Snooker

RedWeb

Shaun Murphy wins the 2nd session 7-1 to take his lead to 13-3 and he only needs 4 more frames for a place in the final.

Barry Hawkins must win 5 frames tonight to stop this match from being over with a session to spare.

Someone on Eurosport today was sooking O'Sullivan dry, 'all of Hendry's successes were in the 90's, Ronnie has been consistently better over a longer period of time'.

Absolute horseshit.

Consistently better over a longer period and still only 5 world titles.

Eurosport :lol:

My friend loves Ronnie. Says he is the greatest snooker player of all time. Always states that he has more talent than Hendry, just that Hendry had more desire. I pointed out to him that Stephen Hendry didn't win a World Championship over the age of thirty, and pretty much gave up the practise hours around the same time. The fact that Ronnie has won three world championships over that age shows (to me anyway) that he has more desire than Stephen. I also stated that he would love to beat every single record Hendry has in snooker.

He then conceded that Ronnie had just as much desire as Hendry. Then you go for the killer question, if the desire was there, and he is more talented? Why has he only won five? He shut up then.

Not really a glamorous last 4 is it? Judd the new pin up boy is the most exciting.

A few years ago you would have rarely seen guys like Hawkins and Bingham in a semi final of the World Championship. You have guys like Joe Perry and Ricky Walden creeping up the rankings out of nowhere whilst guys like John Higgins seem to be slipping into mediocrity. Not a huge snooker fan I don't watch every event and keep tabs on it on a daily basis so forgive me if I am wide of the mark but jeez it seems to have completely turned on its head.

What has changed? Are these guys now peaking once they hit 30? Is the introduction of more events helping them out, getting them higher rankings? Guys like O'Sullivan and Higgins struggling to get motivated for the smaller tournaments and its effecting their form for the big events?

To be fair to Sean Murphy he has won a few titles in his time and has been consistent in his rankings, still a boring git though.

What has changed? Are these guys now peaking once they hit 30? Is the introduction of more events helping them out, getting them higher rankings? Guys like O'Sullivan and Higgins struggling to get motivated for the smaller tournaments and its effecting their form for the big events?

To be fair to Sean Murphy he has won a few titles in his time and has been consistent in his rankings, still a boring git though.

There has been a lack of domestic players coming through in recent years, which can be put down to more distractions and less prize money. Which explains why the older players are more dominant. Ever since Hearn changed the tournament schedule, it's caused more burnout and the overall standard of the World's has dropped over the last 5 years. We're unlikely to see the standard we saw in the 09 World's for a very long time if ever. I think over the next 10-20 years it's inevitable we're going to see tournaments dominated by foreign players, especially the Chinese, which could lead to calls to host the World's somewhere other that Sheffield.

Murphy wins the first frame, but Hawkins wins the next three including two century breaks to go in 14-6 down at the mid session interval. He's been helped by Murphy missing a couple of shots that he probably wouldn't even have tried if the game was tighter.

Lucky :lol:

He was better than Trump over the course the match, just like he was markedly better than O'Sullivan in the quarter final. He's been one of the best players in the tournament and is deservedly in the final.