Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

A stormy night at Stepford for Easterhouse 3 Saltcoats 2 att prob 50ish. With the gale with them the hosts raced into a 3 goal lead, the visitors struggling to escape their own half. A half time grilling must have done the trick as Salts got back in 31, 32, and almost grabbed a point right at the death. Fair game in the conditions, more noise coming from the Development game behind ! 20240322_210208.thumb.jpg.9562df187b187a927d6a639de4374e53.jpg

Glasgow University 3-0 Wishaw

Through necessity out West today. The original plan had been Bonnyton but dire warnings in the weather forecast meant we ended up at Airdrie for the only University side in the West pyramid with three in the East. 

Can't say I was that thrilled with the situation but at least Airdrie weren't playing. Heard chanting and a drum on entry and given it was homophobia and misogyny rather than Latin and ancient Greek this was definitely the Wishaw Ultras. Wee nyaffs maybe but they sang all game despite their team being hopeless. Two early goals win the game for the Uni and that is that apart from two red cards for the guests as their discipline went. A lovely volley just on full time rounds off the scoring Tried to persuade the crowd to have a chorus of Gaudeamus Igitur but alas no luck.

Wishaw will be relegated. They are hopeless. Especially seeing how well near neighbours Bellshill are doing, on and off the park, it will hurt. Ticks off Broomfield and its rather staunch scoreboard. A welcome return to the East next week. 

20240323_140643.jpg

20240323_152350.jpg

20240323_152148.jpg

20240323_152156.jpg

Glasgow Utd (daft name and a shame the club was closed) v Lesmahagow 23. Game end to end, the hosts seemed ok when they restored lead for 21 but the Gow hit back with two quick goals 2nd half - and looked more of a threat suddenly.Glasgow had half chances to level, really enjoyable in a lovely old ground - in front of a decent crowd.20240323_144930.thumb.jpg.0051588df2992dfaa158b7b08fc433ae.jpg20240323_144753.thumb.jpg.388624902d4354511cc7b4fc422f67a7.jpg

First of a triple header over the next four days.

James McGrory Park for St Roch's V Kilbirnie Ladeside 0-0, Crowd 400 or so. Entry £8. West if Scotland Division 1. 

Though this finished 0-0 it was a decent game. The Candy though will thank goalkeeper Ethan Mitchell for the point though as he made a string of fantastic saves before and after the hosts were reduced to 10 men when Galasso was shown a straight  red for a late tackle after 30 minutes. I thought the red was harsh, a yellow would've sufficed. But the referee then nearly caused himself trouble with his inconsistency when he then let two similar tackles go unpunished, except for a free kick (one for each team) if he showed a red for the first the hosts were lucky not be be reduced to 9 a few moments later.

The Hosts did have a few chances before the red card and after. But Kilbirnie Ladeside will be kicking themselves that they didn't win this. They almost snatched the 3 points at the death when they hit the post only for the rebound to be blasted over! 

20240323_135957.jpg

Musselburgh Ath 1-0 Jeanfield Swifts. 2nd v 3rd in East of Scotland Premier league. First half was end to end with both teams creating decent chances.  Musselburgh goal was a bit of a scrambled effort. Second half was not as good as game got a bit scrappy with a few fouls. Wind picking up probably didn’t help the standard of football. Win moves Musselburgh to 9 points behind leaders Broxburn with a game in hand. 

IMG_9693.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Elgin 1 Forfar 1. Cinch Scottish League two. Borough Briggs, Elgin.

My last one for the 2023/24 season. A more exciting game than last weeks as Forfar continued their unbeaten run. A fantastic finish from Booth made it 1-0 but Forfar equalised with a lovely cut inside from Thomson and where we were, we could see it curl perfectly round the defender and knew it was it in before it hit the net. 
I think if Elgin had figured out that punting the ball up into a very strong wind, wasn’t helping their cause they would have got on better as they played some neat football at times. They could have won it on the counter, but Cairns blasted wide after running from his own half, giving and then eventually getting the ball back from the winger. They hit the post as well. Booth was named man of the match and rightly so, but Bray played well, looks like a good player at this level.

We had a 4 hour drive there and back, so was good to get a good game sandwiched in-between. Borough Briggs is a good stadium, has a lounge inside the stand where you can go before the game as well. IMG_4424.thumb.jpeg.5123f6169bbd8805c4f71c877c92cab9.jpeg
IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.4a266b8e3f24fec30653b28f2808624c.jpeg
IMG_4419.thumb.jpeg.ff72f59c7d56aac0779fae2e3395a901.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

NK Svoboda Ljubljana 2 - 1 NK Kočevje 1

SNL Zahod ( Slovenian 3rd tier )

Free Entry

Spent a few days in Ljubljana and Lake Bled and ended up taking a game in the Slovenian Lower Leagues. 

Quite unusual in that the refereeing team was all female. Only time I have seen something similar was a game involving Whitburn where only official was a woman.

Incidentally Ljubljana is a rather nice city , and the scenery is very similar to Scotland.

20240323-150546.jpg

20240323-152022.jpg20240323-164325.jpg

Challenge Cup final at Falkirk. Airdrieonians V TNS. 2-1 Airdrie. Crowd 3191. Ticket £20 programme £5.

I've been meaning to go to this final for years now. But I always seemed to be working when it's on. But made it this year. 

The match was very open in the first half and TNS took a 12 th minute lead when the speedy Young crossed for Clark to score at the back post after a blistering counter attack. Airdrie though had also been looking dangerous and equalised on 22 minutes when McStravick hit a half volley into the top corner from outside the box. The match was end to end and very entertaining. Both teams could and probably should've scored again. 

