Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

26 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

The Mestalla is an unbelievable ground though and a blueprint for how a football stadium should be. Built right into tight city streets with very steep sides that are close to the pitch.

I assume you know the plan is to demolish it, and that Valencia have a half-built shell of a ground that's been mouldering away for 15 years which they intend to complete? World Cup candidacy put the wind back into the sails of the project but Peter Lim doesn't appear to be rich enough to get it done.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/valencia-nou-mestalla-66-005.508609/page-72?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#replies 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I assume you know the plan is to demolish it, and that Valencia have a half-built shell of a ground that's been mouldering away for 15 years which they intend to complete? World Cup candidacy put the wind back into the sails of the project but Peter Lim doesn't appear to be rich enough to get it done.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/valencia-nou-mestalla-66-005.508609/page-72?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#replies 

Thank you for that piece of info I had no idea. Doing the tour tomorrow so will probably learn more about it then.

Good read there and a difficult situation. Can see why obviously the local government would love to host the World Cup but I just have to side with the traditional ground.

Lim is a complete dick though and that was clear with the amount of ‘Lim Go Home’ flags and banners that were held up at the first goal. A lesson on owners for any football association that probably won’t be heeded. 

Union Berlin 1-5 Bayern Munich

Not so much random as I’ve had a membership for a couple of years but finally got the chance to see Union at home, and result aside, it didn’t disappoint. The best ground I’ve ever been to.

Bayern were totally ordinary in the first half and were fortunate to be going in ahead, let alone leading by two. Second half was a different story as they began to flex their muscles and added another three in the space of 15 minutes. Found it quite interesting that nobody left until the full time whistle and some even stayed well beyond that! 

21A17E54-92BF-451F-8728-382393EB0261.jpeg

BA4BF6FB-BF42-4FA8-A1C8-6109062F7566.jpeg

60271257-2D28-403B-88C9-D3D830BD347B.jpeg

65B043D1-8231-4F79-BC1B-4CBE6CF00EC9.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

Manchester United 2-2 Liverpool (0-1 HT) @ Old Trafford 🌱. Premier League. 3.30pm. Back to M16 for the 2nd time in a few weeks and once again the visitors somehow 🫣 fail to win. In the end Salah rescued a late point. Diaz, Fernandes 🚀 and Mainoo also on target. Crowd 73,523.

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

University of Stirling 0-2 Heriot-Watt University (0-2 HT)… Queens Park Shield Final 🏆 @ John Brydson Arena 🌱. 10.04.24. 2pm. Great final between 2 top sides. HW on top in the 1st half and scored twice. An excellent defensive display, ending with 10 🔴, saw it out. Crowd 195.

IMG_7457.jpeg

IMG_7458.jpeg

IMG_7459.jpeg

Heart of Midlothian B 4-2 Bo’ness United (0-1 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. 7.45pm. Lowland League. United ahead with a stunning 🚀 free kick but the young hosts produced a great 2nd half fightback 🔥 to lead 4-1. Bo’ness with a late consolation. Crowd 475.

IMG_7460.jpeg

IMG_7461.jpeg

IMG_7462.jpeg

Vale of Leithen 0-8 Dunipace (0-2 HT) @ Victoria Park 🌱. East of Scotland Football League 1st Division. 2.30pm. Bottom hosted top in difficult conditions 🌧️. The visitors closed in on the title with a big win. 6 of the goals coming in 26 2nd half minutes 🔥. Crowd 41.

IMG_7463.jpeg

IMG_7464.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

FC Mersey City 2-1 Moers (1-0 HT) @ Clubmoor Playing Fields 3 🌱. 11am. Liverpool Business Houses 🏡 League 4th Division. The home side ahead and doubled their advantage before holding off a late comeback from the visitors. 🧮 Crowd 7.

