Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

...It's especially bad in the context of the United States where it's either all Joe Biden's fault or all Donald Trump's fault

Just shows how self-centred they are that they think what their political leaders do always makes the pivotal difference. Hamas have been building up their military prowess to this point for years and that means every so often regardless of who is US president they'll be launching missles at Israeli cities and trying to infiltrate.

The last time the Israelis tried a big invasion-style operation they found it very hard going against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon. They found out the hard way that they have a generation that grew up with playstations in their parents' basement, who are really not that keen on fighting kids who grew up in refugee camps. It's not the 60s or 70s any more when both side grew up in tough spartan environments.

Their answer has been high tech solutions like Iron Dome so they do not need to go in and control the ground missiles are being fired from and simply pulverising the Gaza Strip into submission from fighter jets and helicopters. If Iron Dome can now be overwhelmed by firing huge numbers of missiles simultaneously, and they ever wound up fighting an opponent with the sort of anti-tank and anti-aircraft weaponry the Russians and Ukrainians have access to...

Hezbollah and the Iranians aren't going to be busy with the Syrian conflict forever so as far as I can see they really do need to find a viable peace deal but the way their politics work right now that's a one-way ticket to political oblivion.

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

One of the problems with social media is direct access to some really harrowing content. We have seen it in Ukraine and we are now seeing it here. Not to get too deep about it but it makes me think about the world I've brought a child in to. Never mind air fairy heaven and hell tales, there is genuinely hell on earth in certain areas.

On the slightly brighter side of the coin, this exposes everyone, particularly the younger generations, to the horrors of war (without having to live it) - and should give much more reason to push for peace, and a better world overall.

If we don't see the shocking content that is coming from Israel/Gaza, Ukraine, etc.; nobody knows what it looks like. It may be a "problem" of social media, or it may be one of it's benefits.

7 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

Some HAMAS mouthpiece denying that they killed any civilians at the music festival on Sky News.

The problem with the post truth world we are in today is that half the folk hearing it will think its lies and the other half will think -  Aha, I knew it wasn't them. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

As grim as what’s already happened is, you’d think so-called civilisation would be a wee bit more cautious about a country announcing that it’s going to “effectively obliterate” a densely populated area of 2.5 million people.

Nope, “full support” all the way.

Sieges are only disgraceful war crimes that the International Community Must Universally Condemn when white Europeans are the ones under the gun. Ditto the two-tier handling of refugees from conflict zones. 

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

On the slightly brighter side of the coin, this exposes everyone, particularly the younger generations, to the horrors of war (without having to live it) - and should give much more reason to push for peace, and a better world overall.

Pretty sure I saw an advert on ITV X for a new series of Big Brother.  I reckon that’s likely to grab far more of the attention of the ‘younger generations’.

Spoiler

Apologies for the sarcasm, flippancy and cynicism.  I wish people, particularly younger people, would pay more attention to these events but I don’t see it happening unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Pretty sure I saw an advert on ITV X for a new series of Big Brother.  I reckon that’s likely to grab far more of the attention of the ‘younger generations’.

Hide contents

Apologies for the sarcasm, flippancy and cynicism.  I wish people, particularly younger people, would pay more attention to these events but I don’t see it happening unfortunately.

I think it’s the opposite to be honest. Apps like telegram make horror content like this readily available and easy to share around. It happened when I was at school and it will be happening now. 

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

I think it’s the opposite to be honest. Apps like telegram make horror content like this readily available and easy to share around. It happened when I was at school and it will be happening now. 

Sharing horror content for cheap thrills and learning from it are different things.

18 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I just can't get my head round Zelenskyy's reaction to this. I mean, I understand why he's done it but still.... the brass neck

In an existential struggle your enemy's enemy is your friend. Iran has been backing Hamas alongside supplying Russia with drones and missiles. Israel has been a bit reticent about helping Ukraine, it's a no lose situation for Ukraine to back Israel given the situation they're in, also in regards to the doubts about continued American support. Moral nuances go out of the window when the shit hits the fan. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Hamas have said they will execute a hostage every time Israel targets a civilian house without warning. They’ve said they’ll release audio and video of the executions.

Was about to say the very same.

Looks like the Israelis stopping roof knocks in Gaza has consequences now.🙁

7 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Looks like the Israelis stopping roof knocks in Gaza has consequences now

If roof knocks means bombing apartment buildings, when did that stop? 

Edited by welshbairn

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Sharing horror content for cheap thrills and learning from it are different things.

Yes but your point was that they wouldn’t pay attention to it. For what it’s worth I think you’re doing the yoof a bit of an injustice.