Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Could you draw us up a table.

Serbia

Croatia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Slovenia

North Macedonia

Kosovo

Montenegro

I'm not sure if there's any further prospect of Bosnia and Herzegovina splitting into their two separate parts like Serbia and Montenegro did.

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I am not an expert on the matter but I had the opinion that Bosnia or even Yugoslavia worked reasonably well until troublesome leaders made a determined effort to exaggerate all differences and demand ethnic purity wherever possible.

I don't think Palestine worked too badly for Jews, Christians and Muslims under the Ottomans. Apparently the worst ones for stirring things up in the 19th Century were the Christian Arabs. 

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Could you draw us up a table.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Serbia

Croatia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Slovenia

North Macedonia

Kosovo

Montenegro

I'm not sure if there's any further prospect of Bosnia and Herzegovina splitting into their two separate parts like Serbia and Montenegro did.

Would give every side the same number of post-split games for a top/bottom four split though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Any feasibility of a 2 state solution was wrecked years ago and getting more obviously so every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/21/the-most-successful-land-grab-strategy-since-1967-as-settlers-push-bedouins-off-west-bank-territory

Yes , there will never be a 2 state solution is a sick joke pro Israeli lobby uses to pretend they want peace.

Netenyahu supported Hamas he doesn't want a reasonable government there he wants terrorists in charge so he can say to the world , we can never deal with these people

Screenshot_20231016-070454.png

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

So you effectively have a 7-state solution there (if we include Kosovo as a recognised independent country). They don't particularly like each other and occasionally you get flare ups at international football matches, but guns aren't being fired on a daily basis.

I'm not sure the strength of hatred is as strong there though. Serbs want Kosovo to be part of their country. They don't want all Kosovans dead.

It was more complicated than that.  Yugoslavia was created as the Kingdom of Southern Slavs taking parts of the Hapsburg Empire and parts of the Ottoman Empire.  There were 6 states within that and Serbia had to autonomous regions (Kosovo in the South and Vojvodina in the North).

Even then the Serbs were not exclusively in Serbia or the Croatians exclusively in Croatia.

Somehow they managed to get along and even had the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in Bosnia.

Then hotheads like Milosovic and Tudjman wrecked it all and caused one war after another.

Imagine you can no longer live next door to someone because they use a different calendar.  Pathetic.

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

Serbia

Croatia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Slovenia

North Macedonia

Kosovo

Montenegro

Bosnia-Herzegovina is actually split between 3 ethnic groups and corresponding administrative areas. Bosnia is the Bosniak (or Bosnian Muslim) bit. Herzegovina is the Bosnian Croat bit. There's also Republika Srpska, the Bosnian Serb bit. I don't know why but the Serb bit wasn't included in the nation's name. Bosnia-Herzegovina-Srpska would've been a bit ridiculous so maybe one had to be dropped.

Edited by Freedom Farter

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Serbia

Croatia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Slovenia

North Macedonia

Kosovo

Montenegro

Now that would be a tasty World Cup qualifying group

25 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Bosnia-Herzegovina is actually split between 3 ethnic groups and corresponding administrative areas. Bosnia is the Bosniak (or Bosnian Muslim) bit. Herzegovina is the Bosnian Croat bit. There's also Republika Srpska, the Bosnian Serb bit. I don't know why but the Serb bit wasn't included in the nation's name. Bosnia-Herzegovina-Sprska would've been a bit ridiculous so maybe one had to be dropped.

Herzegovina is just a sub-region of Bosnia-Herzegovina.  Maybe it has more Croatians but that is because it is closer to Croatia.

41 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Serbia

Croatia

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Slovenia

North Macedonia

Kosovo

Montenegro

Historically before Yugoslavia was created, Montenegro was a separate country.

Fun Fact: When it became independent, its internet domain switched from .yu  to .me

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Is the strength of hatred between Israeli Jews and Israeli Arabs as strong as the strength of hatred between Israeli Jews and Palestinian Muslims?

You're trying to create an equivalence between the oppressors and the oppressed.

4 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Now that would be a tasty World Cup qualifying group

A real group of........no, best not.

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Historically before Yugoslavia was created, Montenegro was a separate country.

Fun Fact: When it became independent, its internet domain switched from .yu  to .me

brothers chuckle GIF

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It was more complicated than that.  Yugoslavia was created as the Kingdom of Southern Slavs taking parts of the Hapsburg Empire and parts of the Ottoman Empire.  There were 6 states within that and Serbia had to autonomous regions (Kosovo in the South and Vojvodina in the North).

Even then the Serbs were not exclusively in Serbia or the Croatians exclusively in Croatia.

Somehow they managed to get along and even had the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in Bosnia.

Then hotheads like Milosovic and Tudjman wrecked it all and caused one war after another.

Imagine you can no longer live next door to someone because they use a different calendar.  Pathetic.

It's actually even more complicated than that, as Yugoslavia 1 (up to 1941) was de facto an expanded Kingdom of Serbia imposing a centralising force on its constituent territories. Yugoslavia 2 under Tito was, like most Communist states, more pragmatic on the national questions.

You also have to add Albania into the mix as it was made independent largely at the behest of Austria-Hungary before WW1, and its statehood/territory controlled has been up for grabs at various points since. 

You don't get Tudjman and Milosevic (or Putin and the Donbass separatists) making an impact without *some* underlying tensions in the community to exploit. 

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's actually even more complicated than that, as Yugoslavia 1 (up to 1941) was de facto an expanded Kingdom of Serbia imposing a centralising force on its constituent territories. Yugoslavia 2 under Tito was, like most Communist states, more pragmatic on the national questions.

You also have to add Albania into the mix as it was made independent largely at the behest of Austria-Hungary before WW1, and its statehood/territory controlled has been up for grabs at various points since. 

You don't get Tudjman and Milosevic (or Putin and the Donbass separatists) making an impact without *some* underlying tensions in the community to exploit. 

Yes, I suspect the ethnic tensions were always there but someone like Tito could suppress them or at least hid them from the rest of the world.  Once he was gone, Yugoslavia broke into its constituent parts.  Fair enough.

The real crime was trying to redraw the borders on ethnic grounds along with ethnic cleansing where required. 

As well as the brutality of war, this encouraged the idea that different people cannot live side side even if they had been doing so for centuries.

I despise ethnic purity and the "we are one folk"  rhetoric.  I thought it had been thoroughly defeated in WW2 but apparently not.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

70,000 - 100,000 attend a pro-Palestinian March in London today whilst those shining beacons of Western democracy, France and Germany, have banned such demonstrations.

I counted/estimated about 5-600 in Cardiff today, or 5x to 10x the Gammon speed limit protest.