The second half wasn't as exciting and Airdrie took control. TNS who were impressive in the first half lost their way a bit. And Airdrie took the lead when a clumsy challenge on the edge of the box resulted in a penalty. Todorov hit it low and hard to the goalkeepers right, he dived the right way but it was a good penalty. TNS FLfoufht back but excellent defending fr9m Aordrie and a couple of near misses meant that the cup would be staying in Scotland. 

20240324_180053.jpg

My week finishes back at Benburb for the West Scotland Cup semi final's : Armadale (airdrie) v Troon Town (ayr) 7-0 gulf in class and ability clear to see, guess well done Troon on making it thus far. Pather FC (airdrie) v Maryhill Milan (gdsfl) 2-1  apart from a late surge,Milan never really got any control v a lively, hard working Pather side who thoroughly deserved the win. Att around 150+ over the two games.20240324_153608.thumb.jpg.da12fc44474606af2a6af5d8711d368d.jpg20240324_174100.thumb.jpg.4c663e495d12db149946e625d6d62155.jpg

Stockport County 5-0 MK Dons

A trip to Edgeley Park while visiting friends who live nearby to see 2nd vs 4th in League Two.

I’ve rarely seen a team on the end of a 5-0 defeat have so much of the play. MK had the best of it for the first half hour but then fell apart (some dodgy goalkeeping didn’t help) and found themselves 4-0 down by early in the second half. Paddy Madden, one of those names you see mentioned around the English lower leagues for years, pulling a lot of the strings. Goal #4 from Connor Lemonheigh-Evans was a beauty. The game largely petered out after that.

10,000 fans there - a sell out. Stockport are a likeable club that have vibes of being on the up. They have an old stand (in the pic) that looks pretty similar to the old stand at Palmerston, other than being updated sympathetically rather than left to rot by a crap board. Not quite so much likeability at least from me for MK Dons through the whole Wimbledon saga, but their fans made a lot of noise to be fair.

We had seats in an uncovered seating area behind one of the goals. It absolutely pissed it down for large sections of the game: rain, hail, high winds, etc. There was an infamous Queens away game at Meadowbank in the early 90s where the stand was closed for a beer festival, everyone was moved to the open terracing, and the rain was biblical. I was there as a teenager. Yesterday might have been the biggest soaking I’ve taken at a football game since!

B35807CC-5218-4E0A-925F-97A1017E8953.jpeg

83A36525-6CB8-47BC-B646-C6DC4F66DEB5.jpeg

On 24/03/2024 at 23:19, Adamski said:

Stockport County 5-0 MK Dons

A trip to Edgeley Park while visiting friends who live nearby to see 2nd vs 4th in League Two.

I’ve rarely seen a team on the end of a 5-0 defeat have so much of the play. MK had the best of it for the first half hour but then fell apart (some dodgy goalkeeping didn’t help) and found themselves 4-0 down by early in the second half. Paddy Madden, one of those names you see mentioned around the English lower leagues for years, pulling a lot of the strings. Goal #4 from Connor Lemonheigh-Evans was a beauty. The game largely petered out after that.

10,000 fans there - a sell out. Stockport are a likeable club that have vibes of being on the up. They have an old stand (in the pic) that looks pretty similar to the old stand at Palmerston, other than being updated sympathetically rather than left to rot by a crap board. Not quite so much likeability at least from me for MK Dons through the whole Wimbledon saga, but their fans made a lot of noise to be fair.

We had seats in an uncovered seating area behind one of the goals. It absolutely pissed it down for large sections of the game: rain, hail, high winds, etc. There was an infamous Queens away game at Meadowbank in the early 90s where the stand was closed for a beer festival, everyone was moved to the open terracing, and the rain was biblical. I was there as a teenager. Yesterday might have been the biggest soaking I’ve taken at a football game since!

I had looked at a short break in Manchester with Mrs Mantis round about the turn of the year so I looked at the fixtures as it’s only about 7 mins in the train from Manchester. Seems like that uncovered end is the only public sale, the rest must be STs. Most games were selling out pretty early too. Still a possibility for next year, maybe they’ll be losing more games anyway…

Down in London this week and next for work, looking for a game to go to Friday / Saturday. Any recommendations?

Preferably something other than premier league sides. Was thinking AFC Wimbledon, as I'm a big fan of their story and rise and noticed they had returned to Plough Lane (I assume not on the actual original site).

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I had looked at a short break in Manchester with Mrs Mantis round about the turn of the year so I looked at the fixtures as it’s only about 7 mins in the train from Manchester. Seems like that uncovered end is the only public sale, the rest must be STs. Most games were selling out pretty early too. Still a possibility for next year, maybe they’ll be losing more games anyway…

I only really have info on the game I went to, but for it we bought the tickets on the Friday eight days before the game. At that point there were maybe 150-200 seats available across the ground - mostly in the uncovered seating, but a smattering here and there around the rest of the ground. We were in a group of three though, and the uncovered area was the only place we could get seats together.

5 hours ago, AUcal said:

Down in London this week and next for work, looking for a game to go to Friday / Saturday. Any recommendations?

Preferably something other than premier league sides. Was thinking AFC Wimbledon, as I'm a big fan of their story and rise and noticed they had returned to Plough Lane (I assume not on the actual original site).

Haringey Borough on Friday and Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday. If it's one or other make it Dulwich. Both Isthmian League.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

36 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Haringey Borough on Friday and Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday. If it's one of other make it Dulwich. Both Isthmian League.

Just had a wee look at both of these grounds and I'm very excited at the prospect. A double on the cards I think. Cheers!

Edited by AUcal

22 hours ago, AUcal said:

The new Plough Lane is about 100 metres from the original site, but same street. The new stadium has been built on the site of the Greyhound stadium. The original site has flats now. 

I've only been for a Rugby league game. It looks kinda temporary,  like they ate planning on increasing capacity if needed.