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7469.jpeg

Civil Service Strollers 1-0 Gretna 2008 (1-0 HT) @ Christie Gillies Park 🌱. 7.45pm. Lowland League. A goal ⚽️ on 35 minutes proved to be the difference. The narrow loss keeps Gretna ahead of Edinburgh Uni on goal difference ahead of their final day game 💥 on Saturday. Crowd 76.

IMG_7474.jpeg

IMG_7475.jpeg

IMG_7476.jpeg

Earlston Rhymers 5-5 Chirnside (3-2 HT) @ Gordon Community Sports Field 🌱. Border Amateur Division A. Incredible game which ended 10 v 9 all for 2 yellows 🟡🔴. The visitors came back from 4-2 down to lead 5-4 before Earlston equalised with an injury time free kick 🚀. Crowd 64.

IMG_7478.jpeg

IMG_7479.jpeg

IMG_7477.jpeg

IMG_7480.jpeg

Edited by Crow

1 hour ago, Crow said:

FC Mersey City 2-1 Moers (1-0 HT) @ Clubmoor Playing Fields 3 🌱. 11am. Liverpool Business Houses 🏡 League 4th Division. The home side ahead and doubled their advantage before holding off a late comeback from the visitors. 🧮 Crowd 7.

IMG_7467.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7469.jpeg

If intentional, I appreciate the little background touches in your shots.  The Seaforth Docks end of that freight line loomed large over yesterday's pre-match walk on Crosby Beach.  If not, still great photos.

Edited by Red Kite

15 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

If intentional, I appreciate the little background touches in your shots.  The Seaforth Docks end of that freight line loomed large over yesterday's pre-match walk on Crosby Beach.  If not, still great photos.

Was my - pretty amateur lol - attempts at getting a background in at what is really just a collection of pitches @Red Kite. Was lucky with that train coming past at the right time ! 

Livingston 3-2 St Johnstone 

A rare Sunday outing for us to complete West Lothian. Livingston Women play at the Spaghettihad and therefore we were more than happy to pay £4 each to watch them play St Johnstone in the SWPL2.

Brain of Britain here assumed we'd be in the mainstand. However after a full lap of the stadium I found out that we were not. Gets the steps in I suppose. We don't get to Women's football as often as we should. Always enjoy it when we do go and this game added to that.

Livi looking to catch Kilmarnock for the promotion Playoff place. Unfortunately for them they started dreadfully and found themselves two-nil down after a couple of great finishes from the impressive Ellie Cowan and Steph Simson. Livi are level by half time after a stramash and then a finely Taken goal to get us in at 2-2 after a fantastic first half. The second was always going to struggle to live up to it and it did. However, a fantastic triple save from a penalty kept Saints level before Livi finally broke their resistance with a few minutes left to keep their promotion challenge alive.

I must mention "Crock's box". The place above the mainstand where Sky Film and Crocker commentates from looks a bit precarious. Fair enough if it's fine but not the most hospitable looking. 

Enjoyed our visit to Almondvale. It's not nearly as shite as folk say it is.

20240421_141356.jpg

20240421_142422.jpg

20240421_132107.jpg

7 hours ago, Crow said:

Manchester United 2-2 Liverpool (0-1 HT) @ Old Trafford 🌱. Premier League. 3.30pm. Back to M16 for the 2nd time in a few weeks and once again the visitors somehow 🫣 fail to win. In the end Salah rescued a late point. Diaz, Fernandes 🚀 and Mainoo also on target. Crowd 73,523.

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

IMG_7456.jpeg

Is Old Trafford looking as tatty as English fans say it is? I went in 2012 for the Olympics and I thought it was pretty good back then but that was 12 years ago.. 

On 20/04/2024 at 16:18, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Edinburgh United 2-4 Tweedmouth Rangers

In Switz... sorry Edinburgh today for some East Second Action. Any locals know the architectural reasonings behind the stand? It's magnificent. 

