Snooker

RedWeb

3 minutes ago, microdave said:

Good that we'll have a new name on the trophy. I always enjoy seeing someone win it for the first time. 

First time there have been two new winners in a row since Murphy and Dott in 2005 and 2006.

Posted (edited)

And first final with no former winner since 2005, too. I find it much more interesting than O'Sullivan, Selby, etc in a final for the seventieth time. Mon the Diddies.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

12 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Likewise. Always makes it more interesting the next year wondering if someone can beat the Curse, too.

Jones isn't the flashiest player but he seems to have great bottle, even when people have thrown everything at him he hasn't looked worried.

They showed the career stats of the finalists at the end and I was astounded that Jones has only made 76 centuries in his 14 years as a professional. That seems very low but good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Mad considering that there are some absolute unknowns in the 100+ centuries list.

https://snookerinfo.co.uk/

Makes you appreciate how amazing a player Paul Hunter was that he is still on that list. I was a bit young so didn't realise it at the time

That list is a good read. Im a shameless casual when it comes to snooker, so forgive my ignorance but how can someone like Nigel Bond only have 128 centuries when he was a pretty highly ranked player for the best part of 30 years? 

10 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

That list is a good read. Im a shameless casual when it comes to snooker, so forgive my ignorance but how can someone like Nigel Bond only have 128 centuries when he was a pretty highly ranked player for the best part of 30 years? 

Would guess because his best years were in the nineties when there were sometimes only about half a dozen tournaments in a season. There are about twenty each year now.

There's a certain grim fascination in watching someone crumble on the biggest stage. That "time since last pot" counter creeping up to the forty minute mark for Jones in this Dad's Army final.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Makes you appreciate how amazing a player Paul Hunter was that he is still on that list. I was a bit young so didn't realise it at the time

Once you've made one hundred centuries you stay on the list.

12 minutes ago, printer said:

Once you've made one hundred centuries you stay on the list.

I was going to edit it after I noticed my mistake, but I assumed people would understand what I meant

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

people with monday night tickets can probably start making other plans

Don't worry, they'll wheel out Dennis Taylor and Davis for another half hour exhibition. Dennis will stick on his funny glasses and do his finger wag and the place will be in stitches. Fun for all the family.