P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

JOINT 71ST, WITH 8 POINTS FROM 1 VOTE

Pro Evolution Soccer.jpg

Game: Pro Evolution Soccer
Platform: PlayStation 2
Release date: 2001
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-wC7v--qk

Artistic drawings of the main characters of the game, as featured on the retail box art

Game: Persona 5 Royal
Platform: PlayStation 4
Release date: 2019
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pINt_K19EE
Zero Punctuation review (original version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEFtVPFWzw
User comments: "Probably the best turn-based JRPG and perfects the style. Melds the dungeon crawling turn-based JRPG format with a TV show style high school sim that's incredibly well-written and loads of fun. Great cast of characters and a satisfying narrative that doesn't feel like it goes on for upwards of 100 hours."
Poll-maker comments: I'm fucked if I know what this is. People who like it seem to really like it though.

The Godfather, The Game.jpg

Game: The Godfather (The Don's Edition)
Platform: PlayStation 3
Release date: 2007
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CAe9eGoe70

Pokémon special: Gold/Silver/Crystal - Retro Gaming Magazine | Retro Gaming  Magazine

Game: Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Platform: Game Boy Color
Release date: 1999
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BZ3rPY30U
User comments: "Yes, Pokemon games are childish and extremely rudimentary. They were also, at their peak, extremely fun. Generation II edges out Generation III for me, so I've stuck all three games in as one. At the time it felt groundbreaking compared to Red and Blue: there was an internal clock! There was also legendary Pokemon who you essentially had to track! They even let you travel back to Kanto! This is a pick purely driven by nostalgia. It obviously isn't a great game but I loved them."
Poll-maker comments: Not sure I'm buying the self-effacement here. I'm not going to bore you all with my experience of Gold & Silver, but suffice to say I didn't really go in for this generation of games and I'm not totally sure why. Some years ago when I discovered Nuzlocke I played Crystal for the first time and even... what must have been 20 years later, there's still an aura of mystique and grandeur about the early Pokemon games which is unmatched in my experience. Maybe one day I'll complete the Nuzlocke comic trilogy I had planned for Yellow/Crystal/Emerald.

Prey cover art.jpg

Game: Prey
Platform: PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release date: 5th May 2017
Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1xjexCtAFc
Zero Punctuation review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2C8zvTqoGo
Poll-maker comments: I think I'd enjoy this.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

I voted for Persona 5 Royal after I put 170 hours into it last year. Don't think a turn-based JRPG will ever be bettered. The music slaps as well.

Gen 2 Pokemen is still the best, I think. It was also weirdly dark with the animal cruelty and arsehole rival. That dunt the first time you discover Kanto is in the game anaw. I think I read somewhere that they crammed in the available data to get Kanto in hence why places like Cinnabar are just decimated but it's so cool to see how they made that condensed Kanto work lore wise. I've still got them on my DS and I think I might be able to complete the Pokedex. Need to have a go.

I've started Prey three times and it hasn't clicked for whatever reason. I think I just don't click with immersive sims for some reason which is annoying as I do like them. It might be the need to batter everywhere for items. The game oozes atmosphere though.

Godfather was my pick.

Strolling about 1940s NYC, intimidating shopkeepers, hanging around in the periphery of the film story (and getting involved in some of the classic scenes), whacking people off (© It's Always Sunny) - what's not to love?

Really wish they would do a remaster, but apparently EA's rights have lapsed.

Nice to see Prey making an appearance. Had absolutely nothing to do with the original, but was an even closer experience to System Shock 2 than Bioshock was, which automatically puts it in my good books. It basically sets you loose on a big space station with hostile aliens that can mimic anything, and leaves you free to go exploring as you see fit, but there's also a bit of mind-bending hard sci-fi involved.

My only gripe was that it felt like the gameplay could've used a bit more variety to become a genuine classic, as it started to get a little dull after a while, when you were essentially exploring the same areas with the same creatures. While I liked the mimic idea, I wasn't really keen on the alien designs either...I know what they were going for, but I found the oily black tentacle look annoying. Personal taste.

Otherwise the graphics are great, and the sound design was excellent throughout, with some really good voice work by people like Benedict Wong. It's often reduced to a fiver on Steam, which makes it a steal.

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Godfather was my pick.