First time ever seeing Edinburgh United and a first visit to Paties Road. You find it in amongst Cricket Pitches, Tennis Courts and Big houses. Proper midden this bit. A eventful first half sees the sides in level despite the visitors missing a penalty. Tweedmouth run riot in the second half. Two consolation goals for United take the shine off the performance but Tweedmouth secure a valuable three points that could go a long way to relegating United and saving themselves. 

Paties Road is fantastic. Cannie believe we didn't come years ago. We'll worth your time if you're looking for football in Edinburgh 

20240420_152707.jpg

20240420_155750.jpg

20240420_150136.jpg

I used to have a copy of a booklet that someone had posted somewhere about Paties Road- it was originally built for use of Heriot Watt University. 

It was the revived Edinburgh City's first ground too. 

Until fairly recently there was a nursery school in the back of the stand which made for a bizarre visit!

Posh neighbours Merchiston Castle School moved out to that campus from the Merchiston area. Their old campus hosted an FA Cup Tie between Queens Park and Nottingham Forest in Eighteen Oatcake. There's not a lot of people know that. 

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I used to have a copy of a booklet that someone had posted somewhere about Paties Road- it was originally built for use of Heriot Watt University. 

It was the revived Edinburgh City's first ground too. 

Until fairly recently there was a nursery school in the back of the stand which made for a bizarre visit!

Posh neighbours Merchiston Castle School moved out to that campus from the Merchiston area. Their old campus hosted an FA Cup Tie between Queens Park and Nottingham Forest in Eighteen Oatcake. There's not a lot of people know that. 

Splendid. Thought you or @HibeeJibee would have known

Croeso.  Hiked uphill from the beautiful Colwyn Bay beach for some Cymru Premier action, at Llanelian Road in Old Colwyn.  The pitch is on a plateau and looked in good nick, with 924 turning up to enjoy the last home game of the season in the fresh North Wales air.  Anything involving TNS is a waste of time, but Colwyn Bay vs Barry Town is a decent match up.  After poor finishing and some good blocks by Barry , The Seagulls nodded in a close-range winner.  However, other results meant they will be preparing for life in Cymru North next season.

20240421_140753.jpg

20240421_140456.jpg

Edited by Red Kite

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Is Old Trafford looking as tatty as English fans say it is? I went in 2012 for the Olympics and I thought it was pretty good back then but that was 12 years ago.. 

I went there for the last Rugby League World Cup Final.  It defo needs a spruce up, but doubt the current owners care.  I was at Tynecastle for our women's cup final and it looks smarter to me.  Stewarding and staff were a lot friendlier than OT and I noticed that even the invitations for the media seating were polite.

12 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Union Berlin 1-5 Bayern Munich

Not so much random as I’ve had a membership for a couple of years but finally got the chance to see Union at home, and result aside, it didn’t disappoint. The best ground I’ve ever been to.

Bayern were totally ordinary in the first half and were fortunate to be going in ahead, let alone leading by two. Second half was a different story as they began to flex their muscles and added another three in the space of 15 minutes. Found it quite interesting that nobody left until the full time whistle and some even stayed well beyond that! 

Thought you might be interested in this photo from 2004. Took the train out from Berlin for a nosey…

uuid6C41AF0F-2DAE-4C98-B64A-10CAD22E2A79library1type1mode1loctruecaptrue.thumb.jpeg.f4c069ac26e31ea043f1ea52c31a9edd.jpeg

Not very random but my season ticket doesn't do much work these days. Anyhoo, a superb evening in the Sneck and a fine opporchancity for fetching out the drone.
ICT 0 Raith Rovers 1. MoM shared by Dabrowski and the woodwork.
DJI_0524.thumb.jpg.ef1179c09752fe99420b2837dbba6f07.jpg

DJI_0532.thumb.jpg.ae2163fa21217545ccbdda4c7a43ac4f.jpg

IMG_9078.thumb.jpg.0d7d2ca7850bc246e95a5b72a875c3f9.jpg

IMG_9079.thumb.jpg.bd6cdca5cf608e4a382df5b340dd106c.jpg