Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

AC Milan 3 - 0 Stade Rennais

My first time at the San Siro, and it’s utterly phenomenal. The curva sud were in full voice throughout and the Rennes fans were out in good numbers too, so an excellent spectacle.

Milan deserved the win, and are an excellent side as you’d expect. That said, Desire Doue for Stade Rennais is an exceptional player - only 18. Had never heard of him before, so might be old news but he will go far.

IMG_5386.thumb.jpeg.fbbee676cd0e3c9ba69823c039c53256.jpeg

IMG_5390.thumb.jpeg.f0e363a182739353cd9be91253733dbc.jpeg

IMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.2fa0ccef002ee80831785cf74e1c0b45.jpeg

Hertha BSC 3 - 2 FC Magdeburg

A phenomenal experience and a quite mental game of football. First time ever going to the Olympiastadion, some stadium and both sets of fans were incredible with pyro all over the shop. 

Hertha dominated early and spurned loads of chances before Magdeburg took the lead. Hertha scored a pen then Magdeburg got a straight red - Hertha scored from the resulting free kick. 

Then something happened that I've never seen before. In first half injury time, whilst Magdeburg were waiting to take a corner, Hertha fans launched tennis balls on to the pitch. Each time they were cleared, they'd launch a few more. Eventually, the ref took them off. 

Fifteen mins later, they returned and restarted from the corner and played the remaining four mins of injury time. The ref blew for the end of the first half and the teams swapped sides and went straight into the second half. 

Magdeburg levelled before another brief stoppage for fireworks. Finally, Hertha got a winner although almost conceded an equaliser with a shot off the bar at the end. 

I'm aware this reads a bit like Ralph Wiggum wrote it but was genuinely one of the most entertaining games I've ever been at. 

IMG_20240216_183352.thumb.jpg.2a65a9e7d08371eff7d9b6d7926befe6.jpg

Edited by JMDP

Leith Ath 3-1 Blackburn United East of Scotland 1st Division. Friday night under the lights at Meadowbank. Bit of an ill tempered game that saw both teams reduced to 10 men. Leith’s keeper was first to be sent off for aiming a headbutt at Blackburn forward just before half time with score at 1-1. Blackburn were probably better team prior to the red card but once they went down to 10 Leith started to play some nice football and deserved to take the lead. With the tackles that were going in and the yellow cards being shown it was inevitable that another player would be sent off and Blackburn were eventually reduced to 10 just before full time. 

IMG_9491.jpeg

IMG_9492.jpeg

IMG_9493.jpeg

Leith Athletic 3-1 Blackburn United @ Meadowbank Stadium 🌱. EOSFL 1st Division. 8pm. The home side ahead early on 🚀 but United quickly levelled. The game became niggly with Leith reduced to 10 🔴 but they responded brilliantly to go on and deservedly win it. Crowd 101.

IMG_4382.jpeg

IMG_4383.jpeg

IMG_4384.jpeg

8 hours ago, JMDP said:

Hertha BSC 3 - 2 FC Magdeburg

A phenomenal experience and a quite mental game of football. First time ever going to the Olympiastadion, some stadium and both sets of fans were incredible with pyro all over the shop. 

Hertha dominated early and spurned loads of chances before Magdeburg took the lead. Hertha scored a pen then Magdeburg got a straight red - Hertha scored from the resulting free kick. 

Then something happened that I've never seen before. In first half injury time, whilst Magdeburg were waiting to take a corner, Hertha fans launched tennis balls on to the pitch. Each time they were cleared, they'd launch a few more. Eventually, the ref took them off. 

Fifteen mins later, they returned and restarted from the corner and played the remaining four mins of injury time. The ref blew for the end of the first half and the teams swapped sides and went straight into the second half. 

Magdeburg levelled before another brief stoppage for fireworks. Finally, Hertha got a winner although almost conceded an equaliser with a shot off the bar at the end. 

I'm aware this reads a bit like Ralph Wiggum wrote it but was genuinely one of the most entertaining games I've ever been at. 

IMG_20240216_183352.thumb.jpg.2a65a9e7d08371eff7d9b6d7926befe6.jpg

Saw Liverpool play there in pre-season 4/5 years ago. Brilliant stadium. 

This name may be familiar to any Half Man Half Biscuit fans.  Cammell Laird 1907 vs Sandbach United, in North West Counties First Division South.  Laird's most famous player, under their previous guise, is Peter Davenport.  For additional trivia points, my Grandad lived in the flat next door to his nan.

Royal Albert 3 Saltcoats Victoria 2. 

