What Are You Drinking ?

Having a glass of ‘Wine Route’ Chardonnay with dinner.  It’s part of the Tesco meal deal and worth the £7 cover price when bought alone.
Of course buying it with the meal deal means getting the food (a main, side and dessert) for £3.  Excellent value.

Is there a sign at the wine aisle that tells you what wines are in the meal deal offer GD ?

Yes, it’s pretty limited but the Chardonnay is very good; can’t speak for the rest.

I haven’t tried the Chardonnay but the reds on offer (a Merlot and a Shiraz) aren’t great. I quite often take the soft drink option instead. Either way the meal deal is good value IMHO.

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I haven’t tried the Chardonnay but the reds on offer (a Merlot and a Shiraz) aren’t great. I quite often take the soft drink option instead. Either way the meal deal is good value IMHO.

Whilst I prefer red to white I’ve never tried the reds in the deal; I’m more particular about the reds I drink.

29 minutes ago, Ylf said:

draught > cans > bottles for me

I did the Drygate Brewery tour in February and the guide told us how cans have come on leaps and bounds in recent years. They are now coated to avoid metallic contamination and are better than bottles because they don't allow light to affect the quality of the beer.

37 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Been to Tesco? The Isla Negra range are good and splendid value. Reds too. I used to order them when Tesco delivered Wine By The Case.

Just got into wine due to lockdown and only red , gonna try a white and see how it goes . And yes been to Tesco .

Been to Tesco? The Isla Negra range are good and splendid value. Reds too. I used to order them when Tesco delivered Wine By The Case.

Aye Tesco do some very decent good value wines.

Tonight’s choices are both from the Wine Society. From memory the Chilean Pinot Noir is £8.50 and the Greek Red £11. The Greek one is excellent.

IMG_2535.thumb.jpg.fdad6e4ce1537d286a94c34318113188.jpg

30 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye Tesco do some very decent good value wines.

Tonight’s choices are both from the Wine Society. From memory the Chilean Pinot Noir is £8.50 and the Greek Red £11. The Greek one is excellent.

IMG_2535.thumb.jpg.fdad6e4ce1537d286a94c34318113188.jpg

What's the reason some are screw tops and some corks ? Is it quality ?

2 minutes ago, taurus said:

Definitely not, in my opinion, although I'm not a wine expert. It possibly was 30yrs ago but most mass market wines, including high quality produce, is screwtop now. Much more practical, let's face it.

12 minutes ago, taurus said:

Most Spanish wine is still corked, by law to protect the cork industry I think, but even they talk about the perception of quality rather than actual quality. I don't think it makes any difference, it's just a pain in the arse if you don't notice when you buy it and haven't got a a cork screw.

56 minutes ago, taurus said:

51 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Definitely not, in my opinion, although I'm not a wine expert. It possibly was 30yrs ago but most mass market wines, including high quality produce, is screwtop now. Much more practical, let's face it.

Bold Rover does have a point, however the best wines I have ever tasted always had corks.

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most Spanish wine is still corked, by law to protect the cork industry I think, but even they talk about the perception of quality rather than actual quality. I don't think it makes any difference, it's just a pain in the arse if you don't notice when you buy it and haven't got a a cork screw.

I buy a lot of Spanish wine, mostly reds - Rioja, Carinena, others - from the mass market delivering companies. It's nearly always screwtop. And excellent, quality and value.

1 minute ago, Bold Rover said:

I buy a lot of Spanish wine, mostly reds - Rioja, Carinena, others - from the mass market delivering companies. It's nearly always screwtop. And excellent, quality and value.

Maybe different rules for export, in Spanish supermarkets it's nearly all corked. Have had it delivered from Spain before by https://www.vinissimus.co.uk/en/ , some good bargains btw even after delivery costs, and it's all been corked.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Maybe different rules for export, in Spanish supermarkets it's nearly all corked. Have had it delivered from Spain before by https://www.vinissimus.co.uk/en/ , some good bargains btw even after delivery costs, and it's all been corked.

Seems to be a mixed message regarding corks and screw tops , I haven't noticed a difference in taste and quality between them .