Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

I had a friend over from The Netherlands last week who also likes to go to different football grounds. We've gone to:
Scotland Women 0-1 Netherlands Women
Hearts 1-0 Livingston
Culter 0-2 Lochee United
Dundee 1-0 Livingston

As only the games at Tynecastle and Dens can be classed as "random" for me, I'll focus on those. Both games were remarkably similar. Livingston created little and seemed to come for a 0-0. The hosts eventually scored in the second half. Hearts didn't give anything away after that and carried the deserved 1-0 over the line. Dundee were under more pressure after their goal, but they also managed to hold on and got a deserved win.

image.thumb.jpeg.476fce171bcf1fa5db2924d69f99d2ec.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.123f9adfe7c42a178110c9a1413c943c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.064d67f0daf76ed7c42b2ccecd637229.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c1f6fc9999c9c38e1594dee173e075d3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb5acd03af9bf8481459b883c0d99e06.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cb2b2629f5eef9c6fddd2158995711bd.jpeg

Been a very long time since I've been on here, but I did always like this thread.

Ouakam 0-0 Tengueth: Ligue 1 Senegal.

Game was pretty even in the first half but the home side by far the stronger in the second, which I didn't expect as the newly promoted team up against the cup holders.

Fans were quite passionate, but the game didn't give them much to be excited about. It says a lot that I learnt the Wolof for "cross" but not "shoot". Home side hit a terrible penalty and skied the rebound in the 87th minute. Ended Ouakam 0-0 Teungueth. 

It was hard to tell the quality as the pitch was so bad. The ball was bobbling everywhere but it was the varying length of grass which bemused me. There was a decent sized patch of long grass level with the box on the left wing which Ouakam used to their advantage by pinging long balls into it, knowing their pacy midfielder would be able to get there first and not worrying about the ball running out of play due to the long grass.
There were times it seemed like League 1 in terms of quality, but then there were bits of skill which were Premiership level. I expect anyone in this league with something about them quickly makes their way to Europe.

Only four advertising boards in the whole place despite a pretty large attendance. Senegalese football has a long way to develop.

Worth noting the beautiful view of Dakar skyline from the one stand in the stadium. The stadium itself was like asking AI to come up with a Sahelian cross between Netherdale and the old Meadowbank.

There were a decent number of police, but mainly outside the stadium, no searches. The refereeing team were shielded at half time by riot police which seemed procedural as there was nothing controversial in the game. Fans from both teams mixed at half time without any issue.

It cost 2,000CFA (~£3?) and that would have been good value for money just to hear the music, to be honest. Both teams had a band who did two 45min sets. Amazing percussion section. When they played the hits fans ran down to their section to join in and dance.

Hopefully get to a game in Mauritania this weekend.

IMG_20231107_135002.jpg

IMG_20231107_174443.jpg

Edited by DiegoDiego

Preston Athletic 0-7 Camelon 

East First Division action at Pennypit Park in Prestonpans with a pish Preston are pumped by perfect play from Camelon.

It's another ground next to a rugby pitch and we're having flashbacks to the Peebles debacle but this is grand. It used to be the 5th tier and you can tell. Bench seating, flood lights and a pie hit better stocked than some Village shops. 

Payed £10 entry rather than the requisite 7 to get a discounted pie and drink. Designed for alcohol but still worth doing for tea and juice. Pie a solid 7.5 out of 10 too.

It took a while to get going but the Mariners dominated this. Steve Thicot who I am told stunk out League One last season was brilliant in Camelon's midfield today. Unfortunately for Preston four of Camelon's goals came from rebounds, not the goalkeeper's best day. 

Comfortable win for Camelon that keeps them well in touch at the top. Based on this performance Preston will be glad that Oakley and Vale of Leithan means there's only one relegation spot to avoid rather than three.

20231111_150212.jpg

20231111_154714.jpg

20231111_155825.jpg

20231111_141359.jpg

King Lynn Town 0-1 Spennymoor Town

Att 818

Not much between the two sides. One moment of particularly poor defending afforded Spennymoor a goal. 

This Lynn side a shadow of the team that pushed for promotion last season. Quite the turnaround with management and players sees them lacking quality compared to last year. And it shows. 

Hibs 1 killie 0. Got a freebie, and was expecting just a normal ticket, but nope, executive seats and players lounge access. Free scran before,  and free pies at half time. Att 16,250. Not a great spectacle, but was settled by a josh Campbell strike in the 1st half.

20231111_155342.jpg

20231111_145206.jpg

20231111_145126.jpg

Derby County 3-0 Barnsley at Pride Park in EFL League One. 

Spending the weekend with family in the Midlands, so naturally taking the opportunity to tick off a couple more grounds. First up, I eschewed a more glamorous fixture at Molineux for this, admittedly much cheaper third-tier fare.

It was an even game until Derby converted a soft-looking penalty, and then the home side were comfortable. It was better quality than what I took in at Brunton Park a few weeks back in the same league, but when I saw Wolves' stoppage-time antics I did wonder if my penny-pinching had come back to bite me.

I thought Derby centre-back Eiran Cashin was the most eye-catching player on the park; a young but old-school central defender who can maybe play a bit. He reminded me slightly of Scott McKenna when he was establishing himself at Pittodrie. 

Former Scotland international Craig Forsyth amongst the goalscorers for the home side.

image.thumb.png.74c182f2477e7d5e60c25eecddcfcb01.png

7 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Preston Athletic 0-7 Camelon 

East First Division action at Pennypit Park in Prestonpans with a pish Preston are pumped by perfect play from Camelon.

It's another ground next to a rugby pitch and we're having flashbacks to the Peebles debacle but this is grand. It used to be the 5th tier and you can tell. Bench seating, flood lights and a pie hit better stocked than some Village shops. 

Payed £10 entry rather than the requisite 7 to get a discounted pie and drink. Designed for alcohol but still worth doing for tea and juice. Pie a solid 7.5 out of 10 too.

It took a while to get going but the Mariners dominated this. Steve Thicot who I am told stunk out League One last season was brilliant in Camelon's midfield today. Unfortunately for Preston four of Camelon's goals came from rebounds, not the goalkeeper's best day. 

Comfortable win for Camelon that keeps them well in touch at the top. Based on this performance Preston will be glad that Oakley and Vale of Leithan means there's only one relegation spot to avoid rather than three.

20231111_150212.jpg

20231111_154714.jpg

20231111_155825.jpg

20231111_141359.jpg

The Pennypit Stand used to have bucket seats in it but perhaps they got fed up with neds breaking them. 

The Prestonpans Goth is worth a visit for a pint if anyone is thinking of going to Pennypit. 

Club Brugge 0-0 Cercle Brugge 

Have the full week off work for going to Georgia so decided rather than wasting a few days in the house I’d head somewhere for a night or two. Quite fortunate that Belgium was the cheapest option - a new country for me watching football and a good selection of games. 

Despite there being no goals, it was a pretty entertaining game with a couple of really good players on both sides. I’ll highlight Gboho of Cercle purely on the basis I’ve never heard of him before. Terrific atmosphere and the Jan Breydelstadion has a certain charm to it, even though it’s quite dated and run down. Topper of a seat I got though. 

E06E8424-8A9D-4E75-8CB7-FDFF11237EA5.jpeg

2D562DB2-576A-4456-A70E-1852CB952EF2.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Club Brugge 0-0 Cercle Brugge 

Have the full week off work for going to Georgia so decided rather than wasting a few days in the house I’d head somewhere for a night or two. Quite fortunate that Belgium was the cheapest option - a new country for me watching football and a good selection of games. 

Despite there being no goals, it was a pretty entertaining game with a couple of really good players on both sides. I’ll highlight Gboho of Cercle purely on the basis I’ve never heard of him before. Terrific atmosphere and the Jan Breydelstadion has a certain charm to it, even though it’s quite dated and run down. Topper of a seat I got though. 

E06E8424-8A9D-4E75-8CB7-FDFF11237EA5.jpeg

2D562DB2-576A-4456-A70E-1852CB952EF2.jpeg

How did you get tickets? I've tried for Club Brugge a few years back and it was membership only to get tickets. 

As I was working this weekend, I decided to head across the bridges and take in the Dunfermline Athletic V Dundee United game at East End Park. Ticket was £23 for the main stand and programme £3. Thought it was a decent game from the start despite the lack of clear cut chances. Both teams were ambitious in trying to get forward and score. Bit it was the visitors who took the lead on 37 minutes when Middleton sent in a cross to Grimshaw who's shot was saved, but it fell to Fotheringham who headed home. 

The second half though was excellent as both teams opened up a bit and Dunfermline equalised while on top. Moffat had tge ball played to him on the half way line as the Arabs defence opened up like the red sea as he had the whole of the half to run in on goal as he slotted the ball past Mehmet. The game was stretched at this point as Dunfermline looked to take the lead, but several substitutions worked better for the visitors as they took controland on 85 minutes they took the lead when ex Par Mochrie found space in the penalty area, turned and fired home in front of the large travelling support. Dunfermline had a chance to equalise on 90 minutes but a free kick when over the bar. I missed the 5 minutes injury time as I had to rush back to the station. But United held out for the 3 points. A superb crowd of 7237, which included about 2500 United fans. 

20231110_194606.jpg

20231110_195517.jpg

20231110_195604.jpg

5 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

As I was working this weekend, I decided to head across the bridges and take in the Dunfermline Athletic V Dundee United game at East End Park. Ticket was £23 for the main stand and programme £3. Thought it was a decent game from the start despite the lack of clear cut chances. Both teams were ambitious in trying to get forward and score. Bit it was the visitors who took the lead on 37 minutes when Middleton sent in a cross to Grimshaw who's shot was saved, but it fell to Fotheringham who headed home. 

The second half though was excellent as both teams opened up a bit and Dunfermline equalised while on top. Moffat had tge ball played to him on the half way line as the Arabs defence opened up like the red sea as he had the whole of the half to run in on goal as he slotted the ball past Mehmet. The game was stretched at this point as Dunfermline looked to take the lead, but several substitutions worked better for the visitors as they took controland on 85 minutes they took the lead when ex Par Mochrie found space in the penalty area, turned and fired home in front of the large travelling support. Dunfermline had a chance to equalise on 90 minutes but a free kick when over the bar. I missed the 5 minutes injury time as I had to rush back to the station. But United held out for the 3 points. A superb crowd of 7237, which included about 2500 United fans. 

20231110_194606.jpg

20231110_195517.jpg

20231110_195604.jpg

Mehmet? The dunfermline goalkeeper who wasn’t even on the pitch at that time having been subbed for concussion?

anyway nice to see a neutral view

1 hour ago, atfccfc said:

How did you get tickets? I've tried for Club Brugge a few years back and it was membership only to get tickets. 

I think there must be a free one - or I just got lucky and the demand is less now, but I didn’t spend anything on membership - though I do have a Club ID number now. Slight downside is trying to buy anything inside the stadium - you need a membership/prepaid card. Probably fairly easy to sort out once you’re there (just been to Gent and it was €1 for the card and however much you want on it), but my train was delayed so I arrived after kick off and didn’t have time to explore. Thoroughly recommend it though - think I’ll be going back to Brugge at some point as the city looked beautiful. 

Edited by PSJ.84

Gent 1-1 Anderlecht 

Really enjoyed this. Quite a few big names in the Anderlecht line up, whilst Gent were exciting to watch on the break. The hosts opened the lead - deservedly - but Anderlecht equalised on the stroke of half time with a Kasper Dolberg (mind him) penalty. I would love to explain why the penalty was given but I went away to get a beer. 

Don’t tend to like these new bowl stadiums but I’d make an exception for this. The location is the downside, although it seems the Belgian way to get in as early as possible and drink in the stadium. Their money goes to the club. It’ll never catch on…4112779B-D320-44DD-BBD3-BFAE70A2E620.thumb.jpeg.4e4a98bce1a3f32bb42fb13b09db2e89.jpeg4E781CB8-60AF-41D6-A8AC-714171D1086A.thumb.jpeg.1c5fe3bbb6f9db07e6bdc9fbc73eaf05.jpegDE3E20F9-970D-4661-80B5-6882A05C80F8.thumb.jpeg.6a2a511877e62cc3e8be00fa35f1a76f.jpeg

Aston Villa 3-1 Fulham at Villa Park in the Premier League. 

My second Midlands-based game of the weekend.

Aston Villa were good without ever really needing to put their foot on the accelerator; Fulham were disjointed and stodgy. The first-half was comfortable for Villa and they emphasised their superiority through two goals without response, and had a penalty overturned by VAR before that. Fulham improved a bit after half-time with Villa more content to play in transition, but they never seriously threatened to turn the game around.

There were some strong individual Villa performances, most notably John McGinn who was typically omnipresent and a constant thorn in Fulham's side. There were some really poor Fulham performances, though, with Antonee Robinson standing out to my untrained eye as particularly suspect at left-back.

image.png.4dab734cca2e4a2c873c9c4fb608a0ff.png

image.png.4396c691523653622a2a8462ae0d9991.png

image.png.cb141220d2a3f2419223f34f0d821e1a.png

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I think there must be a free one - or I just got lucky and the demand is less now, but I didn’t spend anything on membership - though I do have a Club ID number now. Slight downside is trying to buy anything inside the stadium - you need a membership/prepaid card. Probably fairly easy to sort out once you’re there (just been to Gent and it was €1 for the card and however much you want on it), but my train was delayed so I arrived after kick off and didn’t have time to explore. Thoroughly recommend it though - think I’ll be going back to Brugge at some point as the city looked beautiful. 

My experience of the bigger clubs in Belgium is that they relax the rules on getting tickets when the teams aren’t performing. When I was over there it was easy to get tickets for Club Brugge but difficult to get them for Anderlecht and Standard without a membership. 

Gent is infinitely better than Brugge as a city. 

Edited by An Eejit Abroad

8 hours ago, An Eejit Abroad said:

My experience of the bigger clubs in Belgium is that they relax the rules on getting tickets when the teams aren’t performing. When I was over there it was easy to get tickets for Club Brugge but difficult to get them for Anderlecht and Standard without a membership. 

Gent is infinitely better than Brugge as a city. 

Ah, that might be the case. Had no trouble whatsoever getting tickets for either game. 

Bit disappointed it was only an in and out trip for me as I’d have liked to see a bit more of both cities. Difficult to have too much of an opinion based on what I saw from bus/train windows!