Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Edinburgh City 0-1 University of Stirling East of Scotland Cup Final. Entertaining game played in front of decent crowd on a horrible night weather wise. Surprised there was only one goal in it as both keepers made a number good saves and both sides missed a couple of sitters each. 

IMG_9709.jpeg

IMG_9710.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Edinburgh City 0-1 University of Stirling (0-0 HT) @ Meadowbank Stadium 🌱. East of Scotland Cup 🏆 Final. 8pm. Great game in awful weather 💦. City made to pay for a number of missed chances as Stirling grabbed what proved to be the winner 17 minutes from time. Crowd around 425.

IMG_6576.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6546.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

Thought i'd chance my luck this morning on the sale date of Atalanta tickets for their away game at Liverpool next Thursday. After a slight hitch, where it said i was ineligible to buy (i had told the truth and entered my UK passport details and place of birth as Scotland), i simply picked a place of birth in Italy from a drop down menu and using the same genuine UK passport number was the proud owner of a ticket!

Staggered it was that easy, looking forward to being in an away end with some mental Italian ultras, hope they don't beat me up!  

Chelsea 4-3 Man Utd

Ended up getting a ticket for this at the last minute due to illness, which ended up being a real stroke of luck. Barely any fans left in the home end by the time the penalty was awarded for 3-3. Fortunately, I make a habit of staying at games until the end, but I was very tempted to leave early, with the game looking nail on to finish with an away win.

0?ui=2&ik=f9856a2db5&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1724813995572920091&th=18ead9676a8f3dcb&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8a84GAEG2Hs4P0YMTVJB1JTB9dp2U63E-wthhtSkXO9LobCmqM9tMUIzJe9gsUoiBH9JdCD9IpIlVotryWKUtQzSAaSmYRyxLGeqcyBVPMlM98nRIBnPYbOzU&disp=emb&realattid=18ead96632e6cf504e21

Edited by FifeSons

21 hours ago, Christophe said:

Thought i'd chance my luck this morning on the sale date of Atalanta tickets for their away game at Liverpool next Thursday. After a slight hitch, where it said i was ineligible to buy (i had told the truth and entered my UK passport details and place of birth as Scotland), i simply picked a place of birth in Italy from a drop down menu and using the same genuine UK passport number was the proud owner of a ticket!

Staggered it was that easy, looking forward to being in an away end with some mental Italian ultras, hope they don't beat me up!  

Reported 😉

Heart of Midlothian B 5-3 East Stirlingshire (4-2 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. Lowland League. Great game with the visitors equalising from 2-0 down and then pulling it back to 4-3 but a 5th settled it. Crowd around 275. 

IMG_6670.jpeg

IMG_6672.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg

Easthouses Lily 2 Tweedmouth Rangers 0 HT. 

League game switched a modest 20-miles westwards around the bypass to Broxburn as the pitch at Easthouses has been deemed “troubled” since about Halloween.

The Lily smartly played with the hurricane behind their back in the first half, scoring two decent goals.  Second half will likely be a different matter of course. 

Crowd was about 19 at kick off, but has shot up closer to 30 now. 

Anyway glad to get a game in at Albyn Park as I’ve not made it here yet, and I wont be coming back for a Lowland League game next season.

EDIT - finished 3-0 here in West Lothian as the home team from Midlothian prevailed over the visitors from England. Tweedmouth made zero use of the hurricane in the second half, albeit in fairness to them the wind has tapered off to just “blowy” now.

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC
Spotted a plane to Doha

Blyth Spartans 1-2 Rushall Olympic

On the way back up the road and stayed a night in Newcastle so we could tick off one of the Groundhopping Meccas, Croft Park in Blyth.

Unbeknownst to us this was a relegation six pointer with both Blyth and today's visitors from Walsall finding themselves at the wrong end of the table. 

We ended up standing at all different parts of this magnificent arena. Mostly to avoid the Blyth fans asking the ref if he was a man or a woman. The crime the ref committed was to have a man bun. In the first half, playing into the strong wind, Blyth were mince. Two nil to Rushall at half time with two excellent goals in front of their small band of fans. Who have had to travel further to get to Blyth today than we'll have to to get back to Fife. With the wind Blyth come into it second half. A superb goal sees them knocking on the door of an unlikely point. A sending off kills the momentum and Spartans are in bother with only two game left.

Get down here. This ground is magnificent, not really a Scottish equivalent. Just great. Loved it. Brilliant old stand and a whole ground to wander round. Go, all of you.

