Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

2016 interview with Israeli-American author Jeff Halper, speculating on why Israel continues to receive international support: https://inthesetimes.com/article/israel-palestine-occupation-jeff-halper-war-against-the-people.

...what I came to was the military-security-policing elements. The quid pro quo is that Israel serves elites. The political, military and economic elites, wherever they are in the world — from the Global North through the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) countries and down into the Global South.

Israel has emerged as world leader in repressing a troublesome population. If you think about it, Israel is a state of just under 10M people. The Palestinian Territories contain just under 5M people. So Israel manages to repress a population as large as half its own population. That's some feat of repression, made all the more unlikely when we consider 2M of those 10M Israelis are actually Palestinian-Israelis, who don't partake in the repression of the Palestinian Territories. 

Israel generalizes Palestine. It creates what I call Global Palestine,” the Palestinization of weapons of security in order to meet the specific needs of each country or each set of hegemons that they’re serving.

Today the capitalist elites — the corporations, the governments that serve them, the militaries that serve them — are under tremendous stress. Capitalism has always been an expanding system, spreading into new markets, new frontiers. But now, it’s captured the entire world. There are no new markets, there are no new places, so the capitalist system has started feeding off itself

What's being said there is that capitalist elites expand their control less by warfare nowadays (although that does still happen, eg. Russia in Ukraine) but rather by furthering domestic repression.

Events since that above interview with Halper continue to back up his thesis. The EU border agency Frontex has since contracted Israeli security companies which gained their expertise from surveilling Gazans. There's the infamous Pegasus Spyware, first developed by Israel to spy on Palestinians, which they've now sold to governments around the world. Plenty repression has been aided by it, Saudi's murder of Jamal Khashoggi being an example. Then Azerbaijan recently "Palestinianed" a segment of their population, the Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians, with substantial assistance from Israel.

Edited by Freedom Farter

5 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Thousand of people killed. Hundreds of thousands without homes. More than 2 million being deprived of the basic needs of survival INTENTIONALLY. This is genocide. This is genocide that is supported by western governments and western media. NATO, the EU and many others are all complicit. f**k Israel and f**k every single one of its apologists. 

It is not genocide because there is no evidence that the goal is to literally exterminate the population. 

It is both a state of war and more relevantly a state of siege. The atrocities that you state are undoubtedly happening to some degree - those are war crimes and those are the inevitable result of besieging any significant population centre. A siege is not an attempt to exterminate though: a siege ends with the surrender of the armed force within it. 

Genocide should be viewed asan entirely separate category, though it really doesn't help when roasters have been claiming 'genocide' for the alleged transport of children from one state to another, and even 'ecocide' for blowing up dams etc. It's a term that is fast losing its analytical value and becoming a propaganda term thrown at the enemy. Which will of course enable the next genuine act of genocide to proceed under the cover of spin and exaggeration. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

20231012_164105.thumb.jpg.55456fa09dd2c9e33e2325df6e44b8ac.jpg

I'm pretty sure this guy was saying that lighting up buildings and so on was unacceptable virtue signalling wokery a while back, but hey, he understands that the only rule is there are no rules.

Is he not the guy that thinks you can grow concrete? It’s good that really stupid people are represented in the media.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Is he not the guy that thinks you can grow concrete? It’s good that really stupid people are represented in the media.

That was Mike Graham. I'd prefer daftness was contained rather than spread, but there we are. 

48 minutes ago, coprolite said:

40 minutes ago, Michael W said:

That was Mike Graham. I'd prefer daftness was contained rather than spread, but there we are. 

Yeah, plenty thickos in the media for sure. However, they are smart enough to realise that they are the ones holding the microphone which gives them the opportunity to roar varying levels of horseshit at anyone they disapprove of. There's no event, no horrifying tragedy anywhere that cannot be used to scream at (delete as appropriate) the FA/the BBC/students/climate protestors/minorities/the general public.

All the righteous indignation seems to have abated as Israel carries out war crimes against Palestinians.  It’s this sort of one-sidedness by Western governments that has contributed to the problems that led to the Hamas attack.

That's Nick Ferrari another right wing arse piece who talks shit before O'Brien who defends his inane drivel to the hilt. 

the Broadcasting Standards Commission upheld a complaint against Ferrari, finding that his programme's "active reinforcement of prejudiced views about asylum seekers had exceeded acceptable boundaries for transmission"

In September 2019, Ferrari said, after a visit to Israel, "I'd been given an insight into a country that I've always admired and I now revered".

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

That's Nick Ferrari another right wing arse piece who talks shit before O'Brien who defends his inane drivel to the hilt. 

the Broadcasting Standards Commission upheld a complaint against Ferrari, finding that his programme's "active reinforcement of prejudiced views about asylum seekers had exceeded acceptable boundaries for transmission"

In September 2019, Ferrari said, after a visit to Israel, "I'd been given an insight into a country that I've always admired and I now revered".

Nick, if you’re reading this, I apologise.

for impugning your concrete knowledge, not for calling you stupid. I don’t actually know anything about you but you do look stupid.

The tweet's caption reads "Documentation: A settler shot a Palestinian from point blank range in the village of At-Tuwani". There's an IDF soldier there who witnesses it and seems supportive of the settler's action. So while nothing like the catastrophe of Gaza, the West Bank situation is still grim.

24 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

The tweet's caption reads "Documentation: A settler shot a Palestinian from point blank range in the village of At-Tuwani". There's an IDF soldier there who witnesses it and seems supportive of the settler's action. So while nothing like the catastrophe of Gaza, the West Bank situation is still grim.

Utterly appalling.

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

Hamas must see the West Bank as some sort of cautionary tale about what happens if you don’t fight and engage in the peace process instead. The carrot/stick mix from the Israeli right is a tad on the woody side, and not very orange.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Hamas must see the West Bank as some sort of cautionary tale about what happens if you don’t fight and engage in the peace process instead. The carrot/stick mix from the Israeli right is a tad on the woody side, and not very orange.

I don't think Hamas are particularly interested in the fluffy clouds and harmonious co-existence scenario you're painting here, that would happen if only Israel wasn't so cruel tbh. That doesn't excuse Israel's completely illegal policies of occupation and colonisation of the West Bank, but the idea that Hamas have been pushed into a violent stance by the actions of the other side needs knocking on the head.

Your points certainly explain why some ordinary Gaza Palestinians look to Hamas for leadership, but the group itself are committed to an extremist solution regardless.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The Gaza Strip has a big advantage of having a direct border with Egypt that is under Palestinian control. The Palestinian controlled portions of the West Bank don't have that with Jordan so even if Hamas took control there it would be a lot more difficult for them to do what they are doing militarily in the Gaza Strip.