Those who are longer in the tusk than me might remember Stonehouse Violet playing here at Tileworks Park. Or Stonehouse being lined up to become Scotland’s next New Town.

The pitch here could best be described as “heavy”. One wee area has a particular issue, the same issue that Holland has when the dykes burst, but they’ve chucked a few tonne of builders sand down and it’s Game On.

Enjoying this game. It’s the footballing version of Brutalism, where the ball is never far from being leathered back to where it just came from. But I wouldn’t have it any other way today.

Decent crowd in, including a good few Vics fans.

EDIT - cracking second half. Vics were transformed, but ultimately the Elephant Men of Stonehouse prevailed. 

IMG_0262.jpeg

IMG_0271.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Vidiprinter

Albion Rovers 1-0 Gretna 2008

Coatbridge today to see a former League club with a horrific stadium against Albion Rovers.

Only need to go once to tick them off so this is, hopefully, the last time we ever need to be in Cliftonhill. To be fair to Rovers there have been some improvements made here with some steps behind the goal and the cover looking a bit less ramshackle. 

Rovers are midtable in the Lowland League. They may be disappointed with that but finding their level much more comfortably than Cowden and Shire seem to have. Gretna will be very glad for Edinburgh Uni or they'd be bottom. Their Geography working against them with Dumfries, Annan and Carlisle area teams fighting for players. 

We, like many folk, thought this would be a comfortable home win today given Gretna's form and yes Rovers dominated much of the game but Gretna had their chances. The visitors had the ball in net but it was rightly ruled offside. One of the highlights of the game was Gretna's man of many clubs David Cox jumping for the ball with Bright Prince of Albion Rovers who can't be much short of 6ft 6! A game that won't live long in the memory was won by Rovers late on. The Gretna players were heart broken and no wonder. They'd put in a fantastic shift.

I don't like Cliftonhill. I wouldn't miss it if it was to go. Rovers folk are generally nice enough though. They're shite and they know they are type. Never take themselves to seriously. Any fanbase that complains to a lines man and calls him a "scudbook" get bonus points from me 

20240217_162447.jpg

20240217_152558.jpg

20240217_145853.jpg

Let’s have a random matches rammy!

Cliftonhill is a wonderful football stadium. I wouldn’t change a single thing about it, other than getting the big terrace reopened.

I’ve always enjoyed my visits there and particularly enjoyed my last visit, where we discovered the St Andrews Bar beforehand.

I’d go so far as to say I’d easily put it in my top ten grounds in Scotland.

Edinburgh City 1-1 Queen of the South in league 1. Original choice being called off meant it was quick dash to Meadowbank to watch this. Was not a great game and draw was probably right result. City’s keeper getting the equaliser in injury time.

IMG_9494.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Cliftonhill is a wonderful football stadium. I wouldn’t change a single thing about it, other than getting the big terrace reopened.

I’ve always enjoyed my visits there and particularly enjoyed my last visit, where we discovered the St Andrews Bar beforehand.

Allow me to respectfully Disagree. Better than Cowden though 🤣

19 minutes ago, Jute said:

Edinburgh City 1-1 Queen of the South in league 1. Original choice being called off meant it was quick dash to Meadowbank to watch this. Was not a great game and draw was probably right result. City’s keeper getting the equaliser in injury time.

IMG_9494.jpeg

Massive fan of goalkeepers scoring last minute goals.

Carlisle United 0-4 Cambridge United

Saving for Germany amongst other things has put a bit of a stop to me attending random games, so first new ground of the year for me today. Hosts had the majority of the ball but really didn’t do a lot when they had it. On the other hand, Cambridge were deadly on the counter. Would recommend watching the second goal - very funny. Big fan of the floodlights 

30C45A82-897B-4C27-8288-916F3C74106C.jpeg

2DC74D57-9799-40A8-B4EE-EE129B7160CD.jpeg

Brentford 1-4 Liverpool (0-1 HT) @ Gtech Community Stadium 🌱. Premier League. 12.30pm. The visitors day is spoiled picking up 3 injuries but they run out big 🔥 winners to stay top of the table. Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah & Gakpo all on target. Toney for the 🐝’s. Crowd 17,193.

IMG_4459.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

IMG_4461.jpeg

On 17/02/2024 at 18:52, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Yep, with you on that one. Love Cliftonhill and agree with every point you made there. Definitely top ten, probably even top five for me. 

Heart of Midlothian B 4-2 East Kilbride (3-1 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. 7.45pm. The young Jambos deservedly beat the Lowland League leaders with an excellent display 👏. 2-0 down early on EK fought back to 2-1 and 3-2 but a 4th settled it. Great value for a fiver. Crowd 380.

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg