Snooker

RedWeb

8 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Anyway, what the f**k am I supposed to do with my life now the tournament is finished? We should really get an extra bank holiday to take the edge off.

Good news on that front - a big, exciting day coming up.

Spoiler

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952wptvimkbw9atlxsuhd3

10 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

To finish with a century break too. Best man won. Did anybody notice who the miserable guy was when everyone was cheering. He was front row in background no even clapping :lol:

20230501_222607~2.jpg

He's a steward, he's been sitting on the stairs all through the tourney with a couple of others. First I've ever noticed it tbh.

Delighted for Brecel, but it's just great to have a new name on the trophy as it has seemed to be the same guys who have been playing forever who have won for years.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He's a steward, he's been sitting on the stairs all through the tourney with a couple of others. First I've ever noticed it tbh.

Delighted for Brecel, but it's just great to have a new name on the trophy as it has seemed to be the same guys who have been playing forever who have won for years.

Think they started the stair sitting thing after those protestors got onto the table. 

11 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Can't believe Steve Davis going on about his refreshing swashbuckling style.

He was the guy that invented these long boring, endless safety sessions.

He never took on a pot unless it was a dead cert.

Tbf to Davis though, that was the way just about everybody played then when he was breaking through, guys like Reardon, Spencer etc. Only a very few players tried anything remotely adventurous. 

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Snooker match-fixing scandal: Liang Wenbo and Li Hang handed lifetime bans (plus significant bans for eight other players including Zhao Xintong and Yan Bingtao) -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65641122

The two who got life bans seemed like nasty pieces of work. The others who were (not an Excuse) coerced into fixing games are gonna have a hard time coming back (if they do) into world snooker once their bans are up.

47 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It's such an easy game to fix, really, I can't see why you'd go to such trouble to bring so many people into the fix, meaning that getting caught becomes pretty much inevitable.

My old boss was a club player and had a few games against pros in exhibitions etc and would regularly rack up 50 and 60 breaks no bother. He reckoned it was the easiest game in the world to fix. Just a slight wee deviation, blame a bad contact, put a bit too much side on, run slightly out of position...

• 1 month later...

Watching Championship League Snooker in Viaplay Xtra. 

Shambles. The system for keeping score has failed, so they are using snooker club wooden boards to keep score. The camera keeps cutting to the board, but nobody can read it. Two players but three scored listed. The commentators are clueless about what is going on. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I see Kyren Wilson and Anthony McGill have started using the pool gloves to combat sticky conditions. McGill has gone even further and was apparently using a carbon fiber cue against Jimmy White. 

Not sure about the cues but I am surprised it's taken this long for the gloves to catch on. Use one myself, hugely better feeling cueing.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DannyBlue

Is anyone going to the Scottish Open next month? I got my dad a ticket for his birthday and going along for a full day's play. Never been to a snooker event in my life and I'm really looking forward to it.

On 16/11/2023 at 17:27, DannyBlue said:

Is anyone going to the Scottish Open next month? I got my dad a ticket for his birthday and going along for a full day's play. Never been to a snooker event in my life and I'm really looking forward to it.

I might be able to if i get a day off work. Never been to a tournament but have been to some exhibitions but would really like to get to a tournament. Higgins pumped out the Champions last night by Allen, he played good at the start but started missing after the break. Allen played well though.