Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

35 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Brilliant! I was going to suggest Penicuik for your list but it’s sub 200m.

Muirkirk ground is at exactly 220m!

There's a few bubbling under, like Penicuik - also Arniston Rangers, Stoneyburn and West Calder, in the west there's East Kilbride at 175m, and in the north there's Dufftown. Craigmark Burntonians are pretty high too. I can't think of any others over 200m though.

Not exactly Bolivia, but this far north a few hundred feet makes a big difference.

Hellenic League : Brimscombe & Thrupp (near Stroud, amalgamation 2 clubs) v Tuffley Rovers (Gloucester) Glad just to get a game amid the floods, result 1-5 att 100+. The visitors controlled the game, some good finishes, and could have been more. Nice friendly clubhouse, ground improving all the time.20231230_164335.thumb.jpg.cb24ec98d242a9c1283b16fed2aa9463.jpg20231230_164335.thumb.jpg.cb24ec98d242a9c1283b16fed2aa9463.jpg20231230_164335.thumb.jpg.cb24ec98d242a9c1283b16fed2aa9463.jpg20231230_1845432.thumb.jpg.821f726148c864723f01ea4dd1477622.jpg

20231230_165851.jpg

On 29/12/2023 at 19:29, atfccfc said:

Got to Newtown Park at 6.45 for the Bo'ness Athletic V Armadale Thistle game only for the referee to call it off at 6.55 for a slippy pitch! So no Random football for me this month 😡

20231229_184922.jpg

I saw a boy with a Bo'ness Ath coat on at Dunipace v Camelon last night and that was the first sign that Newtown Park was off. 

Despite it being bloody cauld there was a credible 500+ at Dunipace (which made me miss the first goal as I was in the queue to get in!). Photos to follow... 

Late call off at Glebe Park (Brechin City v Banks O'Dee) as ref didn't fancy it, so headed to Station Park for Forfar Athletic v East Fife. Reasonably enjoyable match despite the weather and 0-0 scoreline. Questionable red card for Skelly (Forfar) at 37 minutes - didn't see the incident properly - but East Fife were unable to take advantage. Forfar had the better chances both before and after the red card (including a shot off the post, an indirect free kick in the box after a handled passback, and a goal disallowed for offside), although East Fife also had some scoring opportunities. 

20231230_222907.jpg

20231230_222927.jpg

20231230_222952.jpg

Festive frolic ends back at Twerton Park for Bath City 0 Chippenham 0 att 2495. £16 prog £3 .Dismal 1st half, the hosts having the better chances in the 2nd, but always open to the counter attack. Just one point, possession football isn't the only way to play ! Even at this level, find it damn boring. 20240101_1800332.thumb.jpg.76906828b3ebc14fcf3d57faba5809bc.jpg

20240101_143342.jpg

20240101_145326.jpg

Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Cardiff City
Att: 16,849

Flights home direct from Scotland were extortionate which gave me the opportunity to get to my first game of 2024 and tick off my sixth ground in London.

A lovely old ground. Absolutely no leg room though which made for a less than comfortable watch. Poor atmosphere for the most part although Cardiff had brought a big away support. A boy down the front of my section had a sombrero, horn and old rattle which amusingly seemed to wind up the Cardiff fans.

Lyndon Dykes was the single most obvious Scottish football link in this game as Rangers legend Aaron Ramsey was missing for Cardiff. A pretty poor standard overall and QPR are unsurprisingly looking like relegation candidates.

IMG_6772.thumb.jpeg.7d4cb9a3a427f165363d575393589e3a.jpeg

Edited by An Eejit Abroad

18 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

For anyone interested.

Screenshot_20240101_005919.jpg

impressive. I've added mine. Impressed that I averaged over 3 goals a game despite not going to many games particularly high scoring. Had a very steady 3 to 5 goals a game all season and only two 0-0s.

Screenshot_20231229_194218.jpg

Troon 0-2 Hurlford Utd, WoSFL Premier, 29/12/23

First trip to Troon for me, and a decent enough game with probably the right result. Hurlford United looked the better side and took the points with a goal in each half. There was a long stoppage in the second half for a serious-looking injury to a Troon player. Aside from obviously hoping the lad is ok, this was an issue as it was becoming very fucking cold as the evening progressed.

Extra points for the proximity of the trains passing by up the touchline; an excellent feature of any football ground.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Workington AFC 2-2 Bamber Bridge, Northern Premier League Premier Division, 01/01/24

A right good game on my first trip to Workington. Got to be honest, the town itself is a shitehole. We had a good walk around and nipped into a local boozer before the game. Friendly enough folk, but I don't think I'll be rushing back to the town itself.

The ground was good, and the magnificent feature of a house front door in the gents' toilets was excellent. Photographic evidence provided below.

A really good game, too. Workington led at half time, but by the break the vistors had been coming more into the game. Both sides played some good stuff.

Workington went 2-0 up in the second half with a swervy free-kick that was well hit, but I'd like to see it again to see if the keeper could have done more.

However, Bamber Bridge then got back into it with a penalty, before equalising after a complete shambles at the back for Workington. The Bamber Bridge keeper had made a big save at 2-1, making up for any culpability for the second goal. We were then treated to a good end-to-end finish where either side could have won it, but a draw was probably fair. Great stuff.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

6 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Workington AFC 2-2 Bamber Bridge, Northern Premier League Premier Division, 01/01/24

A right good game on my first trip to Workington. Got to be honest, the town itself is a shitehole. We had a good walk around and nipped into a local boozer before the game. Friendly enough folk, but I don't think I'll be rushing back to the town itself.

