Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Just arrived at The Walks. 

Kings Lynn Town v Farsley Celtic. 

Lovely day for it. 

Lynn on the back of two wins in a row for the first time this season. Can they clime from the relegation zone?? 

This is Anfield...Sports Community Centre.  Lower Breck vs Irlam on the artificial surface, in the top flight of the North West Counties Football League.  Missed the Breck equaliser waiting for chips and gravy.  Currently got a chirizo and chili sausage roll and an Irn Bru half time snack, to go.  Amazing  menu, including siu mai.  Their midweek night is Thursday, if anyone is having a long weekend to see the big two.

20240224_150905.jpg

20240224_153708.jpg

Lochgelly Albert 2-1 Fauldhouse United 

Another fixture that is now much more local for us than it used to be. Back in our favourite League for Lochgelly Albert v Fauldhouse United. 

Albert apparently take their name from village of Albert in France. Scene of some horrendous fighting during the battle of the Somme. As sad as this is, it makes a change from it being Queen Victoria's husband!

The hosts come into this game with 5 wins from their last 6 looking to make a late season assault on the three promotion places. Resplendent in black and yellow hoops, a combination I've always quite liked, the hosts dominate much of the game. A late second yellow leads to a fantastic freekick from Fauldhouse that gives them some hope. A late barage almost leads to the most unlikely point but the hosts hold on.

Purvis Park is a fantastic set up for the 9th tier. Grounds much further up the pyramid should take note. You can see where there used to be banked terracing surrounding the park, and how this small ground apparently hosted 13000 folk in 1948. They have of my favourite things at football. The sarcastic auld guys that congregate behind the goal, make comments but don't resort to the sexism, homophobia or general nastiness of many. We'll definitely be back.

20240224_145417.jpg

20240224_154507(0).jpg

20240224_154507(0).jpg

At Lodge Road for Southern Lge : Yate Town (Bristol) v Bideford (north Devon) 1-0 att 258. An early og which flew into the net, was enough to give the 'Bluebirds' all 3 points v the 'Robins'. The visitors didn't create enough chances to level, while the hosts played some decent stuff - overplaying and wasteful at times. Good to get a game at least, not a bad standard.20240224_161025.thumb.jpg.dd2f501362aa7121887c20e0454d98ec.jpg20240224_145531.thumb.jpg.606c9f94342409bfb2756f1b43a2a8a2.jpg

Just now, Andy groundhopper said:

At Lodge Road for Southern Lge : Yate Town (Bristol) v Bideford (north Devon) 1-0 att 258. An early og which flew into the net, was enough to give the 'Bluebirds' all 3 points v the 'Robins'. The visitors didn't create enough chances to level, while the hosts played some decent stuff - overplaying and wasteful at times. Good to get a game at least, not a bad standard.20240224_161025.thumb.jpg.dd2f501362aa7121887c20e0454d98ec.jpg20240224_145531.thumb.jpg.606c9f94342409bfb2756f1b43a2a8a2.jpg

Been there, Yate's crowd has fell away!

Aston Villa 4-2 Nottingham Forest at Villa Park in the Premier League. 

This was a hugely enjoyable and entertaining game.

Villa motored into a three-goal lead within forty minutes, and in that time looked like they would score every time they entered the opposition half, especially when they worked the ball into Bailey and Ramsey.

Forest then scored out of nothing with virtually the last kick before half-time, and Gibbs-White quickly added another just after play resumed. Origi arguably should have completed a miraculous comeback but fluffed wide when through with Martinez. Villa regained their control of the game after that and the impressive Bailey added a fourth.

Over the piece, Villa were the better team and deserved to win - but probably made it more complicated than it needed to be. 

Watkins is an outstanding centre-forward; superb movement, great intelligence and scores such an impressive variety of goals. McGinn was great, but several  other good performances from Villa players too, most notably the aforementioned Bailey.

My afternoon was slightly dampened when I checked my phone to see the Aberdeen score, but you can't have it all.

A great view from the Trinity Upper, too - basically right on the halfway line. 

image.png.82e123d3030628728db5a0b3de469491.png

image.png.6e7ffd575b0eb37af42d770793f51503.png

Kings Lynn Town 0-0 Farsley Celtic 

Att 884

A point lifts the Linnets out of the relegation zone. They finished the stronger but a draw the fair result. 

I hadn't been down the coast for a month or two.

Dunbar 1 Sauchie 1.

Dunbar scored early on and were content to defend their lead in the second half against a determined Sauchie who got their equaliser in the 91st minute. It was one of those that was headed off the line so I'm not sure if it went in or not. Anyway Sauchie deserved it so not complaining. 

ds3.thumb.jpg.ca4ee10d4bc3c5abb6895a6fc214ba62.jpg

Whitson heads in Dunbar's opener

ds20.thumb.jpg.5ff7e889925fd318077a379d1c5020b7.jpg

A train. Toot toot! 

15 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I hadn't been down the coast for a month or two.

Dunbar 1 Sauchie 1.

Dunbar scored early on and were content to defend their lead in the second half against a determined Sauchie who got their equaliser in the 91st minute. It was one of those that was headed off the line so I'm not sure if it went in or not. Anyway Sauchie deserved it so not complaining. 

ds3.thumb.jpg.ca4ee10d4bc3c5abb6895a6fc214ba62.jpg

Whitson heads in Dunbar's opener

ds20.thumb.jpg.5ff7e889925fd318077a379d1c5020b7.jpg

A train. Toot toot! 

A class 66 I'll have you know #zips up anorak#

Had no idea this thread existed, it's a cracker. So sorry for the belated post....

Sat 3rd Feb, Brighton 4-1 Crystal Palace

Wanted to take my eight year old to a Premiership game for his birthday, but a combination of absurd ticketing practices by EPL clubs and dates, we ended up at the AMEX. Great stadium, padded seat and everything. I had no idea prior that this was a 'derby'.

Brighton strolled it, with a wee Ayrshire fella running the show in the centre of the park. Brighton three up after half an hour, and I witnessed the bizarre sight of Olise coming on at half time, before chasing down a long ball, stopping and walking off.

Great day out and I forgot you can get a half time beer! f**k you Old Firm.

IMG_20240203_165624.jpg

IMG_20240203_130502.jpg

Added to this.....

Sat 18 Feb, Hurlford 3-4 Glenafton

Proper fitba this time, to a local junior side in the WOSFL Premier.

Better standard than I expected, and an enjoyable game despite it pishing doon for 90 minutes. Hurlford up 3-0 with 20 minutes to go, before a quickfire double and two penalties gave the visitors the win.

Clear to see that the crowd was really mixed, mothers and grandmothers with pushchairs, weans and auld b*****ds moaning at the ref.

Edited by Scooby_Doo
Wrong opposition team!

10 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

A class 66 I'll have you know #zips up anorak#

You kept it "layman", by not adding that's it's a locomotive.  That's a slippery slope (embankment?).  I have found myself noting which of the new Merseyrail Electric trains I have ridden on before.  Worrying!

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Had no idea this thread existed, it's a cracker. So sorry for the belated post....

Sat 3rd Feb, Brighton 4-1 Crystal Palace

Wanted to take my eight year old to a Premiership game for his birthday, but a combination of absurd ticketing practices by EPL clubs and dates, we ended up at the AMEX. Great stadium, padded seat and everything. I had no idea prior that this was a 'derby'.

Brighton strolled it, with a wee Ayrshire fella running the show in the centre of the park. Brighton three up after half an hour, and I witnessed the bizarre sight of Olise coming on at half time, before chasing down a long ball, stopping and walking off.

Great day out and I forgot you can get a half time beer! f**k you Old Firm.

IMG_20240203_165624.jpg

IMG_20240203_130502.jpg

Fantastic ground, with superb transport links.  A great game to pick  with the historical needle between the sides, but without the divvies you sometimes get in the crowd.  Plus, BG.  I hope Scooby Junior enjoyed it.

22 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Lochgelly Albert 2-1 Fauldhouse United 

Another fixture that is now much more local for us than it used to be. Back in our favourite League for Lochgelly Albert v Fauldhouse United. 

Albert apparently take their name from village of Albert in France. Scene of some horrendous fighting during the battle of the Somme. As sad as this is, it makes a change from it being Queen Victoria's husband!

The hosts come into this game with 5 wins from their last 6 looking to make a late season assault on the three promotion places. Resplendent in black and yellow hoops, a combination I've always quite liked, the hosts dominate much of the game. A late second yellow leads to a fantastic freekick from Fauldhouse that gives them some hope. A late barage almost leads to the most unlikely point but the hosts hold on.

Purvis Park is a fantastic set up for the 9th tier. Grounds much further up the pyramid should take note. You can see where there used to be banked terracing surrounding the park, and how this small ground apparently hosted 13000 folk in 1948. They have of my favourite things at football. The sarcastic auld guys that congregate behind the goal, make comments but don't resort to the sexism, homophobia or general nastiness of many. We'll definitely be back.

20240224_145417.jpg

20240224_154507(0).jpg

20240224_154507(0).jpg

One of my favourite grounds and a great place to watch a game on a sunny day. The view to the south is surprisingly impressive, it's easy to forget how high up Lochgelly is.

21 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Been there, Yate's crowd has fell away!

Most Bristol non league clubs crowds have dwindled, lots of the old guys dying off , youngsters having too many choices, the only real increase is over at Bath City where they've grown to around the thousand mark. (prob students, locals, those anti rugby etc) Plus the big number of non league clubs in the Bristol area is still massive.

Wolves 1-0 Sheffield United at Molineux in the Premier League. 

This was my second game of the weekend, but paled in comparison to Saturday's entertainment at Villa Park.

Wolves just about did enough to win, but it was no more than a 6/10 performance. Sheffield United's lack of quality at Premier League level was glaringly obvious. 

In fairness, the home fans made a decent noise throughout, but this was certainly not one that will live long in my memory. 

image.png.649f151435ea065eaf4635a46a037a5e.png

8 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Fantastic ground, with superb transport links.  A great game to pick  with the historical needle between the sides, but without the divvies you sometimes get in the crowd.  Plus, BG.  I hope Scooby Junior enjoyed it.

Funnily enough, I spent far too long worrying about the train as there wasn't much info on the logistics, but in reality you just walk on and off the train. Despite the 30,000+ crowd, the train queue moved quickly.

And yes, Scrappy Doo loved it.

40 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Funnily enough, I spent far too long worrying about the train as there wasn't much info on the logistics, but in reality you just walk on and off the train. Despite the 30,000+ crowd, the train queue moved quickly.

And yes, Scrappy Doo loved it.

Excellent.