Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

12 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Riley is desperate to make herself be seen as a victim. The other night 'she was going for baklava' (look! I'm eating an Arab food, don't you dare accuse me of not trying to be inclusive) and some folks waving a flag terrified her so much she had to phone the polis. 

Notice she had to mention they were "Ukrainian" friends, attention-seeking c**t.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is she not a massive TERF as well?

Maybe, maybe not. She went to bat for Rowling, but explained that "I think a lot of the attacks on JK Rowling are really because she spoke out for Jews and against Jeremy Corbyn and antisemitism". Whether that's wilful denial of reality or just attention-seeking monomania speaking is a question for a highly qualified shrink. 

19 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Baddiel positions himself as an anti racism expert after doing blackface.

He also has a long history of racism against gypsy travellers, and also called a GRT group antisemitic for having a holocaust memorial flyer that didn’t specifically mention the Jews.

The guy is a complete c**t. 

I'm sure David Baddiel's viewpoint is as worthwhile as anyone's on these matters , what baffles me about him is why it appears to be seen as more important and therefore garners him endless media opportunities .? He appears to have no descernible talent other than occasional appearing as the unfunny half of a comedy double act, although to be fair to him he has done that twice. 

Edited by kennie makevin

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Like all law it protects the interests of the legislators first and foremost but there is still an established basis in treaties and the like. The right to self determination is an established right in international law. It hasn't always been but has been a principle of the UN since it was founded.

A founding principle that the UN has dinghied since just about day 1 of its existence, with the veto power of the Security Council states giving licence to do so. 

Self determination doesn't necessarily require a state though. It does, as you say, require a territory. 

So when the likes of Stan say something along the lines of "clearly the Jews/Palestinians have a right to a homeland" he is speaking shite (legally). 

A British Jew or a British ethnic Palestinian living in London or New York has no more of a right to a homeland where Israel currently is than I do. 

I find it hard to see the argument for a moral right either. Stan's argument about why Jews should have a homeland could easily apply to Roma. They don't have the benefit of their history being in abook that's culturally significant to the ruling elite though. Do they have a right to a single territory based on a two millenia previous occupation? I'm not saying that Israel shouldn't exist or shouldn't be a home state for Israeli Jews but that assigning a state as a homeland for people worldwide just on the basis of common culture is dumb.  This is less obviously shite than the legal position though and there are arguments. 

If the Roma/whatever term those groups prefer start to organise on the principle that they require a territorial state to exercise self-determination, over the course of decades, then they absolutely do have the same right and existing states should respect and adjust to that new reality. Of course, they wouldn't. 

Whether that new sovereign entity chooses to grant the same rights to co-nationals living around the world is up to them really. 

The grounds for Israel and Palestinian arguments may be shaky - but they're no less shaky that the foundations of any traditional, Western European nation as and when some group has the temerity to contest that territory. As we've seen often enough on these islands. 

43 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Riley is desperate to make herself be seen as a victim. The other night 'she was going for baklava' (look! I'm eating an Arab food, don't you dare accuse me of not trying to be inclusive) and some folks waving a flag terrified her so much she had to phone the polis. 

Bonus points for the 'our Ukrainian friends' addition to virtue-signalling. The morally upright update to the 'some of my best friends are...' gambit that 2020s Britain deserves.

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

They're two people I often see referenced on here but very rarely ever see anything that they've said and I'm on Twitter quite a lot. I can't recall seeing anything detestable from them in the past decade, I'm going to go out on a limb and through judging the posters that have mentioned them presume they weren't a fan of Corbyn?

Some people just absolutley love to consume content that they know will rile them up, a good ol' hate read. 

Rachel Riley is a despicable human being and always has been

?type=og-image

Edited by Jives Miguel

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Israel have now bombed 2 major airports in Syria, but of a left field move unless they are using US guidance systems.

Probably programming the weapons with a Garmin GPS. All those names over there look the same, whoops…