Strolling about 1940s NYC, intimidating shopkeepers, hanging around in the periphery of the film story (and getting involved in some of the classic scenes), whacking people off (© It's Always Sunny) - what's not to love?

Genuinely thought someone had great memories of the old Amiga game at first. No idea they'd made another one more recently.

The Wind Waker was one of mine. My favourite Zelda game, one that gets a lot of unfair stick because folk can't look past the 'childish' graphics. It's phenomenal.

On 19/03/2021 at 17:51, Fuctifano said:

If there was a top-20 I think PIrates would have made mine, played the AGA version on the Amiga and the Gold! Version on PC / Emulator.

Think my main criticism of it was the absolute ball-breaking amount of time it took to travel West -> East against the prevailing winds, especially with any boat bigger than a pinnace. By the time you got there it took about a year and your crew were bored or mutinous.

Nightmare when you were trying to track down a lost relative in Vera Cruz then the next destination you had to go to was St Martin (I too now know this bit of the Caribbean scarily well). A speed up time option would have been great. But for the time it was a cracking game.

That aside, surprised to see a vote for GTA 1 though I suppose without GTA1 there wouldn't be 4 games which will no doubt be in the top 20 come the end of this poll. As I said in the GTA3 discussion I enjoyed 1 and 2 for what they were but doubt they play great now.

Just spent a few hours playing the 2004 remake, was £6 or £7 off steam.

it's quite a nice update though seems a lot easier (don't ever remember making it to Duke which I've done within 4 years)and the addition of in game crew eg navigator and objects that boost certain skills are good things, overall its a bit more varied. 

Nice that you can fight famous pirates of the time and there's a Knights of the Sky style "leader board" where your in game notoriety rises in rank. 

It's still a c**t to travel west to east though, haven't gone any further west than Cartagena and fortunately none of the fetch quests have sent me further than that. 

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

The Wind Waker was one of mine. My favourite Zelda game, one that gets a lot of unfair stick because folk can't look past the 'childish' graphics. It's phenomenal.

Its a great game but I remember getting to a point where you had to go hunt for Triforce pieces and it being a bit laborious 

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Just spent a few hours playing the 2004 remake, was £6 or £7 off steam.

it's quite a nice update though seems a lot easier (don't ever remember making it to Duke which I've done within 4 years)and the addition of in game crew eg navigator and objects that boost certain skills are good things, overall its a bit more varied. 

Nice that you can fight famous pirates of the time and there's a Knights of the Sky style "leader board" where your in game notoriety rises in rank. 

It's still a c**t to travel west to east though, haven't gone any further west than Cartagena and fortunately none of the fetch quests have sent me further than that. 

I did actually forget about that w-> e annoyance but you're spot on. So frustrating finally hooking yourself a galleon, then basically crawling across the map for the rest of the game 

Edit: and btw, Knights of the Sky. Fucking YES ♥ 

Edited by madwullie

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Godfather was my pick.

I felt affronted that Al Pacino chose to give his voice to the Scarface game that was released the same year instead of this. Both were cracking wee GTA knock-offs that added their own cool stuff.

Absolutely loved defending the Corleone compund.

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

I have a vague memory of a big gamer outrage at the graphics and even at about 12 noticing it was only aimed at the graphics of the game and little else. Gamers absolutely do not deserve to be treated as anything more than petulant children.

7 hours ago, ConcernedReferee said:

Its a great game but I remember getting to a point where you had to go hunt for Triforce pieces and it being a bit laborious 

That's fair enough, although I'd say that most Zelda games have a part that's like that.

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

Edit: and btw, Knights of the Sky. Fucking YES ♥ 

Knights of the Sky was one of those games where I read a good review, got it from the aforementioned Barras stalls for £2, the cracked version worked but because it was a MicroProse game everything you needed to know was in the 250 page manual about how to fly a WW1 plane, so it wasn't til I replayed it on an emulator years later I got best value from it. 

Played it again post lockdown 1 but the only version I could find that worked was corrupted and wouldn't get past about 1916. 

A good game but never in contention for a top ten place. 

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I have a vague memory of a big gamer outrage at the graphics and even at about 12 noticing it was only aimed at the graphics of the game and little else. Gamers absolutely do not deserve to be treated as anything more than petulant children.

You're forgetting the fact it's a Nintendo game and is therefore aimed at children anyway