20240406_162429.jpg

20240406_161749.jpg

20240406_161253.jpg

I had planned on going to a junior game, Shotts Bon Accord or Tayport where my two main choices. But both fell foul of the horrible weather this week. So played it safe and settled for a game with an artificial pitch. Raith Rovers V Ayr united. Rovers won 2-1 to maintain their push for promotion. Crowd was 3579. Ticket £22 programme £3 with a free match poster thrown in as well, which was designed my a young Rovers fan. 

The first half was a largely non event as both defences were comfortably on top with very little/next to no goal mouth action in very windy conditions. Just as the fans though thought it would be 0-0 at half time. Birthday boy Dylan Easton picked the ball up on the left, ran into the penalty area and curled a beautiful shot into the top corner to give Rovers the lead. 

The second half started with a slight delay as a Raith fan appeared to be injured folding up a flag in the disused stand, medical staff were called and they were taken away, an ambulance  was called (hope they are ok). 

Ayr showed a bit more ambition at the start of the second half and equalised when charmers cut in from the right and curled a left foot shot past the Raith goalkeeper. Ayr seemed to be on top now with the ever stronger wind at their backs, I didn't understand why the Raith Keeper kept launching his kicks long and high because he struggled to get near the half way line. 

Raith though d8d manage to take the lead when they next got forward causing panic in the penalty area a player was fouled and the referee pointed pointed to the spot. Jack Hamilton sent the keeper the wrong way to give Raith the lead and ultimately the win. The referee next was kind enough to give birthday boy Easton a card, albeit a yellow one rather than birthday... (I'll get my coat.. 😅)

Second half was much better than the first, But Raith won't be concerned, and Ayr look comfortable in midtable.

20240406_160049.jpg

Headed to New Brighton for some fresh air and a pre-match meal of sausage, chips and (controversially for some) gravy, then to Ashville for their home game.  Opponents Eccleshall are safely-placed in the North West Counties League Division 1 South, but Ashville could have done with the points.  Ashville manager Gary Jones got out of the dugout to play the full 90 minutes in central midfield at 46 years of age, showing the awareness and passing of an ex-EFL long-serving pro.  For the train nerds, I missed a new Merseyrail Electrics 777 going the other way towards Liverpool.  The gentleman on the wall is club-founder John Dennett MBE.   The league did a nice article about him on their website.

20240406_145233.jpg

20240406_141841.jpg

Edited by Red Kite

Bonnyrigg Rose 2-2 Peterhead (1-0 HT) @ New Dundas Park 🌱. 3pm. Somehow this went ahead despite all the rain 💦 & wind 💨. The Rose looked to have won it 🚀 but the visitors equalised deep into stoppage time. A vital point each at opposite ends of cinch SPFL League 2. Crowd 625.

IMG_6729.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

IMG_6731.jpeg

Ashville manager Gary Jones got out of the dugout to play the full 90 minutes in central midfield at 46 years of age

Must be a New Brighton thing as the old English League club set the following record:

In these last years, the Rakers set one final record. On 15 March 1947, manager Neil McBain was forced to play in goal at Hartlepools; becoming the oldest player, at 51 years and 120 days, to feature in a Football League match. Rakers were beaten 3–0 in the game

Neil McBain was born in Campbelltown and played 3 times for Scotland. He also managed Estudiantes in Argentina 1949-1951.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_McBain

Had not realised that about New Brighton @Eednud.  Excellent.  Thanks.

My dad still recounts an away trip to (the then mighty) Burnley, when The Rakers played them in the FA Cup.

Glasgow Perthshire 1 Cumbernauld Utd 4. Keppoch Park, WOSFL Div 2. Shire take the lead early on but that was as good as it got.

The East was pretty much washed out so got myself a ticket to Queen Street, couple of pints in The Raven and The Pot Still, then across the road for a quick run on the 75 bus up to Possilpark. Took the chance to get some aerial shots of Saracen Park as I never managed to get to an Ashfield game there.
A bit of chaos on the trains but caught the 1615 back to Embra and a had a visit to the Halfway House between trains, only to discover that the Borders line trains were off and had to get a bus out to Midlothian. Chatting to 3 youngish guys in the pub for half an hour, only to find that one of them was the son of my ex-boss and I had last seen him 20 years ago when he was about 10.

Drony notes

Spoiler

Took the drone along to get the Saracen Park shots as the two grounds are only a couple of hundred yards apart- you can see Saracen Park begind the goals in the first shot. Not very experienced and the wind nearly took my toy away. Downloaded the route this morning and my poor wee drone was all over Possil and Ashfield, going backwards at times, but I slowly got it back by flying low, just missing a few roofs and trees. Note for @Le Tout P'ti FC, no Tinto this week, but I think I got Dumgoyne for you instead...

DJI_0473.thumb.jpg.327558530c5fe390cf5d01e139173ad2.jpg

IMG_9001.thumb.JPG.95b7df7bd41e24035215a2eaad61149e.JPG

IMG_9003.thumb.JPG.8f559681f88d25faa5a7f17706cbe705.JPG

IMG_9006.thumb.JPG.a4fa3b375bf2c98a843ffad2e08b9440.JPG

DJI_0474.thumb.jpg.9179bbf4830134836746d7edaee68bcb.jpg

IMG_9013.thumb.JPG.7b4212f1c7fc85323ff992509f2f536a.JPG

DJI_0475.thumb.jpg.8c0fe4c79ad82020e5a8b2e683b57e6e.jpg

DJI_0477.thumb.jpg.ec9d3886b2feb58dbf60525e93aeb65a.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

Dulwich Hamlet 0-4 Enfield Town in the Isthmian Premier Division.

Family holiday in London this week and staying nearby, and I’d fancied a visit to Champion Hill for a while, so off I went with my one-year-old strapped to me. Not the recipe for sampling their famed range of craft beers or getting in the busy parts of the ground where the singing is, but hey ho.

Dulwich are a big club at this level: they sell out most weeks and an impressive 3,334 there yesterday. With the beers, food choices, banners, singing, items on sale at the club shop, general club ethos, etc it’s football hipsterdom, but I can get behind that, they do it well, and plenty on show that I’d love to see Queens do.

Enfield Town have their own story. Enfield were a force in the English non-league scene in the 1980s, but mismanagement led to the fans starting Town as a new club about 20 years ago. The original Enfield are still kicking around in the league below.

As for the game itself, Dulwich were honking: plodding, toothless up front, and scarcely looked like scoring. Enfield Town looked like a team at least a league above and might soon be: they’re in good shape for a playoff for the Conference South, while this result pretty much finishes off Dulwich’s chances of getting there.

Man of the match was Enfieid’s Sam Youngs. Not for his goal (which was a cracker - volleyed in the make it 1-0), but for bringing his wife and dog along, who happened to be sitting directly behind us and kept Adamski junior entertained throughout.

A3C39459-8AEC-47D7-BB22-DB91E7E5B604.jpeg

28E5BD0B-CA0E-4A8C-8950-C3736C568091.jpeg

8B4D4DEB-21BA-4B6B-B4A8-C8CCCA044538.jpeg

I agree the hipster vibe at Dulwich Hamlet is pretty cool @Adamski.  I went for the hipster treble.  Went to watch a game down there when living in Hackney and working in Shoreditch.  Decent ale.

Off to The Walks tonight. 

Kings Lynn Town v Chorley.

7.45ko 

It's getting tight with a few games to go. They really need something tonight but Chorley are flying high (4th). 

PVblNBG.jpeg

Mon the Linnets :)

Glos County Lge at Pomphrey Hill Playing fields : Bromley Heath Utd 2 Almondsbury 1 att 35/40 Just a late consolation for the Almonds as they stay in bottom three, not a bad game, plenty of effort but lacking in quality. With Avonmouth F.C already champions its the relegation scrap keeping things going.20240409_195633.thumb.jpg.46ad17e36d09278f52dd791d190e2bf2.jpg

Kings Lynn Town 1-0 Chorley

Att 683

Pretty even first half. Both sides canceling each other out. Margetts strike late in the half denied by the offside flag. 

Five minutes into the second half, Lynn take the lead. Sam Walker's corner was emphatically met by the head of McFadden. Great goal sending the home fans into a frenzy.

kVqF93G.jpeg

MoM Jones denied Chorley's Johnson his penalty and followed up with two more great saves late on. Vital win for the Linnets now five points clear of the relegation zone. 

OrseRuj.jpeg

A disappointing crowd if you ask me. Understandable on a cold Tuesday night i guess.  Glad I went. Home fans bouncing at the end. Rightly so. A courageous performance from Lynn who have taken points off every team in the top four. Their poor start to the season has really cost them dear. 

Edited by Trackdaybob
Spelling n stuff