talking about getting youngesters tied into Scotland earlier.

Hadn't realised Brian Redpath had let his son play for England at age grades, would be good to get him in Blue.

Also notice Tom Heathcote has been released by Worcester, had injury problems but not sure if he would be worth a punt at Glasgow

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

interesting article with Toonie on the BBC, talking about getting youngesters tied into Scotland earlier.

Hadn't realised Brian Redpath had let his son play for England at age grades, would be good to get him in Blue.

Also notice Tom Heathcote has been released by Worcester, had injury problems but not sure if he would be worth a punt at Glasgow

I'd be surprised if any top level team takes a punt given he's been released due to persistent head injuries.