Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Back down the road on Saturday and just in time to catch the kickoff at NDP. Rose 0 Spartans 1. Bonnyrigg unlucky not to get at least a point in a tight struggle although they relied overmuch on the long punt and lost out to a bit of quality from Blair Henderson with about 5 minutes left. Crowd a very healthy 1017.

IMG_9081.thumb.JPG.ad906525eb882e38093578b37edf5eb7.JPG

IMG_9082.thumb.JPG.9008d5dc291b3b82165f70b4b298574e.JPG

IMG_9083.thumb.JPG.51e13413372599159fa472c54dd95c19.JPG

Edited by The Mantis

Edinburgh South 2-0 Dalkeith Thistle, East of Scotland Second Division.

@Groundhopping Adventures' recent post about Paties Road reminded me I hadn't been there in over 15 years, so the chance of a Monday night game was too good to pass up.

The (groundsharing) hosts started the night 8 points behind Armadale and the final promotion spot but with 4 games in hand. They were much the brighter of the two sides early in the match and scored a howitzer of a free-kick to take the lead midway through the first half. This caused the three wee guys behind the far goal to finally start beating the drum they'd brought. Only drumming when you're winning. Dalkeith gradually came more and more into it and it was pretty even through the second half, until South converted a four-versus-zero player breakaway late on to win 2-0.

Big fan of the Edinburgh South away kit, all green with red numbers, no trim and no sponsor. They looked like old-fashioned goalies.

Paties Road is a fine and distinctive wee venue in an uncommonly posh area for a football ground. A choice of four pies too, I recommend the steak and haggis.

20240422_184708.jpg

20240422_193328.jpg

20240422_201422.jpg

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Edinburgh South 2-0 Dalkeith Thistle, East of Scotland Second Division.

@Groundhopping Adventures' recent post about Paties Road reminded me I hadn't been there in over 15 years, so the chance of a Monday night game was too good to pass up.

The (groundsharing) hosts started the night 8 points behind Armadale and the final promotion spot but with 4 games in hand. They were much the brighter of the two sides early in the match and scored a howitzer of a free-kick to take the lead midway through the first half. This caused the three wee guys behind the far goal to finally start beating the drum they'd brought. Only drumming when you're winning. Dalkeith gradually came more and more into it and it was pretty even through the second half, until South converted a four-versus-zero player breakaway late on to win 2-0.

Big fan of the Edinburgh South away kit, all green with red numbers, no trim and no sponsor. They looked like old-fashioned goalies.

Paties Road is a fine and distinctive wee venue in an uncommonly posh area for a football ground. A choice of four pies too, I recommend the steak and haggis.

20240422_184708.jpg

Must have lost a lot of fencing in the gales: the pitch was never visible from the back car park before.

Kennoway Star Hearts 0-2 Armadale Thistle

To Treaton Park Star (not Kennoway) to complete the real grounds in Fife. Still got Dunfermline and East Fife to do for the Groundhopping but do they even count?

This place is bizarre. From Livingston on Sunday we saw planes (Clydebank is better). From Troon, Irvine Vics or Dunbar (allegedly as we've not been) you see Trains. From Kennoway you see Tractors. A walk through several fields with horses make you wonder what on earth you've got yourself into but if you persevere you discover a tidy wee ground with lovely folk and superb tea. 

We actually saw the reverse fixture at the Volly in Septemer. Kennoway were victorious that night as well and were again in their black kit. Armadale with a frankly magnificent red and white hooped shirt. Think it would maybe be more at home on a rugby team but I loved it. Some purists will complain that Kennoway, Armadale and the Referee were all wearing black shorts.

Another ground with a huge slope sees Dale dominate the first half shooting down hill but can't find the target. Mastermind here says "advantage Kennoway shooting down hill second half". Needless to say Armadale won 2-0 to keep their promotion push on track. Star should be fine. There's enough rubbish below them. 7pm was cutting it a bit fine to get the game done before dark but we made it.

It's unique here. Well worth coming. The horses, the tractors the slope. Stoater.

20240423_193011.jpg

20240423_201849.jpg

20240423_203930.jpg

On 22/04/2024 at 20:39, The Mantis said:

Not very random but my season ticket doesn't do much work these days. Anyhoo, a superb evening in the Sneck and a fine opporchancity for fetching out the drone.
ICT 0 Raith Rovers 1. MoM shared by Dabrowski and the woodwork.

1. What a shame for Big Dunc. 
2. Stunning photos Mantis 👌

Lochore Welfare 0-4 Hill of Beath Hawthorn, East of Scotland League Cup Third Round.