The ground was good, and the magnificent feature of a house front door in the gents' toilets was excellent. Photographic evidence provided below.

A really good game, too. Workington led at half time, but by the break the vistors had been coming more into the game. Both sides played some good stuff.

Workington went 2-0 up in the second half with a swervy free-kick that was well hit, but I'd like to see it again to see if the keeper could have done more.

However, Bamber Bridge then got back into it with a penalty, before equalising after a complete shambles at the back for Workington. We were then treated to a good end-to-end finish where either side could have won it, but a draw was probably fair. Great stuff.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

were you one of the Jambos saluting Granny Danger (not that one) before the game.. :lol:

work4.thumb.jpg.bb21f6c6c9c1fbd110ec78324e2c35b7.jpg

so if you take Albion Rovers' condemned shed, Montrose's shed and Dundonald Bluebell's stand then you get Borough Park. I rather liked the place so I might be back... 

work1.thumb.jpg.8ba55ae2c05736d5e9f2b92ffe6e29be.jpg

work2.thumb.jpg.45782ad3553d84ad532ee7afd7329d46.jpg

work3.thumb.jpg.94d666e4dfe915c8eb9e43d5f1735bbe.jpg

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

were you one of the Jambos saluting Granny Danger (not that one) before the game.. :lol:

work4.thumb.jpg.bb21f6c6c9c1fbd110ec78324e2c35b7.jpg

so if you take Albion Rovers' condemned shed, Montrose's shed and Dundonald Bluebell's stand then you get Borough Park. I rather liked the place so I might be back... 

work1.thumb.jpg.8ba55ae2c05736d5e9f2b92ffe6e29be.jpg

work2.thumb.jpg.45782ad3553d84ad532ee7afd7329d46.jpg

work3.thumb.jpg.94d666e4dfe915c8eb9e43d5f1735bbe.jpg

We saw them, but we weren't with them.

Frankly, we're much younger and I'm offended at the very suggestion. Both guilty of Hearts tendencies, however.

Greenock Morton 3 Ayr United 0. My first visit to Cappielow since 1996. 

Had a wee trip over to Rothesay beforehand, all of which made for a significantly better Tuesday than was enjoyed by my colleagues in our English offices who returned to work yesterday.

IMG_9691.jpeg

IMG_9697.jpeg

IMG_9700.jpeg

Lugar Boswell Thistle 3-1 East Kilbride Thistle 

The original plan was Arniston Rangers but a colder than expected night meant several postponements in the East so a quick browse of the fixtures brought us to the highly recommended Rosebank Park for Lugar v EK Thistle. 

I'm not quite sure how this game passed an inspection. The bits infront of the clubhouse still looked frozen solid. However, major credit to Lugar that their spikey roller seems to have done the pitch and we went ahead. 

EK had the best of the first half and took a deserved lead into the break after a not particularly inspiring first 45. We moved round into the sun for the second half as it was getting a bit chilly and the game took a turn for the bizarre turn towards the end of the game. EK were given a freekick after an advantage was played and the next we see two East Kilbride players have been sent off. I assume they called the referee a bounder but I'm not sure. Following this Lugar receive a penalty that is usually kept the home team at Ibrox. The equaliser comes after an initial save after which another EK player is dismissed. A brilliant 2nd goal comes for Lugar quickly followed by a third after which the referee sends off East Kilbride's goalkeeper. An outfield player then goes in goals and 2 minutes later the sub keeper comes on and goes in goals. Finishes 11 v 7. Not sure if EK lost discipline or the ref lost control. Probably a mixture of both.

Reminder that the refs are on their own in the 10th tier and have a challenging job. However, a good referee doesn't get noticed, this one did.

The game overtook the ground in this one but Rosebank lives up to its reputation. Brilliant old style ground with modern adjustments. Friendly folk and another brilliant ground ticked off

20240106_133029.jpg

20240106_145841.jpg

Preston Athletic 1 St Andrews United 1 HT.

Surprisingly my first trip here. I only grew up about seven miles away, but clearly never fancied it until today.

Really smart stadium, it’s got everything you need apart from a MUTE button for the drummer.

My favourite moment thus far has been the linesman flagging for a throw in as St Andrews were poised to break upfield. You could have driven a small family car in between the ball and the touchline.

Good game this. 

IMG_9725.jpeg

IMG_9713.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Preston Athletic 1 St Andrews United 1 HT.

Surprisingly my first trip here. I only grew up about seven miles away, but clearly never fancied it until today.

Really smart stadium, it’s got everything you need apart from a MUTE button for the drummer.

My favourite moment thus far has been the linesman flagging for a throw in as St Andrews were poised to break upfield. You could have driven a small family car in between the ball and the touchline.

Good game this. 

IMG_9725.jpeg

IMG_9713.jpeg

IMG_9706.jpeg

Did you go in the goth??

1 minute ago, philpy said:

Did you go in the goth??

Of course I did! First visit there too. Might have been my first time stopping off in Prestonpans itself come to think of it. 

There was some sort of crisis taking place in the Goth as somebody had chucked too much coal or peat onto the fire, and the whole dining room was smoked out. Loads of folk decamping from there into the bar when I arrived. Anyway, crisis was eventually averted without calling for the fire brigade.

Game finished 2-1 to St Andrews United. Was a good day all round, rounded off with a wee wander around Musselburgh Harbour at dusk.

IMG_9728.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg