Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Denbigh Town 6-2 Llanidloes Town

On holiday in North Wales so decided to take in some local action in the Cmyru North (Welsh Championship).

5th against 14th in a 16 team league so the hosts were favourites, and it showed. Denbigh were superb, the score could have been anything. Apart from 10 minutes either side of half time when Llanidloes came into the game a wee bit, it was one way traffic. Some brilliant passing and finishing and a 25 yard blockbuster of a freekick give the hosts a very well deserved thre points.

Probably West/East Premier standard of football. Perfect for us, only £6 a head as well so great value for money. 

Central Park, Denbigh is certainly far nicer than Central Park Cowdenbeath, and indeed Whitburn. Lovely views of the Clywd Hills at one end and the picturesque town of Denbigh at the other.

The ground and the town are well worth coming to. Good to see there is a good football scene in North Wales outside the Wrexham circus 25 miles away.

20231007_143605.jpg

20231007_145219(0).jpg

20231007_152440.jpg

20231007_155732.jpg

On Saturday I went to FK Arsenal Tivat 1-1 FK Sutjeska Niksic in the Montenegrin First League.

Arsenal Tivat are named after the city (Tivat) and Arsenal relates to Tivats 19th century naval arsenal.

The standard wasn’t great however the views around the stadium were.

Spent the week in Montenegro, based in Tivat, amazing country and Tivat is a good base to explore for anyone interested.

Ground was pretty tinpot and I must admit, I have been to games in League 1 & 2 up here with far more quality, but that doesn’t make it any less special.

Sutjeska were the better side especially in the first half, but a goalkeeping mistake for them at 1-1 just before half time cost them and the second half was a damp squib.

Ticket was €3 though and for top flight football that is ridiculously good, no matter the standard.

71837421886__A1679B82-8D4D-45D0-A8EC-2E303BF2FDC7.thumb.jpeg.959fdc20edd771a79dd254297c192c3a.jpeg

IMG_3342.thumb.jpeg.10f03cc83cfa88e8a0dc50766e1288b0.jpeg

98D182F6-0AB9-47BE-978A-90BBD143FF27.thumb.jpeg.ea201acac9e62d8baee5d63b60448049.jpeg

On 07/10/2023 at 16:27, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Denbigh Town 6-2 Llanidloes Town

On holiday in North Wales so decided to take in some local action in the Cmyru North (Welsh Championship).

5th against 14th in a 16 team league so the hosts were favourites, and it showed. Denbigh were superb, the score could have been anything. Apart from 10 minutes either side of half time when Llanidloes came into the game a wee bit, it was one way traffic. Some brilliant passing and finishing and a 25 yard blockbuster of a freekick give the hosts a very well deserved thre points.

Probably West/East Premier standard of football. Perfect for us, only £6 a head as well so great value for money. 

Central Park, Denbigh is certainly far nicer than Central Park Cowdenbeath, and indeed Whitburn. Lovely views of the Clywd Hills at one end and the picturesque town of Denbigh at the other.

The ground and the town are well worth coming to. Good to see there is a good football scene in North Wales outside the Wrexham circus 25 miles away.

20231007_143605.jpg

20231007_145219(0).jpg

20231007_152440.jpg

20231007_155732.jpg

Looks brilliant.

I've been making a wee list of Welsh grounds to go to over the last year or so. Some absolute belters down there.

4 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Looks brilliant.

I've been making a wee list of Welsh grounds to go to over the last year or so. Some absolute belters down there.

My first Welsh ground (Chester doesn't count) some cracking Stadiums down. Porthmadog FC looks belting as well. Will definitely be going there

On 07/10/2023 at 18:01, Andy groundhopper said:

Made it to Harlaw Park for Loco's 5 Strathspey 0 . Not a bad 1st half but some poor defending from the Thistle, constantly giving the ball away. Credit they kept going to the end, just lacked quality at times. Glad to get a game and a train back to Inverness.20231007_152351.thumb.jpg.181abc474d7d46d279824fb3d3325124.jpg20231007_163128.thumb.jpg.4c4ee020968198bf72367735dc207759.jpg

Did you ever get there when Locos had their tiny wee stand? 

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Did you ever get there when Locos had their tiny wee stand? 

No my first visit, tidy ground and clubhouse. Would have done Deveronvale and Formartine (Tue/Thurs)if I could have got back to Inverness! PS Some excellent grounds in the Welsh Ardal League's as well - long way from Scotland I know.

At Mosset Park for Forres Mech 1 Clach 1. Excellent crossfield pass and finish for 01 with another tidy finish for 11 by home m.o.m Lee Fraser - thought Clach's no.21 was always a threat and hard working. Forres kept over hitting passes, and didn't get enough bodies in the box - but did well to respond in the 2nd half. Clach tidy and threatened well in the first half, fair result tbf. Two decent young sides, keep encouraging eh.20231011_2240022.thumb.jpg.3d19e6ba4d3bf6b3139e55755a50d330.jpga20231011_2122553.thumb.jpg.46c367e20612ee9824c07a18944917cd.jpg

Bellshill Athletic 2-0 Kilsyth Athletic 

Back home earlier in the week so back to auld claes and porridge in the West Third. 

Glad to see the Bellshill seem to have settled into Rockburn Park after fairly horrendous luck with their homes ever since leaving the original Brandon Park. 

The Hill are top of the league and Kilsyth are 9th so the hosts were favourites on paper and so it proved. Surprised to see JC Hutchison still playing for the Hill aged 38. Some may remember him as the gaff prone goalkeeper that caused much hilarity as Clyde completed their journey from the Championship to the arse end of League 2. 

This wasn't much of a game to be honest. Disappointing as there was a big crowd here (ugly sisters and Motherwell not playing after all) two goals in First Half stoppage time made the difference to the scoreline and the juggernaut marches on.

Rockburn is a cage done pretty well. Not as good as Blackburn but a lot better than the Sportsfield! Large cup of tea for a pound as well, cannie whack it.

20231014_152423.jpg

20231014_153620(0).jpg

IMG-20231014-WA0009.jpg

End my week at Dudgeon Park for Highland Lge Cup semi - seeing the ground being forked at 2pm had me wondering, but luckily its on. Brora 6 Keith 1. After two gk errors for 01 and 11 the rest was one way traffic. Keith chasing shadows at times, and at 31 game over. Credit Keith's players who stayed in the bar longer than the hosts. Youngsters these days 🍺20231014_145117.thumb.jpg.4993904acd4912bf48fecf93f08b408b.jpg20231014_162012.thumb.jpg.a28c8492827360d15528a7fbd7fb24d7.jpg

After a weeks break, where I had to work a weekend I'm back on my travels today. We'll a short journey to Albyn Park for the South Challenge Cup clash between Broxburn Athletic and Lesmahagow Juniors. Albyn Park is a interesting ground. Its had some work done on it. And the high grass banks around looks like it must have had a much larger capacity in the past. Would be interested to know a bit more about that.

This turned out to be a much better and closer game than I imagined before I chose it. Broxburn are top of the East of Scotland Premier. The visitors are 6th in the West of Scotland 3rd Division (4th tier) though both teams were in form.

The match as I say was very competitive and went from end to end. Broxburn took the lead on 22 minutes when Brass showed some great skill to lift the ball over the defender, control the ball and fire a shot home inside the box. Lesmahagow though showed great fight and spirit to stay in the game and equalised on 39 minutes when they broke away on a counter attack, Kieran McGuire played the ball out to Andrew Arthurs who's lung bursting run from his own half seen him fire a hard shot at Watt in the Broxburn goal. He couldn't hold it and it went over the line as the Linesman awarded the goal. Broxburn then retook the lead 3 minutes later when a cross from the right found Nimme, who's shot was only half cleared before Brass claimed his second with a shot into the roof of the net. A breathless first half ended with Broxburn leading 2-1. 

The second galf started a wee bit more calmly, as the home side controlled the early part. But Lesmahagow who looked really up for the game and played as good football as their opponents equalised again, when a short quick passing move found Arthurs free in the box to slot home his second goal. 

This was a real cup tie now. Broxburn despite looking the better team and creating tge most chances struggled with Lesmahagows work effort throughout the game. And this could have gone either way. Lesmahagow lost their first choice goalkeeper to injury and the sub keeper had to come on, he initially looked a bit ropey but did make a few good saves. But there had to be a winner. And this came when the visitors made a mess of trying to clear the ball, a shot came in and Craig Forbes made a fantastic save to tip the ball over the bar, sadly Forbes is an outfield player so it was a red card and penalty. The penalty was scored by Darren Downie to make it 3-2. 

Lesmahagow could have capitulated at this point. But kept going forward, despite the danger of losing another goal. They sadly ran out of time in this pulsating tie. But both teams deserve credit for putting on a great game. 

Broxburn 3 Lesmahagow 2

Entrance £8

Programme and teamsheet £2

Steak Pie and coffee £3.40

20231014_155608.jpg

20231014_144034.jpg

20231014_141707.jpg

Carlisle United 0-1 Leyton Orient at Brunton Park in EFL League One. 

A last-minute decision to catch a train to Carlisle and go along to this, in the absence of an Aberdeen game and with a decimated Scottish card. 

It was cold. The football was poor. Orient were maybe slightly less bad than Carlisle, but it was a close-run thing. Another ground ticked off, but far from vintage.

0?ui=2&ik=1c4c56da9e&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r2785412757004785296&th=18b2fa47d0f28b0d&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-O4mv44ooHI_zUHFd3Tvq70DG8v_ph_PtA7Z8AsXtv14noPkj43NaFExTITH83nag9vGM5dBDlTfWDAvGtDnS50y_z6j9545xsltyiHsGWHm7GM1Nkbj8oo2Y&disp=emb&realattid=18b2fa4419df0a399636

Edited by DrewDon

DC United 2-1 Medeama

Ghana was the focus of the inaugural Africa Week Festival in Washington DC this year and to finish off the week the reigning Ghanaian champions Medeama travelled to face DC United. The home side missed out on the play-offs and parted ways with their little known English manager, Wayne Rooney, last week. The US showed their ongoing high regard for both Africa and football by not granting visas to a significant number of Medeama players and officials.

Despite all of that, it was a very decent game with what was left of the Medeama squad clearly taking it very seriously and probably unlucky to lose on the day. I managed to pick up a ticket for $10 (around £8.25 nowadays) which was pretty good value for an opportunity to see an African club live for the first time. A not too bad crowd turned up considering how little Americans tend to be bothered about actually seeing interesting sides - but give them 2 EPL reserve teams playing at walking pace and charge them $100 and you'll get a good 60,000.

Medeama apparently come from a town of around 35,000 people. So if anyone can get a Falkirk or Queen of the South or Motherwell or whoever over for New York Tartan Week or similar nonsense then I might actually bother to join those celebrations for once.

WhatsAppImage2023-10-14at20_06_18.thumb.jpeg.10fe5219e7dcd875262e030cdcf54f61.jpeg

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Carlisle United 0-1 Leyton Orient at Brunton Park in EFL League One. 

A last-minute decision to catch a train to Carlisle and go along to this, in the absence of an Aberdeen game and with a decimated Scottish card. 

It was cold. The football was poor. Orient were maybe slightly less bad than Carlisle, but it was a close-run thing. Another ground ticked off, but far from vintage.

0?ui=2&ik=1c4c56da9e&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-a:r2785412757004785296&th=18b2fa47d0f28b0d&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-O4mv44ooHI_zUHFd3Tvq70DG8v_ph_PtA7Z8AsXtv14noPkj43NaFExTITH83nag9vGM5dBDlTfWDAvGtDnS50y_z6j9545xsltyiHsGWHm7GM1Nkbj8oo2Y&disp=emb&realattid=18b2fa4419df0a399636

This was supposed to be my plan for yesterday, but flight delays and cancellations coming back from Spain fucked it up. Sounds like it was probably a lucky escape though. 

22 hours ago, atfccfc said:

After a weeks break, where I had to work a weekend I'm back on my travels today. We'll a short journey to Albyn Park for the South Challenge Cup clash between Broxburn Athletic and Lesmahagow Juniors. Albyn Park is a interesting ground. Its had some work done on it. And the high grass banks around looks like it must have had a much larger capacity in the past. Would be interested to know a bit more about that.

This turned out to be a much better and closer game than I imagined before I chose it. Broxburn are top of the East of Scotland Premier. The visitors are 6th in the West of Scotland 3rd Division (4th tier) though both teams were in form.

The match as I say was very competitive and went from end to end. Broxburn took the lead on 22 minutes when Brass showed some great skill to lift the ball over the defender, control the ball and fire a shot home inside the box. Lesmahagow though showed great fight and spirit to stay in the game and equalised on 39 minutes when they broke away on a counter attack, Kieran McGuire played the ball out to Andrew Arthurs who's lung bursting run from his own half seen him fire a hard shot at Watt in the Broxburn goal. He couldn't hold it and it went over the line as the Linesman awarded the goal. Broxburn then retook the lead 3 minutes later when a cross from the right found Nimme, who's shot was only half cleared before Brass claimed his second with a shot into the roof of the net. A breathless first half ended with Broxburn leading 2-1. 

The second galf started a wee bit more calmly, as the home side controlled the early part. But Lesmahagow who looked really up for the game and played as good football as their opponents equalised again, when a short quick passing move found Arthurs free in the box to slot home his second goal. 

This was a real cup tie now. Broxburn despite looking the better team and creating tge most chances struggled with Lesmahagows work effort throughout the game. And this could have gone either way. Lesmahagow lost their first choice goalkeeper to injury and the sub keeper had to come on, he initially looked a bit ropey but did make a few good saves. But there had to be a winner. And this came when the visitors made a mess of trying to clear the ball, a shot came in and Craig Forbes made a fantastic save to tip the ball over the bar, sadly Forbes is an outfield player so it was a red card and penalty. The penalty was scored by Darren Downie to make it 3-2. 

Lesmahagow could have capitulated at this point. But kept going forward, despite the danger of losing another goal. They sadly ran out of time in this pulsating tie. But both teams deserve credit for putting on a great game. 

Broxburn 3 Lesmahagow 2

Entrance £8

Programme and teamsheet £2

Steak Pie and coffee £3.40

20231014_155608.jpg

20231014_144034.jpg

20231014_141707.jpg

Albyn Park was done up 15 years ago or so. The old dressing rooms are still there, used by a boxing club (cynics would say they were used by a boxing club previously). There used to be a nice wee rockery next to them and I'm sure I've got a picture of it somewhere. 

Someone with a better memory than mine said last week that the shed was closer to the pitch but they found old mine workings when laying the 4G pitch. It would appear that way from this old photo of Hibs Ladies playing there:

Raith4.thumb.JPG.81462ee8cee1489243549471eab336f8.JPG

Albyn Park had floodlights too before redevelopment and I believe Rangers used it once or twice for Reserve League games.