Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

A founding principle that the UN has dinghied since just about day 1 of its existence, with the veto power of the Security Council states giving licence to do so. 

If the Roma/whatever term those groups prefer start to organise on the principle that they require a territorial state to exercise self-determination, over the course of decades, then they absolutely do have the same right and existing states should respect and adjust to that new reality. Of course, they wouldn't. 

Whether that new sovereign entity chooses to grant the same rights to co-nationals living around the world is up to them really. 

The grounds for Israel and Palestinian arguments may be shaky - but they're no less shaky that the foundations of any traditional, Western European nation as and when some group has the temerity to contest that territory. As we've seen often enough on these islands. 

The U.N. hasn’t always backed self determination for anyone that asks for it but it’s not ignored it either. They’ve generally recognised declarations of independence by former colonies without much controversy.

The Roma wouldn’t have that right because they’re not “a people” as defined for the charter. They’re not the population of a territory. The first principle they’d need to organise on would be to occupy a recognisable territory.

The populations of Gaza and Israel each would almost certainly qualify as “a people” and should have a right to self determination over the territories in which they are currently the population.

But neither would have any legal claim to occupy new land outside that area just because their ancestors occupied it. 

That’s basically the claim that Hamas are advocating. That Israel shouldn’t occupy historically Palestinian land.

It’s also largely the founding principle of Zionism, going even further back to claim a territory for a diaspora. To be fair there are also more recent claims for land that was taken over the last couple of centuries too.

Historical claims are not covered or effected by the right to self determination (even if it was going to be evenly and fairly applied). 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

If you want my constructive opinion on your view that there has to be a shared state, it’s that that’s what I’d expect someone with poo in their head to say, mr poopy poo poo head.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Edited by beefybake

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Riley is desperate to make herself be seen as a victim. The other night 'she was going for baklava' (look! I'm eating an Arab food, don't you dare accuse me of not trying to be inclusive) and some folks waving a flag terrified her so much she had to phone the polis. 

Not just a Baklava, a Baclava with her Ukrainian friends.

IMG_7495.gif

Guest DannyBlue
4 minutes ago, throbber said:

Not just a Baklava, a Baclava with her Ukrainian friends.

IMG_7495.gif

Yip and also hardly the type of thing you'd go out and do if she was as terrified as she pretended to be in the first tweet.

2 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

What is the internet for, if not for dunking on the people you don't like ?

Of course, I love it. 

I'm just surprised I've not seen their negative stuff considering I'm terminally online. I'm always intrigued with personality types and what content gets pushed towards them. Probably fair to say the two mentioned are popular dislikable figures for your more left wing types. 

8 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Of course, I love it. 

I'm just surprised I've not seen their negative stuff considering I'm terminally online. I'm always intrigued with personality types and what content gets pushed towards them. Probably fair to say the two mentioned are popular dislikable figures for your more left wing types. 

Certainly on Twitter I think Elmo's buggered about with the algorithm so that it hits you with the precise flavor of arsehole that's going to make you press buttons and drive engagement. I only follow 40 or so folks so it's noticeable for me. When I started following Katy Montgomerie, a whack of 'gender criticals' started popping up in my 'For You' tab. Following the ChicagosMayor account gets you every right wing arsehole columnist under the sun, although interestingly, it's more often folks just taking aim at Chicago rather than Brandon Johnson himself - I'd guess because the handle gets passed on to the next Mayor when the old one gets humped out of office.  Following Mukhtar Ali Yassin gets you every brainfart Laurence Fox commits to bandwidth (Fox is currently trying to sue him for Mukhtar calling him a racist and then telling him to 'suck your mum' when Fox demanded an apology. Good geez.) I don't get Riley or Baddiel; I only see them if someone quotes them. I'm presuming that's because I don't follow any accounts that would take an opposing position to them, or regularly bring them up. 

Edited by carpetmonster

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Notice she had to mention they were "Ukrainian" friends, attention-seeking c**t.

I think this was the tweet that led me to block her, despite not following her in the first place. 

It reminded me of a comedian who was on a bus, she filmed Scotland fans in Edinburgh who were drunk in the street, the bus had to stop for them and a couple banged on the front window in tune with the song they were singing. The comedian got out her seat to go down the front of the bus to get better footage and then posted it and mentioned how traumatised she was by the whole ordeal. 

Thats a scary situation, I best walk towards it to ensure maximum terror for likes. 

The English FA are being attacked for commemorating the all the innocent people who are now dead.

Not sure if it's just the batshit mental twittersphere or if the whole world has gone mad.

Imagine raging at a football association. Imagine being raging at someone saying dead babies are a bad thing regardless of their nationality and religion.

At least the English FA have a bit of morality, unlike some...

20231012_165925.thumb.jpg.e14a814178ea232acfd37c3deaa37977.jpg...Screenshot_20231012_171012.thumb.jpg.cc76cb5eecc9fa6fb34846765bbb6390.jpg

...Screenshot_20231012_170849.thumb.jpg.024bf3da5dbf68b81cdcda522c1eee4a.jpg

Couldn't make it up..

Spoiler

For Clarity: the Times of Israel article was published c. 13 hours ago. The tweet, as shown, was at least 24 hours ago.

The 'siege'/blockade was reported days ago - and Israel have done it for a long time at varying scales.

Just wanted to be clear because I had moved the screenshots around a bit to make the point clearer.

Edited by ClydeTon
See spoiler.