A fine hat-trick from Ross Allum within 35 minutes killed this tie; the first a double nutmeg of defender and keeper after some trickery, the second a clever near-post header and the third smashed home from a one-on-one. It might be as many goals as I ever saw him score for Linlithgow Rose...

Lochore weren't bad, they played with pace and intensity, they just lacked a wee bit of skill compared with the Haws. A very tight pitch meant any loose touch in midfield immediately lead to a clattering. Highlight of any Lochore game is their keeper, who, let's just say, has considerably more athleticism than appearances would suggest. Last time I saw them he was the hero as they knocked much higher ranked LTHV out of a cup.

At least half a dozen dugs at this game, probably the highest dog-to-human ratio of any game I've been to. One was altogether too interested in my pie.

At half time there was the bonus of an amateur game over the wall, I think it was Benarty Astros v The Swifts AFC. Dunno what the score was but there was a fair bit of cheering later on.

20240423_192205.jpg

20240423_201757.jpg

20240423_192420.jpg

Edited by GordonS

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Kennoway Star Hearts 0-2 Armadale Thistle

To Treaton Park Star (not Kennoway) to complete the real grounds in Fife. Still got Dunfermline and East Fife to do for the Groundhopping but do they even count?

This place is bizarre. From Livingston on Sunday we saw planes (Clydebank is better). From Troon, Irvine Vics or Dunbar (allegedly as we've not been) you see Trains. From Kennoway you see Tractors. A walk through several fields with horses make you wonder what on earth you've got yourself into but if you persevere you discover a tidy wee ground with lovely folk and superb tea. 

We actually saw the reverse fixture at the Volly in Septemer. Kennoway were victorious that night as well and were again in their black kit. Armadale with a frankly magnificent red and white hooped shirt. Think it would maybe be more at home on a rugby team but I loved it. Some purists will complain that Kennoway, Armadale and the Referee were all wearing black shorts.

Another ground with a huge slope sees Dale dominate the first half shooting down hill but can't find the target. Mastermind here says "advantage Kennoway shooting down hill second half". Needless to say Armadale won 2-0 to keep their promotion push on track. Star should be fine. There's enough rubbish below them. 7pm was cutting it a bit fine to get the game done before dark but we made it.

It's unique here. Well worth coming. The horses, the tractors the slope. Stoater.

20240423_193011.jpg

20240423_201849.jpg

20240423_203930.jpg

I've heard a rumour you can see trains from Dunbar's ground..

ds20.thumb.jpg.473703079ee66217167cf27c38ef737e.jpg

Haddington Athletic 2 Dunbar United 1
East of Scotland League Cup

Perhaps Dunbar minds were on next Sunday's Cup Final rather than this East Lothian derby. Haddington scored early on, Dunbar passed up a few chances and then were the better team for the first part of the second half and grabbed their equaliser with a good strike. Haddington came back into it and were awarded a penalty at the end of the game. Decent crowd of 391 too.

Back in the Junior days this would have seen about 3 red cards and a paggar. Ah, happy times.. 

hadu6.thumb.jpg.832b40d464c9800e5a245cb45df79408.jpg

Paties Road hasn’t featured on here for a number of hours now. So to redress this, I went to see Edinburgh South v Stirling University EoS. 

A remarkable 2-1 win for the visitors who had went down to ten men after only eight minutes and then lost a goal from the ensuing penalty. It looked grim for them but they dug in and I’d say deserved to take something home to FUBAR.

Spoke to a nice chap from Cardiff who is up here for a two-week / eleven-game groundhopping bonanza. He’s going to some places I’ve never even heard of, and I’m no stranger to the bits of Scotland most people haven’t visited. Good on him!

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Sit in and listen to the local wireless, head down the alehouse for the big telly or get to a ground? After not being able to join the over 1,800 crowd at Marine for last night's Liverpool Senior Cup Final, headed to the Wirral version tonight.  Laird's had a man sent off for retaliation, after about 30 minutes..  They then scored an excellent goal, which was unusual in that crosses at this level are typically abysmal.  I thought their second was just enough of a foul to affect the defender, but they sneaked one in after a defensive mix up.  Most folk (except me) thought the third goal was meant as it sailed over the keeper.   I am old school and thought Capenhurst were a bit too nice, but congratulations Laird's on really digging in and winning the big one!

20240424_183715.jpg

20240424_212521.jpg

Edited by Red Kite

24 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Massive result at Oldbury Lane : Wick 0 Almondsbury 1 att 75+ (Glos County) Deserved win for the struggling visitors, should have been a bigger margin.Wick seldom threatened in their last game of season, battle to avoid the drop livens up.chrome_screenshot_17139916335212.thumb.png.320e3078f156dc94793f7756c5af31ad.png20240424_1953403.thumb.jpg.f20d1775049213803fb06f8c5d6eb293.jpg20240424_2054252.thumb.jpg.1fa5201a50b5f7a6fdb97eacbf896050.jpg

All I want for Christmas is a Hardwicke.... 

...away kit. 

duns1.thumb.jpg.baad894aac767b019d4f923929ccc4f3.jpg

duns2.thumb.jpg.9fccce5a341210296179f8ca5be7c6d8.jpg

Duns 5th goal (or thereabouts)

Duns 5 Earlston Rhymers 3

A wee venture into the unreal world of the Borders Amateur League tonight. I was at Duns first game as an East of Scotland club (they played down the road at the High School) and saw an East of Scotland game against Hawick here at New Hawthorn Park. 

The Dingers have since gone back to the Borders Amateurs although there is now a nice small stand here since my last visit (the seats came from Stoke City apparently). Earlston isn't too far from Duns as I remember so I'm not sure if this counts as a derby match or not (Chirnside are probably the local rivals). It was a pretty decent spectacle with plenty of goals and worth the contribution I gave to the club (no official admission fee). Pie wasn't too bad either.. 

Lochgelly Albert 3-3 Bathgate Thistle, East of Scotland Third Division. Attendance 90.

Lochgelly found themselves 3-1 in front against their promotion-chasing opponents midway through the second half and although they'd had the better of the chances there had been little between the sides. Their second was the penalty in the clip below. As darkness drew in I heard the ref saying there would be three additional minutes and in the third of those Bathgate pulled it back to 3-2. Cue goal-net stramash to get the ball back, standard booking for the keeper. Incredibly, Bathgate snatched their equaliser within a minute and it finished 3-3.

I nearly left early too as I was meeting a pal.

This is one of my favourite grounds of its size, it's so tidy and well looked-after. A credit to the club and their volunteers - and a surprisingly beautiful view to the south. Easy to forget Lochgelly is basically on top of a hill, the ground sits at 165 metres, though the wind tonight was a sharp reminder. 

20240424_192924.jpg

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Spoke to a nice chap from Cardiff who is up here for a two-week / eleven-game groundhopping bonanza. He’s going to some places I’ve never even heard of, and I’m no stranger to the bits of Scotland most people haven’t visited. Good on him!

Now very curious about where he's heading.

29 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Now very curious about where he's heading.

Let’s see what I can remember…

Edinburgh cluster this week: Easthouses, Edinburgh South, Arniston, Newtongrange and Ormiston. Thoroughly populist compared to what follows! 

Then he’s doing loads of grounds in the Forth & Endrick League next week.

He’s coming back later in the year to base himself at Aviemore where he’s completing some Speyside amateur league (all six grounds in one trip) over the course of another week or so. Then he’s got his eye on completing some amateur league in Moray. Taking in the likes of Aberlour Villa and Cromdale.

7 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Let’s see what I can remember…

Edinburgh cluster this week: Easthouses, Edinburgh South, Arniston, Newtongrange and Ormiston. Thoroughly populist compared to what follows! 

Then he’s doing loads of grounds in the Forth & Endrick League next week.

He’s coming back later in the year to base himself at Aviemore where he’s completing some Speyside amateur league (all six grounds in one trip) over the course of another week or so. Then he’s got his eye on completing some amateur league in Moray. Taking in the likes of Aberlour Villa and Cromdale.

Forth & Endrick looks like it has a lot of nice places to visit and it's a summer league, though I'm a bit put off by the gazillion midgies per square metre. 

The Moray Welfare League though, that's hardcore. Personally I draw the line at public parks but that's a beguiling list of places to visit. https://mdwfa.leaguerepublic.com/index.html 

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Forth & Endrick looks like it has a lot of nice places to visit and it's a summer league, though I'm a bit put off by the gazillion midgies per square metre. 

The Moray Welfare League though, that's hardcore. Personally I draw the line at public parks but that's a beguiling list of places to visit. https://mdwfa.leaguerepublic.com/index.html 

A lot of really nice grounds, midges can be a problem, especially at Aberfoyle, which I will never go to watch another game at, was unbelievable the night I was there.

Agree, usually draw the line at basic railed off/park pitches as there arent any structures etc. Sure the Cardiff chap will enjoy the scenery at least - should be knackered after doing those games, fair play. Watching highlights from afar - my next visit due in August.

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

A lot of really nice grounds, midges can be a problem, especially at Aberfoyle, which I will never go to watch another game at, was unbelievable the night I was there.

The same Craig. Ended up walking round and round the pitch with my hood up. Dire 🦟.