Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Greenock Juniors 1 Thorn Athletic 1 HT. A first trip to Ravenscraig Stadium for this local derby (ish).

Had a lovely morning wandering around Greenock in the sunshine:

Big cruise ship ✅

Waverley paddle steamer ✅

Wyllieum museum ✅

Lyle Hill ✅

Successfully constructed, launched and put into service Calmac ferries ❌❌

The game started at a fair lick. Thorn scored after about 30 seconds. Greenock equalised late on but sadly I was looking away from the scene of what was described as a “keystone cops goal”. 

Met some nice men in the tearoom at half time who told me about the time they went to Hampden to see Greenock in the cup final. The next teams to grace the Hampden pitch? Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt.

Crowd is pushing 50 now, roughly doubling since kick off.

IMG_2053.jpeg

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

Downfield 2-1 Coupar Angus

In the late 19th century one of the most historic clubs in football donated their black and white kits to a small club in a far flung corner of the world. In Italy Juventus also received some tops from Notts County.

Today we're in Downfield for the Spiders of the North. Where "boot it Downfield" can mean two different things. Where the Queen's Park of the Midland League call home. 

Once you've not made the mistake of trying to enter the gym and actually find there entrance you're met with a stoater. Clubhouse one said, seated stand(!) at the other, and open standing behind the goals. Plenty of kids in both Dundee and United strips. Good crowd, helped by neither big team playing till tomorrow of course. 

You find when you mostly watch football as a neutral that referees tend to be fine. In fact I don't think one has been worthy of any negative comment since Lugar in January. This one was a fud. Completely lost control of the game and there was a minute period where every foul was a yellow card. The red card the visitors received after going 2-1 killed the game and the points stay in Dundee.

Liked this. I enjoy the Midland league. Pretty much exists as it's own thing because no one wants trips to Wick and Brora if they get up. Plenty more Groundhopping Adventures in Dundee to come.

20240803_145443.jpg

20240803_143224.jpg

I've posted some photos of Ashville before so this text is only to record the chaos you can see in the Northwest Counties First Division South, for a fiver.  Ashville 3 - Foley Mere 4.  Foley Mere missed a penalty, hitting the bar and also hit the bar in open play.  They then came back to win after a sending off following their striker sticking his hand in an Ashville player's face, after rolling on top of him for a scuffle.  The first sin-binning I have seen after another Foley Mere infringement and a 90th minute penalty winner added to the value.  Hot weather and an ice cold pint of Madri for under a fiver, too.

Not random because my trip to Balmoral for Cove 1 Annan 3 (att 452) sees me finally complete the spfl 42 !20240803_161716.thumb.jpg.ee919c22398f507fc3a64b1f1da989ef.jpg Annan the greater threat and should have gone in ahead at ht.A better 2nd half saw it go 01/02/12/13. Cove tidy but lifeless up front, only woke up last ten mins. Not a bad ground, inc a decent away following of 50+ Annan fans.20240803_165049.thumb.jpg.de5a309231fc19b1d7d32d7f749326d6.jpg

Troon v Darvel today. Always enjoy a day at Portland Park, a fantastic set up. Pitch immaculate, social club with Sky and a beer garden plus the Scran food concession. Troon miles better than Darvel who didn't look fit never mind a decent team 4v1 ht was the ft score. Troon look a very decent unit, long hard season for Darvel on that showing. Couple of post match pints in McKays beer garden and train home. Canny whack it.

Gala Fairydean 1-5 Hearts B 

As one-sided as the score line suggests. Gala played some decent stuff at times, but for the most part, they struggled to get out of their own half. Macaulay Tait strolled it in the middle of the park and while I don’t know Hearts’ plans for him this season, it feels like a bit of a waste to have him playing in the Lowland League. Also liked the look of Henry Lister at left back. 

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3319.jpeg

Edinburgh City 1-2 Stirling Albion League 2. Last minute change of plans meant was able to squeeze a game in today at Meadowbank. City’s new look team were not as bad as I was expecting and probably a little bit unlucky not to have got a point from this. First half was a bit scrappy with neither side looking particularly good. Second half was a bit better with City taking the lead with cracking strike from outside the box. Stirling then got a scrambled equaliser then scored their own great strike to win it at the death. As has been said before Meadowbank is not a great place to watch football and probably should not be a league venue but biggest disappointment today was the absence of the excellent Edinburgh City programme. Hopefully just a one off and not them stopping producing a programme. Attendance was 243. 

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

17 hours ago, Jute said:

Edinburgh City 1-2 Stirling Albion League 2. Last minute change of plans meant was able to squeeze a game in today at Meadowbank. City’s new look team were not as bad as I was expecting and probably a little bit unlucky not to have got a point from this. First half was a bit scrappy with neither side looking particularly good. Second half was a bit better with City taking the lead with cracking strike from outside the box. Stirling then got a scrambled equaliser then scored their own great strike to win it at the death. As has been said before Meadowbank is not a great place to watch football and probably should not be a league venue but biggest disappointment today was the absence of the excellent Edinburgh City programme. Hopefully just a one off and not them stopping producing a programme. Attendance was 243. 

IMG_0020.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

Lack of programme was a cock-up.. Alick might do a printed version if you ask him nicely/bribe him with drink.

Pity- I believe my East of Scotland season review was going to be included to the delight of all no doubt.

17 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Gala Fairydean 1-5 Hearts B 

As one-sided as the score line suggests. Gala played some decent stuff at times, but for the most part, they struggled to get out of their own half. Macaulay Tait strolled it in the middle of the park and while I don’t know Hearts’ plans for him this season, it feels like a bit of a waste to have him playing in the Lowland League. Also liked the look of Henry Lister at left back. 

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3319.jpeg

The wee stand was pinched by the Pailmerks from Selkirk when they went defunct. It had blue seats originally. The more suitable red seats came from York City's Bootham Crescent. 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Lack of programme was a cock-up.. Alick might do a printed version if you ask him nicely/bribe him with drink.

Pity- I believe my East of Scotland season review was going to be included to the delight of all no doubt.

Glad to hear it was a one off/excuse not to use your article. 

11 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Dundee Utd 2-2 Dundee

An enjoyable way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Some atmosphere. 

I hope you can now appreciate the difference between a derby and St Johnstone playing one of the two Dundee sides.

Please spread the word to your fellow Perthesians.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I hope you can now appreciate the difference between a derby and St Johnstone playing one of the two Dundee sides.

Please spread the word to your fellow Perthesians.

I think most - myself included sometimes - just do it for a rise, albeit that schtick is wearing a bit thin now. 

Hutchison Vale 0-1 Cowdenbeath (0-0 HT) @ Ainslie Park Stadium 🌱. Pre-season Friendly. 7.45pm. A tight game between EOS Premier and Lowland League. The visitors got on top 2nd half and found a winner. Both 🐝🐄 look to be building well for the new season. Crowd 66.

IMG_2253.jpeg

IMG_2254.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

Heart of Midlothian 1-5 Tottenham Hotspur 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 (0-1 HT) @ Tynecastle Park 🌱. Pre-season Friendly. 7pm. A competitive 1st half, the home side levelled through Shankland (46) seconds after coming on before Spurs then showed their superiority 🔥. Crowd 15,646 (2053 away).

IMG_2256.jpeg

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

Ormiston Primrose 2-3 Vale of Leithen (1-0 HT) @ New Recreation Park 🌱. 2.30pm. A final pre-season run out for both sides that came to life 💥 after a tight start. Vale came back from 1-0 and 2-1 down win with an 87th minute ⚽️ free-kick. Crowd 51.

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

Hibernian 2-3 Watford 🐝 (1-2 HT) @ Easter Road Stadium 🌱. 7pm. Pre-season Friendly agreed when Ryan Porteous transferred between these 2 clubs. The visitors came from behind to lead 2-1, Hibs levelled before the English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Championship side found a winner. Crowd 8659.

IMG_2263.jpeg

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2265.jpeg

Vale of Leithen 3-4 Bathgate Thistle (1-3 HT) @ Victoria Park 🌱. EOSFL Division 2 opening day. 2.30pm. The visitors got on top before the break leading 2-0 and 3-1 but Vale fought 💥 back to level. Thistle replied immediately with a 64th minute strike ⚽️ that won it. Crowd 66.

IMG_2266.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

IMG_2268.jpeg

Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare 2-0 Newburgh AET @ Newbattle Complex 🌱. 7.30pm. The sun ☀️ went down on Newburgh’s East of Scotland Qualifying Cup 🏆 hopes at the 2nd Round stage. A hard fought game of very few chances was won by the home side in extra time. Crowd 113.

IMG_2269.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_2271.jpeg

Burntisland Shipyard 4-0 Stirling University (2-0 HT) @ Recreation Park 🌱. 7.30pm. EOSFL Division 2. Friday night action and the home side 🚢 picked up the 3 points with 2 goals in each half seeing off the students. The game finished just before the rain ☔️ came on. Crowd 145.

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg