Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Having been on "Road to Hampden" duties at Pittodrie I hightailed it at full time to catch Inverurie Locos v Wick. Made it to Inverurie on time but missed the first goal as I couldn't quite remember where Harlaw Park was (two visits in 32 years. Locos v Armadale in 1992 and Cove v Edinburgh City 8 years ago).

Maybe I just noticed them more but I thought there was as many Wick fans as Loco fans. 

loco1.thumb.jpg.9fe66d15c5fcdf4eff8fe0d8af687166.jpg

In the background an electronic scoreboard. Oooh fancy. 

locos2.thumb.jpg.1f6a837c1d567b692a62c8ec50b060ac.jpg

Get a pair o specs, lino. Ah. I see. As you were then. 

Ormiston Primrose 2-0 Vale of Leithen (1-0 HT) @ New Recreation Park 🌱. King Cup 🏆 R2 tie (4th attempt at playing it). The home side opened the scoring (32) after a pretty even start just before Vale were then reduced 🔴 to 10 men (34) for a handball which stopped a through ball behind the defence. Vale had chances despite being a man down but only got as close as hitting the post before Ormiston sealed it with 9 minutes to go. The visitors ended it with 9 men. Crowd 48.

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5559.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

Edited by Crow

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Glenrothes 1-2 Musselburgh Athletic 

Here at the Warout for some Romanian Secon... Sorry East Premier League action. If you love Brutalist architecture this is the place for you for all Almondvale and Broadwood's problems, at least they don't look like this. Still better than Meadowbank though.

Another local one for us now so happy to jump up the road. First impression was the stadium, second was how small the Home keeper was. 5ft6 on his tip toes and lucky if he's 18. The hosts started really well however and took a lead after pressure. The chance of 2-0 was spurned after they balloon a penalty over the bar. A deflection and a lob over the vertically challenged goalkeeper sends the points down the road.

The Warout is unique. Closest is probably a smaller Old Meadowbank. Did enjoy it, it'll be fun in the summer.

20240309_140556.jpg

Never mind Gala, this is the real concrete beauty and it deserves more attention. Did you go into the lounge at the back? They've committed to maintaining the 60s aesthetic and the decor and furniture make it feel like a film set. 

Starting a bit of a bag-fest so I thought I'd share here.

Thurso 1-2 Bonar Bridge. Bottom of the pyramid at the top of the mainland, last-placed Thurso hosted second-bottom Bonar Bridge, and they lived down to the billing. The game won't last long in the memory, it took 36 minutes for either side to manage a shot of any kind. Second half featured a goal direct from a corner at least, the ball catching a snell east wind, but not a classic, as they say. At the start of the game players, referees and coaches outnumbered fans but folk kept trickling in, presumably because there's no admission fee.

Have to respect the Bonar Bridge fans' banner, which says "North Curve".

A spectacular part of the country and well worth visiting. 

image.thumb.png.8f0ca00b3879ae7f8485a2dc08409f81.pngimage.thumb.png.1f11d1508b9bd3b0ab8b9ba51ea2deb4.png

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Never mind Gala, this is the real concrete beauty and it deserves more attention. Did you go into the lounge at the back? They've committed to maintaining the 60s aesthetic and the decor and furniture make it feel like a film set. 

Didn't go in but saw it. Splendid place. I was a bit sarcastic in the post but really enjoyed it 

Went along to Neilston 0 Kilwinning 2 in the WOSFL Div 1, courtesy of Scotrail £17 offer. A couple of pints in the Horseshoe and the Drum and Monkey in between trains.

The second week in a row watching the Buffs and this week, led by veteran striker Bryan Boylan, they were comfortable against the bottom club. Goalless at ht but a quick goal and a late clincher, both by no 7 Mark Lamont, settled it on a day when everybody was frozen stiff.

A few phone pics below plus a crappy old Kodachrome taken at my last visit in 1996 where the Farmer's Boys were flattered by the 4-0 scoreline as they knocked Bonnyrigg Rose out of the SJC.

IMG_8926.thumb.JPG.1cebbbe44d2cf5d97b84a6e66dcaa58e.JPGTh

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

Untitled(3)(11).thumb.jpg.14e3193b765dee5ec357f68c2118e9c0.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

Clachnacuddin Women 4-1 Nairn St Ninian's Women.

Opening day of the Highlands & Islands League 2024. Inverness Royal Academy is as bad a place to watch football as I have been. There's no viewing area and the referee wouldn't let spectators stand pitchside, but I and a couple of others lurked in at the corner after kick-off. The rest of the 25-or-so had to watch through the black fence, which is bad enough when play is in front of you but the further to the side you look the less you can see. No facilities of any kind either, not even toilets. This is where Clach A play a lot of their North Caledonian League games too.

The game itself... the H&IL isn't attached to the women's pyramid and this level of football is developmental. There was some good stuff to watch and with 5 goals, two shots off the bar and one off the post it was never boring. Although Clach won comfortably enough they didn't pull away until they made it 3-1 and 4-1 in short order with about 15 minutes left.

Many of the clubs in this league play at good football grounds, but Clach aren't one of them.

image.thumb.png.cf0c38eb0b20f0f5af0eccc2ef8ed233.png

image.thumb.png.db368e1699b2a6ad515a8e6d53c66de8.png

image.thumb.png.20582dbe8629c4d6a532cc053192f50b.png

Stranraer SOS 1-3 Queen of the South (reserves), Potts Cup semi-final, Stuart Binnie Arena, att. 140 (ish).

This 'completes' the South of Scotland League grounds for me for the third time, having completed them a few years ago at Abbey Vale, then again last season when Lochar Thislte moved to their new, proper home, and again because Stranraer SOS are settled here at the Academy. The facility, with a very good 3G surface and a small running track outside the viewing area, is named after an apparently much-loved PE teacher who recently passed away.

QotS started much the better team, far more technical ability and pace, and when they went 2-0 up in less than 10 minutes it looked like a battering might be about to unfold. But Stranraer dug in and battled, and found success in balls into the channels for their physical and capable number 9 to hold up and chase. He got one back for them before half-time and the second half was more competitive, but the game was done when the visitors got a third and a Stranraer player picked up a second booking. Very enjoyable stuff for a Tuesday night.

image.thumb.png.ebeedde33436b0e64f131a7bfab14000.png

image.thumb.png.edab29fe6f1c9026bd844c625e14dc6c.png

image.thumb.png.ba5ccf4671444d56f783b28c0e568dfc.png

Armadale Thistle 3-2 Ormiston Primrose (1-2 HT) @ Volunteer Park 🌱. 7.45pm. EOSFL 2nd Division. Great game to open the 2024 Scottish 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Groundhop. The 15th placed visitors twice ahead but the home side (2nd) turned it round 🔄 with 2 strikes in the closing stages. Crowd 436.

IMG_5749.jpeg

IMG_5750.jpeg

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5751.jpeg

Luncarty 4 Crossgates Primrose 2 HT. Six goals in the relegation six pointer.

An absolutely abysmal display of defending from both sides sees the ball go into a net any time it gets close to a goal.

Can’t recall either keeper making a save either.

Beautiful spring weather here in Perthshire, the big jacket was left in the car. This after scraping the car in the -2oC weather I awoke to.

IMG_0445.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Distracted by a train

Kinnoull 0 Penicuik Athletic 0 FT.

Quite like Tulloch Park. It’s really just a big pitch with a fence around it, but the old industrial buildings around it give it a bit of character.

First half has sapped my will to live a little, but taking a positive mindset, either it must pick up soon, or at least I only have one more half of it to endure.

EDIT - second half was worse. Nil-nil.

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

Full time

Back at The Walks. 

Kings Lynn Town v Rushall Olympic.

Lynn now unbeaten in eight but still only hovering above the relegation zone. Rushall two places and two points below them. 

Massive game today. 

Mon the Linnets.

uKWqun6.jpeg

sbqpv2e.jpeg

tvR761M.jpeg

srKKIf3.jpeg

Carnoustie Panmure 1-1 Broughty Athletic 

A rare visit to the Midlands legaue for us to one of several Scottish Towns more famous for Golf. 

To the surprise of no one Carnoustie's nickname is the gowfers, and the twice winners of the Midland League will not be winning this year but the visitors from Broughty Ferry should. 20 odd points clear but there is a fixture pile up coming so still a long way to go. 

The visitors took the lead very early on. I'm not sure exactly when as I was munching a tremendous steak pie at the time.

The game looked like it was going to get away from the hosts but the settled and maintained the score till half time. A much better second half performance sees Carnoustie deservedly equalise from a penalty that everyone but the Broughty goalkeeper thought was a stone waller. He would feel justice was done when Broughty were awarded their own spot kick but a magnificent save kept the teams level.

Laing Park is a wee bit basic. No cover or lights means Carnoustie can't go up but a really enjoyable afternoon in freezing cold Angus. I do recommend a visit.

20240316_145555.jpg

20240316_154816.jpg

Jeanfield Swifties 1 Dunbar United 0 HT.

Early goal from a belting free kick, taken from about a mile out, which had the aesthetically pleasing quality of dinking in off the crossbar.

Otherwise the game has been played at a great lick, two incredibly skilled teams in comparison to the turgid rubbish we endured earlier at Kinnoull.

Enjoying this one. 

IMG_0473.jpeg

Pat Fenlon

Random Matches You Went To But Were Moved To A 3G Cage Half An Hour Away After You Last Checked.

Bonar Bridge v Thurso. Or not. Arrived to find that, a couple of hours earlier, the game had been moved to Dalmore Park in Alness. I've been there before and have no interest in watching yet another game at a school's 3G pitch for the sake of it, my back-up plan of Clach A at Evanton was off too, so I went with the missus for a walk at Dornoch instead. Apparently Thurso won 4-3.

This was Bonar Bridge's last home game of the season so I'll need to wait until next season to see a game here. Looking at the pitch it's hard to believe it ever dries out.

And Dornoch is a great place.

image.thumb.png.d1cb082062a8868fef86127b1cabb88a.png

image.thumb.png.5ab29c19bd8b8a8fb095cce02d9cddf0.png

image.thumb.png.9818294c792e78d5a189bbf82995911a.png

Edited by GordonS

My last week of the season begins at the Rec for Darvel 3 Ardrossan 1. The visitors made a game of it, quickly making things 1-1. They switched off as a cross came over, to fall 2-1 behind in the first half. Darvel flew out of the traps, scoring quickly into the 2nd half which in reality, killed the game off. After that, class told,even though AWR kept going until the end. Be interesting to see what ground improvements are made into the future.20240316_150415.thumb.jpg.53e8823843e30ed6ddb1516bca08d830.jpg

Kings Lynn Town 2-1 Rushall Olympic 

Att 1005

Lynn rallied late in the first half to equalise the 5th minute opener from Rushall who with plenty of possession and slick movement, would feel slightly aggrieved going in 1-1 at half time. 

Nothing between the teams in the second half. Lynn attempting to be more direct against Rushall's slick passing approach. 

Margetts netted the winner with 10 to go sending the home fans home happy. 

SeW0NBQ.jpeg

After today's results, it's tight down there. 

63zOqs5.jpeg

Edited by Trackdaybob

Cinch League 2.

Forfar 1 Stenhousemuir 1.

It has been said in the Match thread for this, that neither team deaerved to win this and that is fair.

Outside of the goals, i can recall one shot (possibly from Berry) that dipped, but never really troubled the Forfar keeper. 
Stenny looked the more comfortable in possession and worked hard to win it back when out Forfar had the ball.

Stenny took the lead in the first half when O’Reilly crossed the ball in, Yates knocked it on and James Berry tapped it in. Forfars’ equaliser came from a free kick from Inglis that was knocked in by Adam Hutchison. 
Station park is a nice, old fashioned Football stadium, the food is good and  the tannoy works. (Which is better than some places we have been to)

Gates didn’t open until 30 mins before kick off, which was surprising, but no big deal. 
IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.3099cb59efbd3999c167aded4faa86d9.jpegIMG_4346.thumb.jpeg.f846ccd4d3650f123f78f2e8049c4caa.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

Spartans 2-6 Dumbarton. 3rd v 4th in league 2. Thumping win for Dumbarton against a Spartans side who played well below their usual standards. Three great free kicks in the game two for Dumbarton and 1 for Spartans. Spartans must be sick of the sight of me as they have lost every one of their league games I have attended. Spartans have now added an electronic score board .   

IMG_9683.jpeg

IMG_9684.jpeg